What's new
What's new

Alternatives to G-wizard?

blue_heron

Plastic
Can anyone recommend a professional feeds & speeds calculator that isn't G-wizard? It's my first choice, but I'd need to install Adobe AIR on my laptop to use it, which is against my company's security policies. Thanks!

There are loads of apps for iPhone, Android etc from the likes of Sandvik, Iscar, Mitsubishi etc. They are free and you can install them on your own phone, so no problems with paranoid IT types.

At least you only need Adobe, Since I switched to windows 10 Enterprise I cant load because of compatibility issues. I really wish Bob could get that resolved.

FS Wizard is the free app by the same guy who did g wizard and is available on the google play store.

Can anyone recommend a professional feeds & speeds calculator that isn't G-wizard? It's my first choice, but I'd need to install Adobe AIR on my laptop to use it, which is against my company's security policies. Thanks!

Haaha! I am so glad I am out of that type of shit show!! :D

Sorry no advise. :o

edit: I use Harvey tool's pdf's for calculating small endmill stuff. There is some other stuff there too..

Harvey Tool - Research Technical Information about Carbide Cutting Tools | Harvey Tool

I've been happy with HSMadvisor. I switched to it from Gwizard and I'm actually getting way better results on smaller endmills. Seems less buggy too.
The Helical machining advisor is pretty solid too if you're using their tools or similar that you can xref, and the harvey/helical/etc speeds and feeds published on their site are decent as well.

As an alternate path...could you ask the IT people at your company to install everything for you? Explain that it's important for efficient and safe use of the machines. I'm sure they'd be able to since it's for a legitimate business purpose.

maybe take less than 5 minutes to learn how to input a math formula into Microsoft Excel ? Excel is like a programmable calculator that saves the formulas so if
you want to change some factors like diameter or sfpm when you press enter it will recalculate. microsoft office (includes excel) is usually on most business computers
i not only have a row setup for each tool but i also calculate cutting force and hp requirements and chip thinning. once you have a row setup with formulas it takes literally 2 seconds to copy for another tool. thus you can have a tool database showing say 10 different feeds and speeds tried on a particular tool and note any sudden tool failure that have occurred. basically using tool history to avoid repeating previous mistakes or not the best cutting parameters to try.
.....so you can list easily 1000 different tools and cutting parameters tried already. I also have cells go yellow and or red if cutting force and hp exceeds limits for a particular machine and particular tool holders based on previous history. obviously a 3" long tool holder and a 20" long tool holder have different cutting parameter limits

Everyone around here uses HSM Advisor as well. The limitation we've found is that our toolholding and workholding is not often up to the task. If everything is rigid, we can take info right out of there and plug it in with success. The drilling (for coolant-through especially) is absolutely spot on.

As always, you usually need to tweak a few things here and there if your setup is lacking somewhere.

One thing that pisses me off to no end with GWizard is the god-awful material library. I mean...they don't even have 304/303 stainless steel as an option. They have 316, but that machines completely different! I mean come on, this calculator has been out for almost a decade. I can name a list of 20 materials that I have had to use alternative software for.

Thus I use HSM Advisor most of the time. That software has like 200 materials to choose between.

Sometimes GWizard spits out some seriously random numbers that make zero sense. I love the threading tables portion and some other features, but the Speed/Feed calculator just is not robust enough.

I would love for BobW to update his material list to include things like PEEK, PTFE, etc. with their own specific listing. Just because a material is "soft plastic" doesn't mean it will machine like another "soft plastic" whatsoever. Also 'soft plastic' as a category doesn't even make sense in this field.

There are plenty of materials on my end. You just have to click one of the other buttons near the material dropdown and it opens a full list.
image (1).jpg

But yeah I'll agree, I've had better success with the HSMadvisor numbers, especially with small tools and in tougher to machine materials.
I have both, it's interesting to compare numbers and see if they agree or disagree, and how they match up with manufacturer recommendations as well.

In the end I don't consider any calculator to be the final word, but rather guidelines and starting points that you still have to apply some common sense and experience to.

There are plenty of materials on my end. You just have to click one of the other buttons near the material dropdown and it opens a full list.
View attachment 259287

But yeah I'll agree, I've had better success with the HSMadvisor numbers, especially with small tools and in tougher to machine materials.
I have both, it's interesting to compare numbers and see if they agree or disagree, and how they match up with manufacturer recommendations as well.

In the end I don't consider any calculator to be the final word, but rather guidelines and starting points that you still have to apply some common sense and experience to.

That I did not know, I will look into it. I as well usually cross reference speeds and feeds for tougher stuff or unfamiliar materials. I pretty much have my aluminum speeds perfect with Harvey/Helical tooling. Those things are total beasts.

Back