Likes (Received)

$2000 is way more than it's worth.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    $3-$5k for an genuine manual Bridgeport in good condition, maybe. For a Taiwan/Chinese clone no way IME. I've seen places give those away.
    I wouldn't buy this either, you can get a real cnc machine for that much, but Sharps were better built than real Bridgeports.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All:
    I'm going to be the contrarian voice here and recommend to buy if the OP thinks it is a good fit for his needs.
    I say so because it's plain, from his history on this thread, that he knows what he is about when it comes to evaluating the suitability of his choices and has factored in all of everyone's objections already.

If he's taking a chance on a dead machine in the hopes that it will be a simple fix, that's his risk to take and in the worst possible case he's out a few grand for a machine he can scrap or flip or make a conversion on...there does not appear to be a pressing commercial case to buy something better, and it's not like he's a newbie or an idiot with no idea what he's getting into.

The emerging consensus appears to be that there's a good chance it's a simple fix, and if it is he will have a winner from his perspective, even if it regularly soaks him and slings shit all over the shop, and needs to be babysat and isn't accurate and has no balls and etc etc.

You and I might not be inclined to make the same choice...but I have a (manual) Bridgeport clone in the corner too, and my machine shop buddies regularly give me grief over it.
    I run it when I feel like it and it does what I need to do on it better than setting up my Haas or Defiance.
    They get to do it their way but I get to do it my way!

So, Grenade, if you haven't already committed to it, I'd go for it if it looks like what you want.
    As for what it's worth...if you're is smiling at the end of it all, then you didn't overpay!
    If you're bitter and twisted, then you did.

Cheers

Marcus
    Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
    Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

4. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unless Iím looking/ thinking about a different machine , This is not a BP clone.
    Yup itís a knee mill, but it has a beefy column and ram, weights 1000# more than a BP, has box ways on the Y and is a 5hp 40 taper machine with a big table

Itís worth $2000 , if itís as stated, even if you spend some money converting it to manual.
    All the bs $3000-5000 vmc stories piss me off. Sure , once in a while one pops up, but most vmc in that range are 80s and 90s anchors, even old Fadals are starting to creep back up there in price because you can still get parts, unlike most other stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    Unless Iím looking/ thinking about a different machine , This is not a BP clone.
    Yup itís a knee mill, but it has a beefy column and ram, weights 1000# more than a BP, has box ways on the Y and is a 5hp 40 taper machine with a big table

Itís worth $2000 , if itís as stated, even if you spend some money converting it to manual.
    All the bs $3000-5000 vmc stories piss me off. Sure , once in a while one pops up, but most vmc in that range are 80s and 90s anchors, even old Fadals are starting to creep back up there in price because you can still get parts, unlike most other stuff

Edit- not too mention this: OP said garage machine. This means a universal machine that does everything, but nothing perfectly. Flexibility is the key(I mean setups not rigidity!)

Who the frick wants to crawl in a vmc to align a vice or pick up the edge for the next operation, to make a one-off??

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unless I’m looking/ thinking about a different machine , This is not a BP clone.
    Yup it’s a knee mill, but it has a beefy column and ram, weights 1000# more than a BP, has box ways on the Y and is a 5hp 40 taper machine with a big table

It’s worth $2000 , if it’s as stated, even if you spend some money converting it to manual.

I would bet you that more than 30% of all the job shop and private product parts made in this country are made on 80's and 90's CNC's.

That and it's pretty easy to find stuff in the 2010's range for that kind of money nowadays. If you don't see it just keep on bitching while the rest of us buy it up.

8. Likes Vancbiker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is correct. Maybe using "Bridgeport" in the title was misleading. At 3500#s it's a beefy knee mill. The 40 taper is a huge plus. it doesn't have an ATC but can hold 20+ tool offsets and has a power drawbar, so no messing with R8 collets, touching off tools at every tool change, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    I would bet you that more than 30% of all the job shop and private product parts made in this country are made on 80's and 90's CNC's.

That and it's pretty easy to find stuff in the 2010's range for that kind of money nowadays. If you don't see it just keep on bitching while the rest of us buy it up.
    I'm definitely not seeing any VMCs in the 5k price range, but maybe I just don't know where to look. Where do you find such deals?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post

Where? Serious question, where in the US can one find a 2010 or newer functional VMC for $3-5k?? That is what you are saying right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where? Serious question, where in the US can one find a 2010 or newer functional VMC for $3-5k?? That is what you are saying right?

I don't know what to tell you. I don't think there is a "How to find deals for dummies" book, but you keep your eyes open and your wallet ready and things turn up.

How do you think dealers stay in business?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bought a pristine BP Interact TNC2500 1995 vintage, (fixed head CNC, quickswitch 200, no tool changer), about 6 years ago, for $5k. Use visualcam to feed it programs. It has been extremely handy and reliable for prototyping, building some automation equipment, and lots of oddball jobs done with bolton accessories. Often for protos, low volume, the open table is a convenience, like being able to jockey around clamps in the middle of making something, that would otherwise require a complicated fixture, and/or crawling in a Vmc enclosure. I've used it with a router clamped to the quill for pieces that wouldn't fit in a vmc, have die grinder and air spindle, vacuum attachments.
    Does not require a lot of facilities, and I don't feel guilty letting it sit idle for the investment, it has paid for itself in that environment/usage at least several times over.
    The two guys in the model shop at a previous company did amazing work with a hurco Cnc knee mill and 4th axis (complicated thin-walled, compound electronics housings), and nx-cam before getting two matsuura vmc's.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by car2 View Post
    .......The two guys in the model shop at a previous company did amazing work with a hurco Cnc knee mill and 4th axis (complicated thin-walled, compound electronics housings), and nx-cam before getting two matsuura vmc's.
    Interesting that when it was time to replace the Hurco that a VMC was the chosen platform. Could it have been that it was determined that having an enclosure to contain the mess and a toolchanger to reduce the machine babysitting was a better option than another open, no toolchanger, knee mill? I'd guess those two guys in the model shop were thrilled to have the Matsuuras over the Hurco.

14. Likes Garwood liked this post