What's new
What's new

adding a solenoid valve to a i/o board what voltage

toolfood

Plastic
I have a Haas VF-2 VOPD and want to run a air solenoid off the m code part of the board I have 3 voltages I can use 24vdc 120vac 12vdc when I looked up the electrical manual for another machine the board is separate but it is 12vdc is that what I should run. which draws the most amperage I don't know how much amperage I can get away with air solenoid for 120 psi air. the board does not have volts or amps for this area.

I have a Haas VF-2 VOPD and want to run a air solenoid off the m code part of the board I have 3 voltages I can use 24vdc 120vac 12vdc when I looked up the electrical manual for another machine the board is separate but it is 12vdc is that what I should run. which draws the most amperage I don't know how much amperage I can get away with air solenoid for 120 psi air. the board does not have volts or amps for this area.
Just a "quick one" / busy day.

Pneumatic Safety Door Interlocks Troubleshooting Guide

If you poke around on the HAAS service section of their website you should be able to find what you are looking for (perhaps).

So for example on the pneumatic door interlocks they use 120 V for those solenoid valves …

"Measure the voltage at the I/O PCB. The correct voltage is 120 VAC. Verify that voltage is present (connectors P29 [1] on a Classic Haas Control (CHC), P40 and P41 [2] on a Next Generation Control (NGC)) when the door is closed and locked. If no voltage is present, go to I/O PCB - Troubleshooting Guide (Classic Haas Control) to troubleshoot the I/O PCB. If voltage is present, test the solenoid. Refer to Solenoid - Troubleshooting Guide to troubleshoot the solenoid."

original[5].jpg

original[6].jpg

^^^^ For illustrative* purposes ONLY (the gist) ---> For what you need / approach Higher res versions on the link posted above for "Classic" versus NGC.

Blah blah blah dum de dum de dum…

Not sure more specifically what you are trying to do. There are a few HAAS free-lance service techs / repair "Peeps" that have posted on PM forum in the past.

Generally/ electrically / theoretically the 120Vac will draw the least current, followed by 24 V (DC) followed by 12 V (DC), for the same wattage of device. BUT depends on what part of a board you are drawing from and it's design intent and cross sectional area / rating for set of copper tracks in that part of a board /circuitry.

^^^^ DISCLAIMER don't act on what I have written here until you have verified what you want to do for yourself... I don't want to "Jack" your machine up with incomplete information provided + incomplete "Advice". + Your safety/ competency / experience with electrical power systems.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

* Copyright HAAS Automation.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

@toolfood not sure what you want to do with your M code and what size / type of solenoid you want to use for what specific purpose ? I'm sure there are a lot of folks on PM forum here that can help you / advise you on good combinations of what you are trying to do.

You do need to be careful with the 24VDC coming straight from an output port in that most modern day 24v ports will only drive .5A. If you run more through them than that, you may or will damage the port driver permanently.

Before you get to far with this, you need a good schematic and know the specifics of the output you are using. Then you can either get the appropriate solenoid for the output or else use an interposing relay to give you what you need. It is also very good methodology to insert a fuse in the line coming from an output to the coil as coils do short sometimes and will pull the output voltage to zero volts on all of the outputs being sourced from the common power supply. Makes troubleshooting rather difficult and time consuming without the fuse(s).

I did just this on a VF5 using one of the m20-25 relays (Haas usually has 5 to 8 extra relays) and then calling it up with an m50-55 with m65 shutting it off. You need to pick one that isn't used for probes and such. I got a 120v air solenoid then a relay that has dc for switching and ac for the load. I hooked the hot terminal on the m25 to the switching relay and then back to the other terminal on the m relay, 120v sourced from the outlet on the side of the cabinet to run the air solenoid. Been a few years so can't remember the exact relay and in/out terminals.

Doing it this way you don't have to worry about voltages or drawing too many amps for the board, I'm 95% sure the m relays had 24vdc though.

your going to power a relay off the haas board. do not try and run the solenoid (load) from the board. the 24v is just to pull coil on the relay. find a power source to feed through the relay to the solenoid.

Back