What's new
What's new

Absolutely Through with Haas

Motorsports-X

Hot Rolled
I have to rant.....If this is how "Made in a America" Is gonna treat their customers then Ill buy Japanese Or German. Haas is BEYOND ridiculous.

Number one, How much can a high pressure pump and fittings cost to give a machine thru spindle coolant? The machine is already TSC ready. Not a big deal, we should of bought that option up front, but oh well. But the price tag they put on it... you gotta be kidding.

Number 2. So the machine comes with a 200 hour HSM trial right? WRONG. it comes with a 1 time use trial that you CANT CUT OFF. So Last week, I talk to my guys about how to run these big expensive endmills...light cuts... high speeds, etc... of course, the perfectly capable but governed control wont read the code fast enough so we burn up a tool while its running 40ipm instead of 160. So I figure well I will go ahead and try the trial and see how it works. Punch in the code, and run it again.. PERFECT.

So we run that part, and a few more, adn I ask my guy if he cut the HSM off to save the trial.. This is about a week later. Now mind you, right now we are running 8 Hour shifts, and rougly on about 4 hours a day actual cut time on this machine. So I think, No big deal if we burned up 20 or 30 hours of the trial, just switch it off.

Fast forward a week.

:mad5: I need to use the HSM again. Guess what, it wont take that Trial code. Not only does the machine COUNT EVERY SINGLE HOUR OF EVERY SINGLE DAY NOT MATTER IF YOUR MACHINE IS RUNNING OR NOT, OR EVEN ON OR NOT but once you cut the trial off, you cant cut it back on anyways!!! This is straight from Haas. We bought a machine thinking we had 200 hours of trial HSM but we dont. We couldnt use all 200 hours even if we wanted to. Even if we had a shop that ran 24/7 in high product, you couldn't use all 200 hours, because the actual hours is what counts. not when the machine or spindle are moving. In my opinion, that is classic bait and switch. :mad5:

Well Haas.. here is my message to you.. I'm selling this POS vf4. I hate your machine, I hate your business model, and i work for a company that has been run right for a long time and has plenty of money to spend, but before I give you $2500 dollars for a feature the machine should come with anyway, I will give Makino 215k for a real cnc machine that doesnt have some stupid lock that serves no purpose but to aggravate your customers and pad your bottom line. Up until a week ago I had argued for people paying the money for the codes, but now I HOPE someone comes out with a Hack if for no other reason that to screw up your plans. $2500 dollars isnt a big deal, but its the principle of the matter.

I have to rant.....If this is how "Made in a America" Is gonna treat their customers then Ill buy Japanese Or German. Haas is BEYOND ridiculous.

Number one, How much can a high pressure pump and fittings cost to give a machine thru spindle coolant? The machine is already TSC ready. Not a big deal, we should of bought that option up front, but oh well. But the price tag they put on it... you gotta be kidding.

Number 2. So the machine comes with a 200 hour HSM trial right? WRONG. it comes with a 1 time use trial that you CANT CUT OFF. So Last week, I talk to my guys about how to run these big expensive endmills...light cuts... high speeds, etc... of course, the perfectly capable but governed control wont read the code fast enough so we burn up a tool while its running 40ipm instead of 160. So I figure well I will go ahead and try the trial and see how it works. Punch in the code, and run it again.. PERFECT.

So we run that part, and a few more, adn I ask my guy if he cut the HSM off to save the trial.. This is about a week later. Now mind you, right now we are running 8 Hour shifts, and rougly on about 4 hours a day actual cut time on this machine. So I think, No big deal if we burned up 20 or 30 hours of the trial, just switch it off.

Fast forward a week.

:mad5: I need to use the HSM again. Guess what, it wont take that Trial code. Not only does the machine COUNT EVERY SINGLE HOUR OF EVERY SINGLE DAY NOT MATTER IF YOUR MACHINE IS RUNNING OR NOT, but once you cut the trial off, you cant cut it back on anyways!!! This is straight from Haas. We bought a machine thinking we had 200 hours of trial HSM but we dont. We couldnt use all 200 hours even if we wanted to. Even if we had a shop that ran 24/7 in high product, you couldn't use all 200 hours, because the actual hours is what counts. not when the machine or spindle are moving. In my opinion, that is classic bait and switch. :mad5:

Well Haas.. here is my message to you.. I'm selling this POS vf4. I hate your machine, I hate your business model, and i work for a company that has been run right for a long time and has plenty of money to spend, but before I give you $2500 dollars for a feature the machine should come with anyway, I will give Makino 215k for a real cnc machine that doesnt have some stupid lock that serves no purpose but to aggravate your customers and pad your bottom line. Up until a week ago I had argued for people paying the money for the codes, but now I HOPE someone comes out with a Hack if for no other reason that to screw up your plans. $2500 dollars isnt a big deal, but its the principle of the matter.

Ohh boy. Here we go again

I am calling bullshit.

If $215k is no big deal, why doesn't your VF4, that you actually bought new, have the options installed?

Because you fucking cheaped out. That's why.

I am all about your opinion of HAAS's business model. I can't freaking stand HAAS anymore.
But, your situation, is not HAAS's fault. It is chicken-shit, and its your fault.

Unless you have it in writing that it came with a 200hr trial, you have no clue what it came with.
Don't blame HAAS. Maybe blame your salesman? But, not HAAS.

Ohh boy. Here we go again

I am calling bullshit.

If $215k is no big deal, why doesn't your VF4, that you actually bought new, have the options installed?

Because you fucking cheaped out. That's why.

I am all about your opinion of HAAS's business model. I can't freaking stand HAAS anymore.
But, your situation, is not HAAS's fault. It is chicken-shit, and its your fault.

Unless you have it in writing that it came with a 200hr trial, you have no clue what it came with.
Don't blame HAAS. Maybe blame your salesman? But, not HAAS.

Because they people that were here before me were ignorant and didn't know what the hell they were doing. THe owner of this company would of been glad to pay out an extra 10-15k if the engineer would of told him you need these features and why. and if you really want to go down that road, the people who sold the machine, should of said, hey you probably do alot of 3d surfacing in this industry, you need this upfront or it will cost more later. A good salesman would. So don't make a blanket statement because I'm not the one that bought the machine. We've made over a million in capital investments in the last 6 or 8 months, even with this economy. I assure you.. money is not the issue. This company has been here for 75 years and will be here for 75 more. if a machine has a 200 hour trial, it means you should be able to use THAT FEATURE for 200 hours. not, hey you can cut it on once and if you don't use it for all 200 hours consecutively, then tough luck.

and I do have it in writing, it is right on all the sales documents we have, the invoice, and they even give you a little tag on the machine that says "200 hour trial" but don't forget the asterisk. Its just the friggin principle of the matter. I have a makino rep coming thursday. I look forward to seeing what options they have for us.

Fast forward a week.

:mad5: I need to use the HSM again. Guess what, it wont take that Trial code. Not only does the machine COUNT EVERY SINGLE HOUR OF EVERY SINGLE DAY NOT MATTER IF YOUR MACHINE IS RUNNING OR NOT, OR EVEN ON OR NOT but once you cut the trial off, you cant cut it back on anyways!!! This is straight from Haas. We bought a machine thinking we had 200 hours of trial HSM but we dont. We couldnt use all 200 hours even if we wanted to. Even if we had a shop that ran 24/7 in high product, you couldn't use all 200 hours, because the actual hours is what counts. not when the machine or spindle are moving. In my opinion, that is classic bait and switch. :mad5:

Citizen_kane_clapping.gif

Because they people that were here before me were ignorant and didn't know what the hell they were doing. THe owner of this company would of been glad to pay out an extra 10-15k if the engineer would of told him you need these features and why. and if you really want to go down that road, the people who sold the machine, should of said, hey you probably do alot of 3d surfacing in this industry, you need this upfront or it will cost more later. A good salesman would. So don't make a blanket statement because I'm not the one that bought the machine. We've made over a million in capital investments in the last 6 or 8 months, even with this economy. I assure you.. money is not the issue. This company has been here for 75 years and will be here for 75 more. if a machine has a 200 hour trial, it means you should be able to use THAT FEATURE for 200 hours. not, hey you can cut it on once and if you don't use it for all 200 hours consecutively, then tough luck.

and I do have it in writing, it is right on all the sales documents we have, the invoice, and they even give you a little tag on the machine that says "200 hour trial" but don't forget the asterisk. Its just the friggin principle of the matter. I have a makino rep coming thursday. I look forward to seeing what options they have for us.

It sounds like you know that, you need, and want, the HSM feature. Haas puts these trials on there machines for customers to see if they need/like the feature, to try it. I would suggest you aim you anger toward the purchasing agent, not Haas. As far as TSC goes, Haas is very upfront with their costs of features. They are the only ones (that I know of) that publically post the cost of each feature. I don't know what you have to be upset with.

How can a simple look ahead on a 100k + machine be 2500? I have a small tool room of around 60k with a fagor control and enought look ahead to run hsm toolpath without any problem. No need to pay 2500 or what ever it is include it also come with usb port i cant understand how some big machine builder still have those has a option in 2015 . i would be piss off too to be honest.

Like I said, I am with ya. Had you posted all that in your original post, my post wouldn't exist.
Still, blame the salesman for not explaining the trial period. Is it fucked up? Yea, sure. Is it HAAS's fault your machine doesn't have the HSM option? NO.
Blame the guy that purchased the machine. Blame the guy that hired the guy that purchased the machine. But, it ain't HAAS's fault.

Good luck with Makino. Good choice!!!!!

I do need the feature. and i have no problem with a business charging for product. but I have a problem with the way this "trial" is done.

And as far as the cost of the TSC.. the machine is already TSC ready.. so what do you need to make it happen. a pump, a couple hoses... maybe a tank.. and an M code that makes it come on. the most expensive in the list has to be the pump since the machine already has auxilary m codes.. so i cant see where $6,000 plus install labor possibly come from. maybe there is much more to it, but I dont see it. Im not really that ill about that, because it should of been bought up front. but the HSM thing bugs the hell out of me.

How can a simple look ahead on a 100k + machine be 2500? I have a small tool room of around 60k with a fagor control and enought look ahead to run hsm toolpath without any problem. No need to pay 2500 or what ever it is include it also come with usb port i cant understand how some big machine builder still have those has a option in 2015 . i would be piss off too to be honest.

i heard there is some kind of device that can force the machine to take the code, for a couple hundred dollars no matter if the HSM is on or not. but yes, i agree. i dont see how in 2015, (machine is 2014 model) with the processing power we have avalible, it wouldnt just be included. You would think they would want to use all the hardware avalible to prove what they are really capable of.

$2500 is pennies, pay up or shut up. Don't complain about a freebie that you couldn't read the fine print on. You have nobody to blame but yourself and maybe an underling...to which the underling should be pooonished.

$2500 is pennies, pay up or shut up. Don't complain about a freebie that you couldn't read the fine print on. You have nobody to blame but yourself and maybe an underling...to which the underling should be pooonished.

Reminds me of a saying, "Never look a gifthorse in the mouth".

I was expecting:

"I hate Haas because:
-Not rigid
-Not accurate
-Low tool clamping force because no hydraulics to unclamp tool
-Tools bang out of spindle after long running because ^no hydraulic knockout
-No spindle chiller
-Tools bang out of spindle after long running because ^no spindle chiller
-ATC clunks along one position at a time to find the next tool
-Crappy chip management
-etc
-etc
-etc"

Instead, it's "I hate Haas because I didn't understand the terms of the function we didn't buy and they didn't let me use it for free long enough."

I was expecting:

"I hate Haas because:
-Not rigid
-Not accurate
-Low tool clamping force because no hydraulics to unclamp tool
-Tools bang out of spindle after long running because ^no hydraulic knockout
-No spindle chiller
-Tools bang out of spindle after long running because ^no spindle chiller
-ATC clunks along one position at a time to find the next tool
-Crappy chip management
-etc
-etc
-etc"

Instead, it's "I hate Haas because I didn't understand the terms of the function we didn't buy and they didn't let me use it for free long enough."

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

We've made over a million in capital investments in the last 6 or 8 months, even with this economy. I assure you.. money is not the issue.

If money is not an issue, then why is your company buying bottom of the barrel machines in the first place? HAAS machines are nowhere near the top-of-the-line machine tools. Your company should have bought the Makino in the first place.

i heard there is some kind of device that can force the machine to take the code, for a couple hundred dollars no matter if the HSM is on or not. but yes, i agree. i dont see how in 2015, (machine is 2014 model) with the processing power we have avalible, it wouldnt just be included. You would think they would want to use all the hardware avalible to prove what they are really capable of.

Yep, and I could not understand how the Fanuc Robodrill we (last job) bought did not have a "tool offset measure" button and "next tool" button, oh so easy, but I was told "It's all in the ladders, we can do that, oh ya Haas just has a macro running for that... oh well, it seems we can't do that, but our machine is better, just because it is"

Back