What's new
What's new

Aftermarket part catcher options

npolanosky

Cast Iron
There's a big old hole in the door of my KIA lathe where there clearly was something at one point....I suspect it was a part catcher of some flavor. I have a subspindle part catcher, but I don't really do much subspindle work.

If I wanted to have something for the done-in-one work I'm typically doing, are there any companies that make drop-in units for the main spindle? I've thrown a basket in the machine before, but it catches chips as well as parts. And I'm getting sick of dropping parts into the chip tray only to have the fish them out and throw out 10% of them because they got dinged.

I have the M-codes for it, the hole in the door, and ever growing production runs. Went from avg of 2pcs to avg of 200pcs, so it's time to find a solution. Having never seen a main spindle parts catcher before, I assume they have some kind of flap that an arm extends through, catches the part, and then retracts back through? That way coolant stays mostly out and the door can still open?

Let me know what exists and what you like. I might just design and make my own too depending on the what exists and how it's priced. We shall see.
Anyway, thanks!

I have a KIA 15 lms with the same setup. A friend of mine had one too and had KIA come out and install one on his main spindle.

Send a picture of the inside of the machine and I’ll see how it looks compared to my Okuma. I just finished mine (it had one when I purchased the machine but no part catcher was attached to the mechanism.) I rebuilt everything, it was cheap. I will share pictures of mine.

Back