What's new
What's new

AL-30 Chuck Clamp NG error help please

valterroque

Aluminum
Hello
Machine: 2006 Hyundai kia SKT200 cnc lathe/ fanuc Oi-TC

I am slowly trying to make this machine run and after some initial alarms with the fans, tailstock etc (all solved), now it pops up this alarm error.

AL-30 Chuck Clamp NG (the spindle runs but the feed gets hold. only the manual feed works )

The installation Manual its not clear about this alarm as its only printed and no solution is provided.

Searching on the net or in this forum there is a small note about the jaws needed to be in the range as the last operators leave them. but it did not specify how it clears.

The machine arrived without jaws, and i purchase a new hard jaws set from SHUNK. After i installed the jaws, clamped a piece of stock and i tried to command in MDI ex: M3S500 and the alarm pops up.
with the jaws open no alarm
With the jaws close and no stock alarms
With the jaws close and stock pressure alarms.
Can someone give me some indication about how to solve this?
Is this related to some safety parameter?
How can i clear this

Note: I have not tried any programming yet. This is only on MDI.
Some guidance is very much appreciated.
Also note that i have not previous experience with cnc lathes ( i am a square guy).

Regards
Valter

Yeah iv'e got one of those picky bastards. Every time you change the chuck jaw position you have to adjust the sensor on the back of the draw tube.
And an FYI, when loading the tools in the turret you have to load them 180 degrees apart. Don't try to load 1,2,3,4, ect. It has to be 1,6,12,7, ect. That whiny little turret has a small motor on it and if the turret is off balance the lock doesn't engage and the turret spins freely and is a PITA to got reset.

If this is your first cnc lathe experience you picked a real piece of work to learn on. Just message me if you have problems. Your gonna love the coding!!!

Thanks for the reply.
Below is 1 photo of the machine and 1 from the headstock.

You mean to adjust the prox switches in the back (please look at the photo?

Thanks for the offer. I will certainly bother you:)kia.jpgProxSwitch.jpg

Yep, I Bought two Kia lathes in 2006 (SKT-200 and SKT-21LMS) and for some reason the Prox sensors just cant find the sweet spot. The slightest change in jaws or even my collet closers requires some fiddling around with the them. Just clamp your part and move the clamp prox switch till the light comes on and the unclamp sensor till the light goes off.

Looks a lot like my '03 KIA SKT21LMS. Yes, those two switches. One tells it it's open, one tells it it's closed. If both are on or both are off, or the wrong one is on it'll show as chuck clamp no good. There should be a couple of screws that let you slide em around. Also make sure your chuck clamp direction (internal or external) is correct. On mine that's controlled with a key on the control front panel.

Let me know if you have questions or programming trouble. I also have a work-in-progress Fusion 360 postprocessor for it, with working C axis milling and theoretically working (not fully tested though) subspindle functionality

As for the manuals that came with it,,,, Yeah, just bury them somewhere. I'm pretty sure the translation from Korean to English went through a room full of people that just thought they could speak English.

I think you nailed it. They're definitely poorly translated and incomplete. At least the electrical and ladder diagrams are all there so troubleshooting can be done.
I have also not been able to get anyone from KIA/WIA/Hyundai/current name on the phone or to reply to an email, so if anyone knows how to get a human on the horn to answer a technical question or order parts...lemme know.

On the bright side, even though mine is 15 years old and the previous owners ran it hard it held +/-.0002" all day long on a run of parts yesterday. So there's that.

And hey, there are dozens of us with them. Dozens!

I think you nailed it. They're definitely poorly translated and incomplete. At least the electrical and ladder diagrams are all there so troubleshooting can be done.
I have also not been able to get anyone from KIA/WIA/Hyundai/current name on the phone or to reply to an email, so if anyone knows how to get a human on the horn to answer a technical question or order parts...lemme know.

On the bright side, even though mine is 15 years old and the previous owners ran it hard it held +/-.0002" all day long on a run of parts yesterday. So there's that.

And hey, there are dozens of us with them. Dozens!

When I got mine I only purchased them because the local dealer dropped the line and the price was near half off. What they didn't tell me is that included support. You're right about them being accurate but getting parts is next to impossible. Here I am 13 years later and still cant make the live tools rigid tap. The Prox switches have always gave me problems. I see why Kia put such long slots in the mounting plates. If I'm running the sub up to do a pick off or part off I spend quite a while setting the switches in the main and the sub, Otherwise it runs up to the part and grabs it but all axis motion gets locked.

To the OP, what ever you do, DON'T lose the gaskets under the prox switches. If they fall off the switch touches the draw tube ring and you'll be hunting a new switch and spending a day wishing you had tiny Asian hands to fish the wire through the casting. I learned that one the hard way.

Let me know if you have questions or programming trouble. I also have a work-in-progress Fusion 360 postprocessor for it, with working C axis milling and theoretically working (not fully tested though) subspindle functionality

Will it work on HSMWorks or just fusion 360? I know someone that has HSMworks so i would like to give it a try someday. My machine is just 2 axis.

But initially regular G Code must be first option i guess.

To the OP, what ever you do, DON'T lose the gaskets under the prox switches. If they fall off the switch touches the draw tube ring and you'll be hunting a new switch and spending a day wishing you had tiny Asian hands to fish the wire through the casting. I learned that one the hard way.

Thank you both of you. It did it. I removed the blocking plate as well and viewed how the sensor align with the ring.
And i was careful with the shims/gaskets;).
The tip for the tools loading positions is also valuable. Thanks.

Hi
Unfortunately problems are not over yet.
Apparently this turret or the Spindle is out of center.
I manually machined a little round of Aluminum stock i had around and it is leaving a tit on the middle.
But even it is a small length cut the diameter dimensions look good on both ends. Just the center is off.
Will try to machine a longer stock. Also the machine was previously tooled for left tooling and i am using a
borrowed right tool. It should not make a difference but....
Should i call a service tech or it is doable for a noob like me?
Rgds

Take a picture of your turret face. I can provide instructions if it's the same as my SKT21LMS. I just realigned mine a couple weeks ago.

Hi there. resurrecting a dead thread here, but hopefully someones got an idea for me. I just got an 01 skt25 and I'm getting an al-30 chuck clamp ng. When I look where the proximity sensors seem like they should be, there's nothing there but 2 plates with plugs in them. Any ideas for how to overcome this? Thanksimage0(11).jpgimage0(11).jpg

Well thats interesting. Did you look around for the two sensors to see if someone had pulled them out and tie up somewhere? They could have taken them off and changed a parameter to not look for something then actually fell loose and made eyesight with a surface.

they could be any number of places if they are even still attached at all. Of course you would start in the cabinet but no telling. Kias are filled with tiny caverns and tunnels that make fishing wires and tubes though a nightmare. If you cant find the sensors you'll have to change some parameters and I feel for any non Korean that has to figure that manual out.

Can't help you much more than that without having my hands on the machine.

Back