What's new
What's new

Adventures of an Amateur Machinist – November

SwarfySteve

Plastic
Background

November operations included: rewriting the g-code to leave more material and manually parting off (in attempt to reduce chatter/marring).

Tool

The Pocket NC is a 5-axis CNC mill. The control is a BeagleBone Black single board computer running Machinekit. The only tool used is a 0.125 inch, single flute, flat end mill. It is optimized for cutting wax and plastic, and is made of uncoated carbide. When installed in the tool holder, the tool reaches roughly 1.125 inches.

Workpiece Material, Fixturing, and Machining Strategy

Stock used is a 2” x 2” x 2” (really 2.05 ± 0.05 inches per axis) block of Delrin plastic. The stock would only be fixtured once, however parting off would be executed manually.

The part would then be fixtured a second time to apply a fine surface finish to each broad side of the block.

Speeds and Feeds

The program was written with a max spindle speed of 9,000 rpm and max feedrate of 40 inches per minute. However, it was programed with wax in mind and not Delrin. To compensate for the difference in material, the feedrate override was supposed to be set to 80%.

Spindle speed and feedrate for the “manual” finishing operations would have been 10,000 rpm and 30 inches per minute respectively.

Conclusions

Much went wrong this November. For one, an 80% feedrate override was forgotten causing quite the office annoyance. Second was a crash halting all operations. The parting off was to be exectuted manually after the g-code file completed. Before proceeding manually, some chips needed to be cleared as they were a visual obstruction. A MDI command (G00 X0 Y0 Z0 A0 B0) was entered to move the table and spindle/tool to a maintenance friendly position. This caused the tool to collide with the stock resulting with an end mill broken into 3 pieces. A crash report was created. November’s operations will be executed again more carefully for this month upon reception of a new tool. The stock and broken tool are pictured below.

IMG_20171201_085122.jpg

i hope this is not a real job,or at least something someone is paying for.
you have dicked with this for way too long.kind of like doing cad with an etch-a sketch

Please take your postings over to the Homeshop machinist forum.

That and the "zone"....

Stop making fun of the guy, I am pretty sure none of you could figure out how to get burrs like that on Delrin.

Some one should club this seal. (Whille) ?

canada-seal-hunt_51061-310x303.jpg

When the fuck did we become a "BLOG'?

Novembers Issue. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...mateur-machinist-november-343200/#post3082130

Octobers Issue. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...amateur-machinist-october-342016/#post3066445

September Issue. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ist-september-340777-post3049979/#post3049979

It goes on & on, back to JUNE. Month after month. Pocket N.C, Stepper motors. 1/8" max tools, wax & plastic, single flute. Delrin, Major burrs. It has no place here.

He'd be lucky to slip into Home Shop Machinist. The Zone is bound to have a stepper wax machining forum, starting at about F 1605

This bloke has no issue here. Can any one point out, this isn't the forum for him? And black ban him?

Phil.

This bloke has no issue here. Can any one point out, this isn't the forum for him? And black ban him?

Phil.

Why should he be banned? I find this entertaining, to me the original post and comments are pure comedy.

He should be puting this all in his own personal shop thread in the "Member and Shop Photo's" board down below.
I believe that is what that board is specifically for.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back