What's new
What's new

Akira Seiki

Beaker

Plastic
Hi all
We have been looking at purchasing a new VMC and the boss has an eye on an Akira Seiki V3.

Can anyone comment on this brand of machine, it runs the Meldas Mitsubishi controller, so i'm thinking it can't be too bad.

Thanks

I just read an article in last months CNC West which turned out to be a shop owner who I had went to high school with.(small world)anyways,they had been using an older Akira Seiki and had just bought a brand new one.They had nothing to say but good things about the machines.The Mitsubishi controllers are nice.We have a Mazak EIA lathe with the Mitsubishi control and i've work on OKK mills and Daewoo lathes with the Mitsubishi control.They're nice.

Akira Seiki machines used to actually be made by Feeler (Fair Friend) in Taiwan (www.feeler.com). I'm not sure if they still are though. I was told that the guy that owns Feeler also owns Leadwell (also Taiwanese). A higher up at Cincinnati told me this as, according to him, my Cincinnati Falcon turning center has Leadwell iron. I also own a '90s Feeler VMC and have found it to be an excellent machine for what it is (lower cost machine). I've even emailed the factory in Taiwan with a few questions recently and got responses from their engineers within 24 hrs. The one thing I would caution is that if Akira Seiki is still made by Feeler, Feeler now has a big manufacturing facility in China. My personnal experiences would make me question the build consistency if this is the case.

I would seriously look into buying the Akira Seiki. From what I have heard and talked to a couple shops they are very nice machines. I had Akira Seiki run a program for me and it took 1.26minutes to run with the high speed turned on and the Sharp with the Fanuc Oi control and the high speed on it could only do the program in 3.49 minutes. The New Mori Duravertical without high speed could only do it in 25minutes. I hear they are very relaiable as long as you keep the limit switches clean. Also if you look at the main website you will see that the spindle speeds are 9000rpms for the VM3 and 11000rpm for the VM3xp. Good luck on the purchase. Let us all know what you get.

I had one for 2 years. It was my first cnc . They were explained to me as a haas/fadal class but better. I would agree.
I had a V3xp. It ran 10,000 all day, every day except in steel.
Joe has Feeler build the machines to his specs. All options are turned on within the mits m64/65 control. Belt drive, older technology external limit switches.
Get the arm type tool changer, keep the limit switches clean for the 3 axis. Change belts every 6 months. It's a commodity machine. it's NOT a Mori, I own a Mori NV5000 now.
Make sure you have support where you are, that's the reason I bought Mori instead of another Akira.
hit me up with specifics and I'll tell you what I know.
I'll tell you this, If I had it to do over again and under NO circumstances would I spend over 90K, I would buy another one in a second.
I paid 61K for a new V3XP 4 years ago and ran the $&^@ out of it and it kept right on going. There is a HUGE difference between that Akira and my NV5000, both in price and performance BUT for 60K it couldn't be beat.

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like were going to get it. It's going to have a 4th axis on it and definitely an arm type changer.

Bob the controller is Mi 645 and hopefully it has all options. I read some where that the meldas runs Fanuc macro B is this true?

I never had a need for it but I believe it does. I'll be at the portland show wed. I'll stop buy and see Joe and the lineup.

Julian
Are you affiliated with Akira Seiki?
You've made three posts where you are touting their website.
On this forum, it's really OK to be one of the insiders, but it is good form to say so in an introduction instead of posing as a user.....

they had the new cnc's at the show. new sheet metal, way covers. control is a new 65 mits. limit switches are now covered.
I did notice something interesting... a new toyota verticle had the same sheet metal, doors, way covers, tool changer assy, etc as the Akira's.

they just changed that website in the last cpl days.

Back