What's new
What's new

Aluminum prices

Kallam

Cast Iron
Scared to ask ,I need to order 1000 lb order of 6061 aluminum rod this week whats that costing per pound now .Last time I bought 2300 lbs at $1.75 I know its gone up but how much.I usually buy from Yard or Ryerson .
Thanks in advance
Tim

Just call around and get pricing. Price varies a lot more based on whoever picks up the phone and if they want to sell to you or not, than whatever trump tweeted yesterday. If a change of a few cents a pound really makes that much difference in the bottom line, maybe those parts aren't worth making to start with.

Just call around and get pricing. Price varies a lot more based on whoever picks up the phone and if they want to sell to you or not, than whatever trump tweeted yesterday. If a change of a few cents a pound really makes that much difference in the bottom line, maybe those parts aren't worth making to start with.

You forgot to add which way the wind is blowing as another variable. Places in my area are basically just throwing shit on the walls with pricing to see what sticks, blaming everything on tariffs. I had some domestic material quoted 3 months ago go up 55%, same exact item and quantity. I am waiting for the local farmers market to raise the price of tomatoes 200% and blame it on tariffs.

Just heard yesterday on the radio that Hulamin (Our biggest aluminium guys here) posted over 70% down on their profits for this half year. They relate it to the States trade "wars" and tariffs. They are mainly into sheet but I think people often pass over how much Aluminium we actually export from here. But hey, I suppose I am not in the high seats of anyone's government nor would choose to be.

I would assume that it has gone up quite a bit over there over the past 6 months.

I was quoted $3.35 a lb for 6061 cut plate... 3000 lb order

2.32 on 6061 bar stock from my main supplier that we spend $10k a month with normally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure on the price, but we were told sheet 2024 isn't available until at least September from yarde...1/2 and 1-1/2 sheet, I think 1-3/4 was in there too. Had to order 24x24 sheets from msc. 1600 bucks for 1-1/2 lol. And one of our decisions actually makes the plate lol. We got a good laugh on that in the shop.

There's other suppliers but it literally takes 3-4 months for new vendor approval.

my last quote
4.00PC 921.00LB 2024-T351 - RD 4.5000 144.000 960.00 /PC $ 3840.00 921LBS

Just paid 2.43/lb for some 6061, but was only about 600 lbs. This was from Jorgensen. Domestic material.
I'd swag it's up about 10 percent, based on purchases the last few months. Fry will sometimes beat their prices, but their stuff is usually imported, at least the 6061, as I recall.
Stock can be iffy at times from Fry.

OT- Jorgensen was actually reasonable on my latest buy of 17-4! Usually they've been close to double Fry's prices in the past.

Just paid 2.43/lb for some 6061, but was only about 600 lbs. This was from Jorgensen. Domestic material.
I'd swag it's up about 10 percent, based on purchases the last few months. Fry will sometimes beat their prices, but their stuff is usually imported, at least the 6061, as I recall.

OT- Jorgensen was actually reasonable on my latest buy of 17-4! Usually they've been close to double Fry's prices in the past.

I wasn't aware EMJ carries 17-4. Are we talking about round bar?

Not aluminum, but I recently was looking for .5" 303 stainless square bar. I had ordered from EMJ before but there prices recently increased substantially. I called a number of places and surprisingly Fry Steel was the most of all

Fry will sometimes beat their prices, but their stuff is usually imported, at least the 6061, as I recall.

I was in SoCal for 15 years, very frustrating the way crappy Chinese aluminum infected the market. I must have switched vendors over a half dozen times. Most of them started out as "domestic only" then one day with out warning the bars show up strangely missing any markings from the mill. Before I fled the state in 2010 I was using IMS for 6061 at the time only the real large sizes were Chinese and I never used over 5" round.

I got a quote from Ryerson today 700lbs. $2.56lb.
this is for Service center alum. I wanted Sapa alum.
they can't get it anymore.

Read a news article that China stop taking our scrap. I think the new article is confused, China stopped taking our plastic back at the beginning of the year because we were sending them crap combined waste stream recycle. Allegedly this also translates to scrap metal, which drove the scrap markets down. I think it's a bunch of horse crap, if the Al is separated before going to China, they aren't gonna turn it down. The reality is that WM and other big guys rolled out those "put all your recycle in a single can" bins, made it look like magic, or convicts were sorting your recycle. Reality is they just empty all that crap into the truck, then unload that truck into a 20ft container destined for China. There are no fancy computer controlled machines or bored people picking crap off a conveyor...in the USA, just a bunch of bored Chinese people picking stuff off conveyors, the rest going to landfills.

Only stuff you can recycle now is drink containers with a deposit, glass bottles, and cardboard. HDPE, LDPE, tin cans, PETE, etc is all going to the landfill because these companies never bothered to invest in tech to do the sorting domestically. There is a huge opportunity for someone to come up with a machine to sort our trash into stuff that can be recycled properly...then turn whatever is leftover into electricity by burning it :D

I got a quote from Ryerson today 700lbs. $2.56lb.
this is for Service center alum. I wanted Sapa alum.
they can't get it anymore.

Service Center sucks,it is probably made from anything recyclable mixed with ingots imported from China.

I wasn't aware EMJ carries 17-4. Are we talking about round bar?
3/8 X 1 1/2
For the last few years, Fry had always been my source. This time Fry was out, no known re-stock. Called EMJ, good price, but had to come out of Chicago. Don't know yet it if it's domestic, or Italian. I've used the Italian material before, no issues.

Back