What's new
What's new

Adapting Erickson NMTB30 to More Common Holders

UtahSmitty

Plastic
I bought a Tree Journeyman 310 3 axis mill a few months ago. I'm just finishing the wiring and electrical install inside my shop, and then I will be placing my machines.

My mill has an Erickson 30 QC spindle. I didn't realize what it was when I bought it, but have found that available toolholders are not very common and expensive--

I've been trying to figure some way to use a different tool holder that is more common and will allow more flexibility when changing out tools, etc.

One thing I've thought of is to get a 1" Erickson collet tool holder, then buy some straight shank tool holders to use in it. My thought is that I can set up the tools in the straight shank holder, then just place them in the Erickson collet and swap out as needed. I saw a similar set up on a 3 axis mill using Tormach tool holders that all had the same shank diameter.

Any thoughts as to how well this would work,etc?

Thanks,

Smitty

One thing I've thought of is to get a 1" Erickson collet tool holder, then buy some straight shank tool holders to use in it. My thought is that I can set up the tools in the straight shank holder, then just place them in the Erickson collet and swap out as needed...

Any thoughts as to how well this would work,etc?

Thanks, Smitty

It would work, but what a pain. Tool length from tool change to tool change wouldn't be as consistent as changing dedicated toolholders and overhung tool/toolholder length will increase, with resulting loss of tool stiffness. It's always a problem in 30 taper machines, but will be a bigger problem than usual for you.

The Erickson holder's flange diameter and thickness tolerances are tighter than other nmtb30s so as to work with the Erickson closer nut. Generics may or may not work and may or may not have enough meat on them to modify them to work.

But it's a CNC. Faster tool changes can be had with an air powered drawbar. Mount one to the top of the spindle, take off the Erickson closer nut and any nmtb holder will then fit. It was a common change on early Bridgeport Interacts. Somewhere I have instructions....

And there's a bunch of Erickson toolholders on ebay right now at about $40 a whack, which really ain't that bad...

Thanks--

I had read this earlier--my concern is I don't have access to a grinder to thin the flange to Ericson specs... I suppose I could turn it on a lathe, but would that give me reasonable accuracy??

Smitty

"But it's a CNC. Faster tool changes can be had with an air powered drawbar. Mount one to the top of the spindle, take off the Erickson closer nut and any nmtb holder will then fit. It was a common change on early Bridgeport Interacts. Somewhere I have instructions...."

I'm not sure the spindle is open at the top to permit use of a drawbar... I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for your information.

Smitty

I gave some away to my neighbor. I might still have some of the holders for the Erickson.
Yes, a careful job on the lathe will do it.
You might have to make a drawbar, and a mount, if you want to convert. Kurt might have a kit already for your mill.

Thanks Mike!

Let me know what you have and what you want for the tool holders. Obviously I'll pay any freight. I'm in Northern Utah. Send me a PM on what you have and what you want.

I just checked the spindle... it doesn't have a through hole, so I'll need to either buy Erickson QC, or use NMTB-30 and machine when needed.

Smitty

I have two QC 30 Mills. I have made some holders from scratch, modified others with a bit of weld on the flange, and bought some from eBay. I have modified holder flanges on my lathe successfully.

Once you get used to it, IMO, the QC is faster than a power drawbar, and you don't have to be home in Z to change a tool.

Back