What's new
What's new

add memory to fanuc control

Joaquin Osses

Plastic
I'm using a FANUC Oi-MD CNC control in my company, but we have a lot of problems with CF cards (we tried with a lot of brands an capacity) but the control can't recognize them, it shows me a message that said "TARJ MEMO NO FORMATTED" So I need to know if it possible to add memory to the control by adding some code or something like that.

I'm using a FANUC Oi-MD CNC control in my company, but we have a lot of problems with CF cards (we tried with a lot of brands an capacity) but the control can't recognize them, it shows me a message that said "TARJ MEMO NO FORMATTED" So I need to know if it possible to add memory to the control by adding some code or something like that.

It's an option you have to buy. And it's not cheap. For some reason Fanuc thinks memory should cost your 1st born.
There used to be a way to free up some space, like another 32k but if you need space, you're gonna want them to do it.

To add to what Mtndew said above, it is possible to do yourself, but I wouldn't unless you're real confident in your abilities around backing up and re-loading parameters.

Memex has good instructions on how to add memory to various controls, but their memory is also not cheap. You can usually find fanuc memory boards/chips on ebay, but you better know what part number you need.

So you will probably want someone else to do it. Just throwing out there the possibility of doing it yourself.

On the topic of your memory card, what version of 0i control do you have? Earlier I series controls (a) usually need an "SRAM" PCMCIA card, and not the compact flash cards. They are virtually identical in appearance but not interchangeable.

SRAM cards are a lot more expensive than their flash counterparts.

We added Memex memory to an old 6MB. It has worked faultlessly for nearly 20 years. Should you go this way, be sure to copy down ALL parameters. For some reason, when piggybacking your old memory board onto the new Memex board, certain paramters weren't automatically loaded, things like tool changer memory assignment and pitch error compensation.
Once loaded (manually) they stay put however.

Oi-MD is circa 2008. CF should work fine.

Max partition size s/b 2GB. Card must be formatted FAT16 and partition needs to be active.

Card can be formatted on the control, hold the 2 right softkeys while booting, should bring up a boot menu. #7 should be format memory card option.

YMMV.

Oi-MD is circa 2008. CF should work fine.

Max partition size s/b 2GB. Card must be formatted FAT16 and partition needs to be active.

Card can be formatted on the control, hold the 2 right softkeys while booting, should bring up a boot menu. #7 should be format memory card option.

YMMV.

lol, I totally missed that he wrote it was a D, my bad.

I'm still salty that our 16ia needs an SRAM card that only our OLD (2000ish) IBM Thinkpad will read.

It's an option you have to buy. And it's not cheap. For some reason Fanuc thinks memory should cost your 1st born.

How much does it cost? I keep hearing that it's not cheap, but nobody ever mentions prices. How much does Fanuc *actually* charge for memory upgrades (cost and how much memory you get for that price)?

How much does it cost? I keep hearing that it's not cheap, but nobody ever mentions prices. How much does Fanuc *actually* charge for memory upgrades (cost and how much memory you get for that price)?

IIRC, on the last machine I helped purchase, the upgrade from 4Mb to 8Mb was $3600.

No amount of memory upgrade will make up for the ability to run large programs from a card. No sense bitching about Fanuc and the cost of their memory upgrades either, they are not changing anytime soon. The max memory on an OiM-D is 4 megabytes. Woohoo, a whole 4 meg. The issue with your cards is a partitioning issue, as stated above. Some cards, no matter how you format them, will not be recognized by the controls unless they are re-partitioned.

There is a Fanuc option for that control that will allow you to use a memory card just like internal memory, with searching and editing and sub-calls and other features. Pretty cool. I was leery about trying it at first but once you get it going, you will come to rely on it more.

Paul

I bought compatible memory chips from Mouser.com for $3/ea, and pressed them into the existing sockets (0-MC). Cost more for shipping than for the chips. 30 minutes to install because I was going slow to avoid errors. I did test parameter backup and recovery procedures BEFORE adding the memory, to ensure it worked as expected. Not sure if the 0i-MD uses the same memory chips...

Now maxed out on mem, but still use DNC for all part programs. I only use machine memory for macros.

Might want to see if you can lookup the chip specs and locate a matching piece from the local electronics supply shop (or mouser, frye, etc).

--Bryan

A long time ago we were looking at 3rd party memory upgrades because the Fanuc bubbles were sooooo out of this world expensive. Ultimately we bailed on memory expansion and opted for a turn-key networked dnc system. Those dnc systems we had all eventually went the way of the Do-Do bird.

Have you considered using a Lancnc device? We have 3 or 4 of them in use for our older controls which do not have an ethernet port. Ours came with 4GB SD cards and they can transfer programs, drip feed and store. Try it; you might like NOT using sneaker-net.

You won't be able to search/edit files on the device card but anything significant probably should be done offline anyway. A networked machine is a liberating machine.
;)

No amount of memory upgrade will make up for the ability to run large programs from a card. No sense bitching about Fanuc and the cost of their memory upgrades either, they are not changing anytime soon. The max memory on an OiM-D is 4 megabytes. Woohoo, a whole 4 meg. The issue with your cards is a partitioning issue, as stated above. Some cards, no matter how you format them, will not be recognized by the controls unless they are re-partitioned.

There is a Fanuc option for that control that will allow you to use a memory card just like internal memory, with searching and editing and sub-calls and other features. Pretty cool. I was leery about trying it at first but once you get it going, you will come to rely on it more.

Paul

That's exactly my problem, because there's nothing useful in upgrade the memory of my fanuc Oi-MD if I cannot traspass the data from the PC to the internal memory control. The Fanuc control cannot read the memory card and I tried with a lot of cards (different in capacity and brands). So, what do you mean by partitioning? how can I do that?.

Already tried with no luck...I think that my only hope is to find the way to connect my PC to the fanuc control system via ethernet or something like that.
CNC data:
FANUC Series 0i-MD
Type: A02B-0319-B502
No. T12800936
MANUAL: B-64303

Any help is welcome!

Paul

Paul, how can I know the internal storage capacity of my FANUC control 0i-MD??

Back