What's new
What's new

AGE3 CONTROLLER TO KMX Questions??

gundog

Hot Rolled
I have a Trak DPM bed mill and I was looking into getting the new KMX control. My price quote from the local dealer is $6200 installed. Has anyone done this on here? I asked if the price was an exchange for my old control or if I kept the control they told me they took the old control. That seems odd to me I was hoping to recoup some of the cost of the new control by selling the old AGE3 control on ebay. I am not sure the gains are worth the $$ my old control is still working but I have had problems with file storage on the old floppy disc. My discs can't be read by a computer but they still work on the machine.

I have on one machine and so far it has been great. The $6200 price has credit built in for the return of your old control. The pendant, computer and aux control box get sent back to SWI so they can be "rebuilt" as exchange replacements - just like with a lot of reman auto parts. I'm sure there is a "core fee" if you didn't return the old parts. When my AGE3 pendant and computer crapped out I had to ship the old ones back or there was a hefty fee to pay which was many times what the actual parts cost me.

I have on one machine and so far it has been great. The $6200 price has credit built in for the return of your old control. The pendant, computer and aux control box get sent back to SWI so they can be "rebuilt" as exchange replacements - just like with a lot of reman auto parts. I'm sure there is a "core fee" if you didn't return the old parts. When my AGE3 pendant and computer crapped out I had to ship the old ones back or there was a hefty fee to pay which was many times what the actual parts cost me.

Thanks for confirming the exchange. I really need a machine that can tap other than using a tapping head so I am contemplating another machine as opposed to spending $6200 on this one.

You would need to upgrade to the XMS or new RMX to get tapping abilities. I was quoted around $11K for the XMS. Additional cost was due to getting all new motors including spindle motor and going from manual to electronic spindle speed control. It's a really slick setup but dang it is a lot of money... Same deal as the KMX, have to return return all parts that get replaced for core credit.

AGE to KMX

I am retrofitting a DPM bedmill with AGE-3 control to KMX, They want #5400 for the new control. This is with them getting my old stuff, all I want is the new control without aux function box, I can start my spindle with a switch, 5hp single phase VFD, The control is $3950 and I keep the old stuff.
The trak encoders and all of the old control stuff sell really well on ebay.

My AGE 3 controller is still working fine but I am having problems with the floppy discs. The machine will read the discs until it doesn't I have had several go bad and I lose the programs. I can't back up the discs because when I put them in a computer it says the discs are not readable or the disc needs to be formatted. I ended up getting a Sharp VMC so I am not making any parts that are not simple to program if I lose a disc. I am not going to spend the money to upgrade unless the control completely dies.

What control are you buying for $3950?

My AGE 3 controller is still working fine but I am having problems with the floppy discs. The machine will read the discs until it doesn't I have had several go bad and I lose the programs. I can't back up the discs because when I put them in a computer it says the discs are not readable or the disc needs to be formatted.

I think it's because of crappy floppy discs. I have an old box of them here and I have to go through 5 or 6 to get one to format in a PC. I do think the Prototrak floppies are 720 K which is a problem for newer PCs. I've started to use an RS232 to USB device from Highland DNC to save and upload files from my AGE3 to avoid disturbing the floppy in the machine. There are a few posts here on PM about replacing the floppy drive(s) with a USB stick reader/floppy emulator, and that's the route I will probably go if the drive fails.

KMX control

I think it's because of crappy floppy discs. I have an old box of them here and I have to go through 5 or 6 to get one to format in a PC. I do think the Prototrak floppies are 720 K which is a problem for newer PCs. I've started to use an RS232 to USB device from Highland DNC to save and upload files from my AGE3 to avoid disturbing the floppy in the machine. There are a few posts here on PM about replacing the floppy drive(s) with a USB stick reader/floppy emulator, and that's the route I will probably go if the drive fails.

The 3950 control is for a new kmx pendent , it is listed on swi sight as outright for $3950

Back