What's new
What's new

Is Acetal Dangerous to Health

Kazam

Plastic
Hi just wondering during machining Acetal dry is dangerous to long term health... Ie it has certain ingredients that when exposed to heat becomes carcinogenic...
just heard a few things from people over the years about it

Acetal is polymerized formaldehyde, so yes, if it burns, it will release some nasty compounds. I mold it all the time, and it is stable up to at least 400F, so you'd have to get it mighty hot. When it does start out-gassing, the fumes are exceedingly irritating to nose and eyes, time to shut down and take a break outside while the shop airs out.

I don't know offhand what the ignition temperature is, but I've only seen it burn when we use a propane torch to clean nozzles, etc. Acetal has the strange property of burning with no visible flame, at lease in bright sunlight; it sits there and appears to be boiling, but will ignite other materials if held close.

I've occasionally machined acetal, and never gotten it hot enough to gas off, but that's not saying it can't happen.

Dennis

We machine a large quantity of various acetal resins where I work. It is not difficult to get it hot enough to off gas. Usually keeping a fan blowing toward your buddy is sufficient that I feel safe. I'm sure you would not want to intentionally breathe the stuff. Run a little more gently if you are worried.

We machine a large quantity of various acetal resins where I work. It is not difficult to get it hot enough to off gas. Usually keeping a fan blowing toward your buddy is sufficient that I feel safe. I'm sure you would not want to intentionally breathe the stuff. Run a little more gently if you are worried.

Blow any noxious fumes toward your buddy. I laughed so hard I almost spit out my coffee on that one!

The last piece I machined I had the surface speed too high and there was some decomposition. Not a lot, but I could smell it. There was dark staining/light corrosion of the lathe's spindle nose as a result. Formaldehyde is corosive to steel, so I guess it had been condensing on the spindle nose. A bit of metal polish cleaned it off.

I used to do a repeat job hogging acetal on a manual lathe. A few hundred cubic inches over hours. I would get a headache from the chip/string piles all over the lathe. I also learned not to let the pile sit overnight on the lathe/in the shop. Straight to the dumpster before I closed up for the night. The fan advice works very well.

Getting the part - chip hot enough to fully decompose is hard, but getting microscopic amounts of decomposition right on the part - tool interface is pretty likely, even if not decomposition your going to be making a percentage of air born dust, hence some ventilation IMHO is always a good idea, gotta remember like most animals on this planet we evolved around being outside in fresh air, not cramped badly ventilated confineds with hazardos substances in any form.

Most times im cutting plastic i can almost always nearly instantly notice a unique odour, weather it be nylon, acetal or acrylic, they each tend to have a smell when cut hence something is being released!

When in doubt don't eat it. Years ago men worked in this industry and focused on being a more skilled tradesman, not finding every little thing to whine and complain about. I'm sure McDonalds has a nice safe job :rolleyes5:

Maybe we should just outlaw all the bad shit so everyone can eat anything while riding around on their unicorn :nutter: I hear tide pods are tastey

I tack welded a chromoly sleeve with an acetal bushing in it and felt like I got punched in the face when the smoke hit me... Add it to the list of reasons why I won't be shocked when I get some terrible cancer.

Back