What's new
What's new

Adding Renishaw OMM and MI-12 to VMC

Das_Wookie

Aluminum
I'm adding a Renishaw OMM and MI-12 to my machine to be used with an MP-10 probe. Being the cheap bastard I am, I opted to find used units to install. I've got a possible issue tho. I didn't notice that when they had removed the OMM and MI-12 from the machine, that they just cut the wires and cable running to the units... like ******* animals! {sigh}

MI12-Animals.jpg

So do I have to hunt down the official OMM to MI-12 cable, or can I use some CAT5 / twisted pair wiring I have on hand now? I know I'd have to put whatever cable I use in some form of conduit to protect the cable as well as seal the OMM from coolant and chips. From what I can see in photos of the cable, it's just 6 wires, with no obvious sign of any shielding being used, so I would THINK that I can use just about anything, but figured I'd check in with y'all before I start wiring everything up in case I need to track down the Renishaw Cable.

Last edited:
Just use anything.

OK will do. :) I figured I could after seeing photos of the real cable on various eBay listings, but figured it would be silly to assume something that potentially important without asking first if there would be some stupid potential by not using heavily shielded cables. Just never know when EMI might rear it's ugly head when things like this are being used!

Also, I'm looking forward to giving your SNR-Basic a spin. Not sure if you ever updated it, as looks like you published it in 2013. Also wasn't sure if your SNR-Pro was something particular to that job and/or generating reports once machining was complete only, or if you had made additional changes to the SNR-Basic sections unrelated to that big job you mentioned here: Work Coordinate Setting and Part Measuring Program

OK will do. :) I figured I could after seeing photos of the real cable on various eBay listings, but figured it would be silly to assume something that potentially important without asking first if there would be some stupid potential by not using heavily shielded cables. Just never know when EMI might rear it's ugly head when things like this are being used!

Also, I'm looking forward to giving your SNR-Basic a spin. Not sure if you ever updated it, as looks like you published it in 2013. Also wasn't sure if your SNR-Pro was something particular to that job and/or generating reports once machining was complete only, or if you had made additional changes to the SNR-Basic sections unrelated to that big job you mentioned here: Work Coordinate Setting and Part Measuring Program

Contact me on PM.

You are already in process, but I will add that Probe's routines have been fantastic for us. As well, any time we have come up with a question, are unsure of some detail, or even want to do something slightly different, Probe is responsive and very helpful. He's been a pleasure to work with!

You are already in process, but I will add that Probe's routines have been fantastic for us. As well, any time we have come up with a question, are unsure of some detail, or even want to do something slightly different, Probe is responsive and very helpful. He's been a pleasure to work with!

From all accounts it's easy to see that probe is one of the good ones to be sure! I release near everything I do as Open Source, and have managed to get some of my employers to also release lots of what we did under GPL and various other Open Source initiatives as well. I get why Probe does it. Those who have donated their time to projects and things which I use on a daily basis which are also Open Source (like my primary OS of Linux) as well as various embedded systems I use, I think most people don't even realize JUST how much the Open Source communities have donated to the better of everyone. Giving back is important to me, so I volunteer my time and knowledge wherever and however I can, and love working with those who do as well. "The Rising Tide Raises All Boats" sorta thing. :)

Back