What's new
What's new

My new Brother Speedio toolsetter offset mount

Finegrain

Diamond
Hi guys,

The spirited discussion around MiamiCNC's machine selection motivated me to finally make an offset toolsetter mount. This is what I came up with:

IMG_1384.jpg

It's steel, so it will be super-duper accurate ;). I happened to have a piece of 3/4" wall steel angle on hand that I used.

Couple things that I learned while making this:

1. When mounted at the very corner of the table, you don't have any good options for skim cutting in-situ. A big facemill can reach in X and Y, but not in Z unless you have some big extended-length facemill. Endmills can reach in Z, but not in X and Y.
2. Yes, parallelism of the mounting surface to the table is very important. After a couple tweaks, I got it close enough so that the error between big (5/8") and little (1/8") tools is ~.0001".

Regards.

Mike

Last edited:
Steel? It has to be Inconel! Just kidding... Aircraft grade billet aluminum works fine too. :blahblah: Nice job. I am sure it will serve you well.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

The spirited discussion around MiamiCNC's machine selection motivated me to finally make an offset toolsetter mount. This is what I came up with:

View attachment 272148

It's steel, so it will be super-duper accurate ;). I happened to have a piece of 3/4" wall steel angle on hand that I used.

Couple things that I learned while making this:

1. When mounted at the very corner of the table, you don't have any good options for skim cutting in-situ. A big facemill can reach in X and Y, but not in Z unless you have some big extended-length facemill. Endmills can reach in Z, but not in X and Y.
2. Yes, parallelism of the mounting surface to the table is very important. After a couple tweaks, I got it close enough so that the error between big (5/8") and little (1/8") tools is ~.0001".

Regards.

Mike

I thought about facing mine after mounted, but ended up using the supplied conical washer and dti to get it flat.

Back