What's new
What's new

About To Order A Tormach 1100M

Hello,

I am about to order a Tormach 1100M, I am familiar with Solidworks/Inventor but not with CAM software. I am getting this machine to make low volume gun parts/modifications to firearms as well as do some engraving on aluminum (logos/lettering). I just wanted to create an account her because I know I'm going to have questions along the way, and I also wanted to ask if anyone had any promo codes they weren't going to use.

I plan to include my work in several videos on my YouTube channel, if anything is of interest to you guys I can hopefully share that stuff here.

Thanks!

Hello,

I am about to order a Tormach 1100M, I am familiar with Solidworks/Inventor but not with CAM software. I am getting this machine to make low volume gun parts/modifications to firearms as well as do some engraving on aluminum (logos/lettering). I just wanted to create an account her because I know I'm going to have questions along the way, and I also wanted to ask if anyone had any promo codes they weren't going to use.

I plan to include my work in several videos on my YouTube channel, if anything is of interest to you guys I can hopefully share that stuff here.

Thanks!

Most of the guys here run industrial equipment and tend to look down upon hobby grade stuff like the Tormach. Saying that, you'd be better off going to another site if you're looking for discount codes for their stuff.

My advice is to save your money and buy a better albeit used machine. In the long run you'll be happier you did.

Hello,

Thanks!

I would not mess with a Toy mach, buy a real mill. you will be glad you did.

I can sell you a Fadal for several thousand less than a tormach that will blow that thing out of the water.

I have two customers that have Tormachs that they use for prototyping the parts that we make for them and I love it. We get drawings, models, and even sample parts that are proven and we don't have to do multiple prototype revisions and all of the mess that that entails. I know that these are not real production machines and they don't compete with what we do, just compliment it. Look at ordering it with a tool changer (a good friend of mine owns Zbot (zbotllc.com) who makes the tool changers and also sells the machines), and enjoy your new toy!

Yea maybe you are right. A new mini mill is not much more than he is asking and a full blown vf2ss is under 60k. So I think he is asking a bit much but that price is probably negotiable.

I was considering buying a Tormach, when a Atrump B3EC became available on the Practical Machinist forum. It was a 2008 model with very little use. I was able to buy it from the owner and had it shipped from State College, PA to my location in Western Wisconsin. It has a Centroid control, which works perfectly with my Mastercam software. It is a excellent industrial machine, which the Tormach is not. And when I am done using it, I will be able to sell it without losing any money.

I considered buying a tormach for some limited parts I do. Then determined they are VERY expensive for how flimsy they are. A Haas is almost the same price when you factor in the very expensive financing of a Tormaxh, and you get a real machine with real support and real toolholding and real motors.

Go check out even a Haas MiniMill or a Toolroom Mill and see how they are ‘real’ machines. If the current market carries you can sell a Haas for almost what you paid for it in 15 years. A Tormach drops $10k the moment you buy it.

don't "order" a Tormach, go see one and watch it run. ask em to push it a lil

go see a used haas or brother or whatever and watch it run. ask em to push it a lil.

Tormach maybe has a warranty? used other usually has a conditional warranty, soon as its on your truck its your problem.

most of the folk damning the Tormach have never seen one xcept on utube, nevermind actually seeing one run. me neither, id suspect they are better than the 1st cnc I ever saw, a stepper pc cassette tape load hurco knee mill, which at the time, was very cool.

that being said, if they think a used mini mill is better than a tormach, id guess they are likely right. but ive seen very used matsuura 500's that were bought for chump change that ran flawlessly for a long time, and others bought for more $$$ that ran for a week. something to be said for new, usually when shit fucks up it happens early.

go look. its a crap shoot. my dad bought a new 63 dodge coronet wagon, after that he said son, don't ever buy a dodge. when it was time for me to buy a truck, I chose a 98 dodge. after owning that I told my son in law, don't ever buy a dodge. anybody looking for a late model dodge journey? we've got a beauty for sale...

Hello,

Thanks!

The 1100M was my first 'machine'. It was also my first contact with CAM. Nothing wrong to get a bare bones machine to start. But, if you're thinking to get the drawbar, enclosure, ATC, etc... I would look better a used Haas MiniMill or Tool Room, if you need single phase. If not, there're a lot of Fadals out there also.

$25K for a Tormach is crazy. I don't know what type of user they're chasing with that.

There are a lot of folks who are scared off by a used "real" CNC machine. Unless you have a background in this stuff, it can be super daunting to be wondering what condition the thing is in, and have no idea how to repair it. You get no support, no training, no idea what is working and what isn't.

What you're buying with a Tormach is a kinda jank CNC machine, sure! But it comes with full support, about 300 YouTube videos that walk you through every maintenance procedure, a pretty nice control system anyone can figure out, and a warranty/total parts availability.

They just moved to servo motors, and if they would just put linear rails on the thing instead of shitty dovetail ways, it might grow itself into a halfway decent little machine for the intended hobby/education/fuckin-around markets.

$25k IS a little too much to invest in a Tormach.

If someone is willing to spend that kind of money, you're getting pretty darn close to a new low end Haas MiniMill. If anyone is buying a Tormach grade of machine, there isn't a ton of reason to buy EVERY available option right off the bat and push yourself into $20k territory. I bought a series 3 1100 Tormach about 18 months ago for just under $15k delivered (power drawbar, toolholders, haimer, and built my own enclosure).

It has been a good machine for me to learn on since I was completely new to CNC when I bought it and am limited by being in a residential garage. It has positives and negatives which I could list if the OP is interested.

Back