Accurate electric torque screw gun?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Accurate electric torque screw gun?

Just curious if anyone knows of a screw gun with an accurate torque setting 80-95 inch lbs? We torque with a torque wrench a lot of fixtures screws. So looking for something to make the employees life easier and faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A cordless drill will do the job but it's not fool proof. Clutches can get bumped and aren't that accurate to begin with. Torque also doesn't stay consistent as the battery drains.

It's a tradeoff in favor of ergonomics and operator efficiency over process reliability. You can split the difference by loosening and semi-tightening with a cordless drill, then torquing manually with a torque wrench.

Impact drivers are pretty consistent IME, but they'll apply too much torque for your application on the mid to high settings, and aren't as consistent on the low setting.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Atlas copco makes one but it is expensive
    Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D Nelson View Post
    Atlas copco makes one but it is expensive
    Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    check out festool, it's an electronic shutoff at the desired torque.. problem is I don't know what the range and increment is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Vise View Post
    A cordless drill will do the job but it's not fool proof. Clutches can get bumped and aren't that accurate to begin with. Torque also doesn't stay consistent as the battery drains.

It's a tradeoff in favor of ergonomics and operator efficiency over process reliability. You can split the difference by loosening and semi-tightening with a cordless drill, then torquing manually with a torque wrench.

Impact drivers are pretty consistent IME, but they'll apply too much torque for your application on the mid to high settings, and aren't as consistent on the low setting.
    We already do cordless drill and such. My point in the question was to eliminate steps. Making it faster can easier on the operator.

I did find torque limiting adapter.seems like it would work. Gonna try and use a dewalt screw gun with the adapter and not over torque in one faster step.

Post Thanks / Like

I have these and am very happy with them.

Tek Screwdrivers | FEIN Power Tools, Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The festool and fein options look good, but unless they have a direct reading torque load cell, they will probably not be nearly as accurate as your torque wrench. One other option to consider cleco pneumatic torque screwdrivers. They are designed for continuous assembly with a clean torque cutoff. I got a box of them from a tool supplier garage sale and they work great with thin polyurethane air line. I use them for small mitee bite toe clamps where the difference between under clamping and breaking the screw is small. They also have a reverse button. The motor shuts off instantly when the torque value is reached, and doesn't keep hammering the fastener.

This model would suit your torque requirement but somewhat expensive new. There are lots of these floating around used on ebay and elsewhere and probably other brands out there.
    CLECO Screwdriver, Air-Powered, 3.7 ft-lb to 10.8 ft-lb, 90 psi - 24D709'|'19TTA15Q - Grainger

Good luck,
    Mike

8. Likes Bluejeep liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use a milwaukee fuel 3/8 impact on some jobs. Probably not super accurate but gets the job done. Has three torque settings and the button is tucked out of the way so doesnt get changed by mistake.

Only complaint is the torque does drop with battery level. Kinda frustrating since these are brushless with sensor feedback to a fancy motor controller. It has all the hardware it needs to maintain a specific motor rpm regardless of battery level if only the engineers programmed it to work that way. Could be easily done at least for the lower 2 torque settings.

A pnemuatic impact should run consistent torque all day once you find a proper setting for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Google "Mountz" and give them a call. I used them for a special project and they were able to provide an off the shelf soution. They even sent their local rep to go over my options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Im very, very interested in any info or experiences, myself.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Atlas Copco DC driver tools would be the solution. I had purchased over 40 units for firearm assembly lines that need additional error-proofing to avoid safety issues. The unit cost around 15k each for the controller and driver but could drive to a torque value and even count the rotations after a set torque value. Worked really well to see if a Oring was installed into a gun frame. The unit does have a semi PLC programming ability to control Inputs and Outputs. I had units that torque from 5 in*lbs to 180 Ft*lbs.

Probably overkill for your application but it was easy to see if the torque value was correct. Large red or green screen when a screw was torqued.

Atlas Copco ST Series & Power Focus 4000 Controller - YouTube