What's new
What's new

Adding description to a program on fanuc oi-tc

cuttergrinder

Hot Rolled
I made a program on the lathe to cut a thread today and it worked fine, job is done but I wanted to add a description to the program but I couldn't seem to get the machine to allow me to add one. Is there a way to do it after the program is already written?

(Put a comment in parentheses right after the program number on the same line, right before the end of block. It should show up in the directory with whatever you type in the parentheses.);

I don't believe there is a EOB after the program number or after comments. As far as the program 1111-1.txt file on the computer any notes or important special information I write at the top of the program before the percent sign like this. Send the program as normal and only what is between the % signs is sent to the control. This could be communication program dependent?

%
:1111(THIS IS IN THE DIRECTORY)
(ANYTHING ELSE)
(YOU WANT TO SAY)
(AS FAR AS IDENTIFICATION)
(OR INSTRUCTIONS FOR)
(THE OPERATION COULD BE)
(AS SUCH)

N10;(FIRST TOOL)
G0G99G40G80X10.Z14.T0;
T0101;
M41;
G97S600M4;

YADDA;
YADDA;

M0;(PROGRAM STOP)

YADDA;
YADDA;

GOG40G80X10.Z14.T0;
M30;
%

This is how I've been doing it.

Brent

I don't believe there is a EOB after the program number or after comments. As far as the program 1111-1.txt file on the computer any notes or important special information I write at the top of the program before the percent sign like this. Send the program as normal and only what is between the % signs is sent to the control. This could be communication program dependent?

%
:1111(THIS IS IN THE DIRECTORY)
(ANYTHING ELSE)
(YOU WANT TO SAY)
(AS FAR AS IDENTIFICATION)
(OR INSTRUCTIONS FOR)
(THE OPERATION COULD BE)
(AS SUCH)

N10;(FIRST TOOL)
G0G99G40G80X10.Z14.T0;
T0101;
M41;
G97S600M4;

YADDA;
YADDA;

M0;(PROGRAM STOP)

YADDA;
YADDA;

GOG40G80X10.Z14.T0;
M30;
%

This is how I've been doing it.

Brent

Did you just yadda yadda machining? lol

Hi All:
So far as I know (and certainly on my Oi TC lathe), the keyboard has no way to put in parentheses, and it treats all characters within parentheses as a single block, so if you try to edit a single character you wipe out the whole comment including the parentheses.

This is one of the more stupid features of the basic Fanuc control.
Now I don't know if this applies to all Fanuc controls but it is a right royal pain in the ass on mine.(Oi Mate TC vintage 2007 on a Prodigy lathe)

So if I want to comment a program I have to copy it out of the control and then delete the version in the control.
I have to take the program to a computer, edit it there and then copy it back into the control.
I've asked here on the forum (years ago) if there is a workaround but I do not recall getting a solution.

I think this may be one of those situations where you just have to curse, bite the bitter pill and accept it as a limitation of the control.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Hi All:
So far as I know (and certainly on my Oi TC lathe), the keyboard has no way to put in parentheses, .......

This is one of the more stupid features of the basic Fanuc control............

I think this may be one of those situations where you just have to curse, bite the bitter pill and accept it as a limitation of the control..........

You need to blame your cheapo machine builder for that, not Fanuc. Fanuc offered 4 different keyboard options on the 0iC series. Your builder chose the lowest end one to save a few bucks knowing that few users would think to look at that when making the purchase decision.

All my Oi series controls have the parenthesis symbols available as a softkey, via the ext-edit/c-ext buttons.

It takes a little hunting to find it the first time.

Hi Vancbiker:
You wrote "You need to blame your cheapo machine builder for that, not Fanuc."

Consider it done...blame has been apportioned, a satisfying rant has been ranted and a load is off my chest.
Much appreciated advice...I feel immensely better! :D.....

Glad to have helped!!!! ;)

Related to this..... A few years ago another user here found a deal on the "proper" keyboard and retrofitted it. Took some fabrication IIRC. Plug in and possibly one parameter change to make it work.

Displays are another area where a builder can spec the low end knowing that few buyers will look beyond whether or not a machine has a display. The 0iC series could have anything from a Monochrome 7" display to a 10.5" color and a few choices between.

Some would question why the low end, limited capability options exist. The intended use is on machines in serial high production where user interaction with the control is limited and infrequent. No need for full capability and color graphics in that usage.

Hi again Vancbiker:
Yep you're right on; my machine is a 5C gang chucker that you cannot even turn the coolant pump on or off without a command, and yes it has a 7" monochrome display.
It's clearly a production machine that was not ever intended to be a versatile prototyping tool, so it has a bare bones control.

All this time I was doing Fanuc an injustice; I assumed they were ALL like that so I've been Fanuc bashing for years, and refused to own another machine with THAT GODDAMNED CONTROL on it.
Of all the machines I own, that one took the longest to learn (even the little bit I know), and had by far, the crappiest manual I have ever seen for trying to find anything specific and understanding what it means once I found it.

You've opened my eyes to the possibilities...I feel like a new man! :D

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

cuttergrinder try this.

To add notations at the control press these keys in this order

EDIT
PROG------ toggle to program page
(OPRT)----- soft key under display
► ----- soft key
► ----- soft key
( C-EXT )----- soft key---- move highlight to where you want to insert text in program
[ ( ] ----- soft key---- add text
[ ) ]----- soft key
INSERT

This works on KIA SKT 21 with oi-TC and LEADWELL V-30 with 21 M

Hope this helps.

Dave

The manual data input (MDI) panel usually has just one key for
the left bracket and another one for the right bracket. While typing,
whether the bracket will appear as a square bracket or a parenthesis,
depends on your parameter setting. If the machine has Fanuc 0i or a similar
control, set the first bit (from right), which is conventionally
referred to as bit #0 (the eight bits are designated as #0 through #7,
starting from the right), of parameter number 3204 to 0 for a square
bracket, and 1 for a parenthesis.

Obviously, it would not be possible to use square brackets and insert
comments at the same time with this parameter setting. If some comments
are desired to be inserted in a macro program, first type/edit
the program using square brackets, wherever required. Then change
the parameter setting to get parentheses, for the purpose of inserting
comments. After inserting comments, if again some corrections in the
program involving square brackets are needed, another change in
parameter 3204 would be required.

There is, however, a way to use both types of brackets, with the same
parameter setting. For this, set parameter 3204#2 to 1 (3204#0 should
remain 0; status of the other six bits does not affect this feature.
Such a parameter setting displays an extended character set, as
soft keys, in the EDIT mode, displaying “(“, “)” and “@”. With this
setting, if square brackets are needed, use the bracket keys on the
MDI panel, and if parentheses are needed, do the following (in EDIT
mode):
• Press PROG on MDI panel (press PROG again if the current
program is not displayed).
• Press the OPRT soft key.
• Press the right extension key (>) twice.
• Press the C-EXT soft key.
After this, soft keys for left parenthesis, right parenthesis, and @
(which can be used in the comments inserted in a program) will
appear which can be used as and when required for editing in EDIT
mode. However, a change in display screen will make these soft keys
disappear. If they are needed again, the process to display them will
have to be repeated.

Note that the MDI panel and the LCD screen (color or monochrome)
come as an integral unit as well as separate units. The standalone
type MDI panel is larger and has more keys. So, there is a lesser
need to use the SHIFT key for typing alphanumeric characters/arithmetic
operators, which makes typing faster. The keypad also has
separate keys for both types of brackets, obviating the need for displaying
soft keys for them.

This is copied from my macro book pp. 14-15
If you have not read this book, there might be many things you may not be aware of.

For me it's easier to send the program back to the PC.
Add comments especially date run and updated revision #
It's ready to use next time with all the reminders

I did get the machine to accept a comment. The parenthisis were already there and i was trying to just add text. I just had to type the parenthesis and the text.the machine does have a way to type the parenthesis.

So if I want to comment a program I have to copy it out of the control and then delete the version in the control.

There is a parameter on most Fanucs that allows you to either get an alarm when loading in a program with a number that already exists on the control, or with parameter change, it will overwrite it without an alarm. And mind you , without the ever annoying "are you sure" question first.

You need to blame your cheapo machine builder for that, not Fanuc. Fanuc offered 4 different keyboard options on the 0iC series. ...

Yabut....
It still doesn't help out Marcus that much, because ( AFAIK ) the OiC cannot distinguish the comment block.
IOW you must still re-type the whole f"n thing as you cannot edit individual characters between the parentheses.

Back