What's new
What's new

Acu-rite Millpwr

james siffel

Cast Iron
Hey, anyone using this on a mill? If so, are you using the advanced features in custom pockets?("pilot drill","bottom finish", "side finish".

Yep, I have one. 3 axis at home. The business has them on all the manual mills. We use all the features.

On the 3 axis you can run it on just two axis if you wish too.

I have an older one. It's a nice machine, but I wish it had a Z axis stepper motor. It would be cool if Heidenhiem or whatever there name is, would offer an affordable retrofit for older machines.

Hey!! There you guys are! Scadvice I was curious about the advanced features on custom pocket, but after reading the manual another 10x's it seems that my question is answered, if I read correctly, you HAVE to use bottom and side finish together. But if you do not desire to use one or the other you just enter zeros in the required fields. Am I warm? Second question is we seem to have a "glitch" where theres a danger area switching from imperial to metric(and back) where the tool length offset can be read as the opposite, giving it a HUGE "z" , thus crashing becomes a reality. Ever had this? Do you know how to fix it or avoid it? It happened today, lost a part.

Hey!! There you guys are! Scadvice I was curious about the advanced features on custom pocket, but after reading the manual another 10x's it seems that my question is answered, if I read correctly, you HAVE to use bottom and side finish together. But if you do not desire to use one or the other you just enter zeros in the required fields. Am I warm? Second question is we seem to have a "glitch" where theres a danger area switching from imperial to metric(and back) where the tool length offset can be read as the opposite, giving it a HUGE "z" , thus crashing becomes a reality. Ever had this? Do you know how to fix it or avoid it? It happened today, lost a part.

What model Acurite control do you have? It may make a difference and I would have to look in the manual on the web. However, we have found that when doing pocketing with or without islands it was best to just recopy the pocket (and islands) then redefine the tool diameter and z depth for cleanup as our control "cleans up" the finish each past. Not a good parameter IMO as it can leave spring marks on finish and a waste of cut time. Zero's or no values entered should work on the asked for 'finish'.

On my control I never would move back and forth between imperial and metric as the control is not smart enough (I believe) to know you changed it. You should always (if I'm understanding the question) retouch off and re-define the tools.

Also check that your datum values are correct if your going back and forth on imperial and metric. Don't forget to check the 'retract'.

Back