What's new
What's new

Air Blast Do's and Don't's

DamnGoodBread

Plastic
hello. I just installed air blast on my Haas VF10 at work and I was wondering some of the no no's associated with using compressed air for chip evacuation. I mainly use it on high feed indexable cutters and high efficiency toolpaths with endmills currently. Most of the time I am just working with 6061 Alum or 1018 HRS/CRS but occasionally I deal with A2, 4140 or Delrin. Any suggestions are welcome I'm looking for advice to expand my knowledge as I am relatively new to the field (2 years setup and 2 years programming).

You'll want to test your endmill paths when cutting Al or other gummy/sticky parts with just an air blast. If you get acceptable results (no BUE) then go ahead, otherwise you may need to add a mist or MQL option that gives you the performance you need.

Be extra wary with pockets, if you trap chips in them which the air can't blast out, bad things may happen quickly...

You'll want to test your endmill paths when cutting Al or other gummy/sticky parts with just an air blast. If you get acceptable results (no BUE) then go ahead, otherwise you may need to add a mist or MQL option that gives you the performance you need.

Be extra wary with pockets, if you trap chips in them which the air can't blast out, bad things may happen quickly...

Where'd my flutes go!?!?

Back