What's new
What's new

Alt solutions to Interapid style indicators? Pricey!

huleo

Hot Rolled
Typically use these in a mill holder to check for straight and flat and indicate holes in older fixtures that have an XY offset zero hole. Was going to order a few but they are not cheap so I was wondering if there was another solution to consider that has even more uses?

We had tried one of those coax indicators, which seemed great but realized it was not accurate enough. Running your head around to try to see an indicator for hole centering sucks!

A mitutoyo .0005" DTI on Noga flex arm is my personal solution. I trust it more than my haimer for centering round parts.

A .0005" full kit goes for $150ish up here so I'm not going to complain about that cost.

Interapid's just the brand. We keep ours in the inspection area to lessen the chance of an accident. Look up Test Indicator and you'll see a lot more options. We use Mitutoyo, Starrett Last Words, and old Federals. All have been good quality to use with resolution ranging from .001 to .0001.

You can also get import ones for super cheap. If you buy one, plan on buying more once they get dirty and banged up. The name brand one's arn't bullet proof, but they are more reliable and can be repaired when accidents do happen.

Interapid isn't cheap,but the quality is excellent. I've had mine for almost 30 years.
For quick indicating stuff on the machine, I bought a Fowler for 1/2 the price, so far the quality is fine,but a coworker bought the same one and his failed within 2 weeks.

I guess that is why I use the word "style" for Interapid. Seems when you search for test indicators, they more commonly have dove tails. The little pivot on the stem makes all the difference though we have been in situations where we need to do a quick check on a larger hole diam. In such case, maybe where a part was programmed to just have an XY0 of the center of a round blank. Then we have to scramble for another solution because the indicator we typically have at a machine can only do about 1" or so.

maybe a small pivoting extension arm?

I have not taken the dive into a Haimer yet. Being multi axis, I would have a little concern finding a hole center with one.

Fowler Xtest has an integrated stem, but our's doesn't have the best movement/repeatibility (probably won't buy another).

Each maker has their own way of giving you a full range of motion. I think there are Brown & Sharpe and Mitutoyo models with a similar integrated stem, but I'm not sure.

I have not taken the dive into a Haimer yet. Being multi axis, I would have a little concern finding a hole center with one.
The haimer will drag if you use the full travel of the dial but I will usually touch off only .005" or so and find the high spot with that. Same as using an edge finder the accuracy improves by repeating it a couple times but by that point I'd be done with a dial.

We had tried one of those coax indicators, which seemed great but realized it was not accurate enough. Running your head around to try to see an indicator for hole centering sucks!

I'm alway surprised to see that people don't seem to notice the dovetail that most test indicators have between the dial and the tip pivot. If you attach there then the face is always pointing up and you can run the tip down at 90 deg. to sweep holes. I set my indicator up like that when I first started and have never had reason to change it.

Thats what I'm talking about! I cannot bring myself to spend that on a China piece with questionable functionality. You can find dove tails for $10! We have a couple China ones and they work fine but I would not trust the .0005" ones we have to be reliable much below .001".

Then I was looking for a Mitutoyo caliper and realized China is ALL OVER that!!! Only they missed critical elements like stating resolution to .0005" but they don't! .001" is it! China doesn't innovate anything, just order and try to copy crap. They lean on other countries to spend all the R&D money to develop a real product, then just duplicate it. It just boils me......

I've used a few different ones over the years but when it comes time to buy something for myself it will always be Interapid. My .0005" one is 26 years old now, works as good an new and is the one I use the most. Like calipers, if everyone has to supply their own they will last much longer.

"Running your head around to try to see an indicator for hole centering sucks!" Use a mirror.

Last edited:
Yep these indicators are really very good. Usually when someone mentions this they do not realize how there are Very much the last word in indicators. I know that sounds hokey yet it is also MHO.

One fellow I know was having the same trouble and bought one from a tool salesman which was the tool guy’s personal and over ten years old. My friend paid less sure but my friend was never comfortable nor satisfied. Too the decisions he made other purchases using only proved he made bad descision constantly. Sure if one can not justify a interapid buy a bestest. They will work.

Over the years, I've purchased a number of measuring instruments from Long Island Indicator Service. Although a bit more expensive than the usual suspects, their website is a treasure of information on what is available, unusual configurations, history, and comparisons of various makes/models. In the same spirit as references to Maritool, Exkenna, and other well thought of suppliers, wanted to add their website to the discussion. Motivation is purely as satisfied customer over the years for sales and repairs.

27 : Long Island Indicator Service

Fred

I've got 2 small dial Interapids and a large dial one. And a whole drawer full of dovetail mount Mitutoyos and other brands. I use a Mit tenths indicator on the rock, but on the machines I always grab an Interapid.

It's the stem inline with the point- makes picking up holes and pins a snap, you don't have to fiddle with it to get it oriented.

If it's for inspection it doesn't matter, but if it's for picking up locations nothing beats Interapid imo.

I started with a Fowler interapid copy, it was pretty nice. Bought two more years later and each time they have gone down in quality. Couple years ago I bought two genuine Interapids but haven't been all that impressed with them either.

Last one I got was a mitutoyo truetest with a dovetail to leave on a Noga magnetic base flexarm since Interapid just don't work the best on these. What a sweet indicator! It is so much more rigid not having that pivoting arm, one less thing to influence the indicator. It has .060 travel like a Interapid (.0005 versions) and a secondary counter dial like an interapid. My favorite part is the dial rotates the same direction regardless of which way the tip is moving unlike an Interapid style that the dial switches direction. This just makes more sense to me, easier to read the high side if that makes sense.

It is hard to beat an interapid style for picking up holes in a mill but there are many attachments that would make a dovetail style indicator work just as well.

Zero backlash! .060 of travel. Magnetic resistant! Lots of holder and indicator tip offerings. Buying the knockoffs are not the same ever!

It does always seem the case that over years that most experienced Machinists will turn to Interapid because they are the best and so the Machinist knowing this for a fact is confident and also reassured with using the bonifide Interapid test indicators.

I've got a couple of Interapids, but they don't get used much.

Don't know why, but their bi-directional needle movement just rubs me ( and my guys as well ) the wrong way.
Perhaps it is stupid, but somehow can't warm up to it.

We use Mitutoyo or B&S last words when it counts, Chinese when it just has to fit within a row of assholes...

I have Interapid, BesTest, Mitutoyo, Starrett, and at least one other. All have their ups and downs. Personally BesTest is my go to. I’ve bought several new ones, still in the plastic wrapper, for really reasonable prices on eBay over the years. I regularly work English/Metric so have never hesitated to buy metric. It’s a comparator, what does it matter if it’s .01mm or .0005”?

Checking indicators are easy to do if you need to “verify” a used one for “shop” use.

I do keep my Mit .0001” and (insert German brand) .00005” indicators in the cabinet so I don’t accidentally grab them to indicate something stupid.

Back