Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lots of good info in this thread! I will have to sit down and go over it in detail to implement a solution, but it appears everything I need to know is here.

I don't want to call T0 M6 at the end because it will put the tool back in the changer and leave the spindle empty which is just asking to get chips in the spindle taper when blowing off the part/vise/table.

It's not the end of the world and wouldn't be difficult to work around, I just rather fix it. I wouldn't spend a bunch of time on it but being the wealth of knowledge here I figured a question could save me a lot of research...and I was right!

OK time to get back to work, thanks to all who contributed.

2. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    Lots of good info in this thread! I will have to sit down and go over it in detail to implement a solution, but it appears everything I need to know is here.

I don't want to call T0 M6 at the end because it will put the tool back in the changer and leave the spindle empty which is just asking to get chips in the spindle taper when blowing off the part/vise/table.

It's not the end of the world and wouldn't be difficult to work around, I just rather fix it. I wouldn't spend a bunch of time on it but being the wealth of knowledge here I figured a question could save me a lot of research...and I was right!

OK time to get back to work, thanks to all who contributed.
    Well... a valid concern, especially if just having operators. Can you designate a 'dummy' tool? Just an empty holder or whatever as ALWAYS T1 or T20 or whatever. This way you 'protect' the spindle and still resolve the toolchange error...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Well... a valid concern, especially if just having operators. Can you designate a 'dummy' tool? Just an empty holder or whatever as ALWAYS T1 or T20 or whatever. This way you 'protect' the spindle and still resolve the toolchange error...
    I am the only one that operates any of my machines but I like to use air and or the coolant hose to clean things up. If I had only "operators" I would likely give them a vacuum, chip brush and rag I know compressed air is a topic of contention but I've been using it for years on MY machines including manual machines with no problems. You just can't be a moron and blow into places you don't want crap to go (sometimes the chip brush needs to come out).

Your idea of a dummy tool would definitely work, I just rather not for a couple reasons. One, this machine only has an 18 tool changer so I would rather not sacrifice one of its already limited pots. Two, it just seems like wasted time to me doing a tool change that isn't necessary. I don't do high volume work and cycle time isn't very important to my bottom line but I still like to try and be as efficient as possible. It's good practice and in the event I ever do run something high volume I will already have some of the bugs worked out and shaved off a few seconds here and there on each cycle. And Three, I just want it to recognize the tool in the spindle. IMO it's a feature that should have been there to begin with and if I can implement a solution at the logic level, there is no better solution.....IMO

5. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My mill control also does this. I just put a block delete / in front of the tool change line of the tool already in the spindle and turn on the block delete switch when I run in auto mode. Dan

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just chiming in to say that VANCBIKER nailed it. A huge percentage of machines have an M6 macro that is implemented during the install. Perhaps it should be fixed in the ladder, but for whatever reason, that's not how the Japanese do it. It's not that big of a deal to make your own logic for tool changes.

I would argue that setting up an M6 macro is the only "right" way to fix this.