What's new
What's new

Ah-Ha SD124 Stepper controller manual or other help, also for a Bridgeport Boss-II

Kborsum

Plastic
HI All
I have an ancient Bridgeport Boss-II with an equally ancient Ah-Ha control box with just the DS124 controller boards and a BOB connecting them to the PC running LinuxCNC. Been working great, BUT I'd appreciate any help with the following:
1. Manuals, specifications, wiring drawings for the AH-HA stepper controller boards--and possibly a source for a spare board.
2. The same for the bridgport mill, the specifications for the stepper motors in particular.
3. Any information on alternate stepper controller modules that are KNOWN to work with the stepper motors on this mill. The settings on the AH-HA board suggest it is set for 10Amps, but the highest power replacement I can find is a 7A Gecko module.
Thanks
Kelly

I ran an AHHA refit on a Bridgeport BOSS 3 in the 90s. The company went out of business back then. So, they've been done 20 years now. Their design was for DOS only and a parallel port to do IO.

All this stuff is obsolete even for a hobbyist. Time to send it all to the recyclers

AH, but it still works...and I'm trying to find out enough to identify a clear replacement. I know the company is long gone, but I'm hoping someone still has manuals or data sheets. My system has been running fine on LinuxCNC for a year or so...but I do want to find newer hardware.

As near as I can figure out, the boards are set for 10A (IF they are the DS124) or 5A (if they are the DS64). A 4 Amp stepper driver barely moves them, so I suspect the motors really do need the ten amps--but I'd love to hear from someone who has first hand knowledge of the setup.
Enjoy
Kelly

Yep, I'm sure those old BOSS steppers were at least 10A at 48 volt.

The step driver is going to be maintenance free - when it dies get another.
For inputs your are going to have 110 VAC or possibly a DC power need.
There will be a step line coming from the control and a direction line coming from the control. Use a logic probe or look at your Linux manual to determine these.

You will have two pairs of wires to the stepper. Normally obvious which lines are paired. Since its still running give it a G1 as slow as it will move and check with a VOA meter.

You are really in the hobby world. Find a web site that does Linux CNC, tons of helpful types there.

Thanks Karl....
I was afraid of the ten amps...The only new drivers I can find are from Gecko, and they are rated at 7 amps. They offer a full credit return policy, so I guess I'll indulge and try three of them. Stay tuned.

i have a old ah-ha system with very large steppers , still works. have manuals too ill do sm looking se what i can find, on a big burgmaster mill that had a dead ge control had it since late 80s. going to scrap the machine if you need parts shoot me a message

Do you still have the ah-ha manual? I have a fried that has a ah-ha system but doesn't have the manuals?
Dan mauch

Ah-Ha..........(pun intended)

Or Home Shop Machinist.

I actually had an Ah-ha controlled Lagun 10 x 54 knee mill I used to profile plates that mounted secondary AC units on limousines. That was from 2005-2008, there was a place in Los Angeles that repaired and exchanged the boards at the time. I actually wish I didn't sell it before moving east in 2010. It did run off dos commands, but part programs were standard G-code. It would have been great for the bolt heads I now cut manually using an indexing head.

The guy that did the Ah-Ha retrofit stuff or atleast had some sort of ownership/interest in it is a member here. Jholland. He posts in the antique sections often.

Ummmmm, No.

Then we're reading different stuff dude, because there is so much hokum bullshit on this forum that one would wonder how the industry survives. Granted, mostly modern and relevant, but there sure as hell is a lot of funky old "10EE fix-um" junk too! That's fine, but I see a a huge 'cobble' factor going on, whether you see it or not.

Maybe it depends on what you consider "cobble", or maybe I'm out to lunch!:o

Stuart

.... but there sure as hell is a lot of funky old "10EE fix-um" junk too!.....

Is that in the other sub-forums on this site? I rarely look at any of the other sub forums. There's not too much Harry home builder junk on this sub. Several here try to gently (or sometimes not so gently) run them off.

I have a lot of info on the AH-HA drives and software,, I was a bata site for them back in the 90`s and in there time they were the best choice for DIY setups,,, I still have one machine with a full setup and have a lot of spare boards and drives.

Circuit board

I have a lot of info on the AH-HA drives and software,, I was a bata site for them back in the 90`s and in there time they were the best choice for DIY setups,,, I still have one machine with a full setup and have a lot of spare boards and drives.

I'm looking for a circuit board which ones do you have?

Back