Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So are you guys mostly cutting 6061 or do you do any of the higher grades like 2024 or 7075? We use 2024 for almost everything at work and standard endmills seem to work fairly well in it, any reason to go with the specialty endmills?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by npolanosky View Post
    Look at helical. I have one of theirs in 1/2" and I LOVE it. Super versatile.
    http://www.helicaltool.com/prod/Redu...-Neck_328.aspx
    I'll have to try that out. I'd actually looked at Helical, but their website isn't great so I didn't see it. They don't list it under the Aluminum rougher section.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All right, you jerks... I'll fire up some 3/8" corncob roughers in the morning I would hate to be that guy that goes and asks advise on PM and then argues and refuses to accept the consensus. I'm thinking carbide rougher at 300 IPM, 20% stepover, full depth. Let it eat and see how it does. It might add a tool change or two… but they only take .9 seconds so I suppose I can live with it. I'll be damned if I ever ask you guys again if those shitty little chips get in my flip flops.

4. Likes Volitan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G00 Proto,

I'll toss in my 2c worth...

For high feed rate material removal with 3/8" diameter, the Helical shown below is my favorite. Only .500" DOC on this one, but it really can be pushed.

My all-time favorite end mills for non-ferrous are the Iscar ones shown below. That happens to be a 3/8", .750" DOC. Iscar makes these in very limited sizes. I have a 1/2" one that I swear I've been using for nearly 2 years on aluminum, plastic, and mag... (admittedly I'm semi-retired and do primarily proto work), but that thing still cuts like the day I bought it. Looking at the grind, it almost appears like it has no back clearance at all behind the cutting edge... but this thing is magic.

Neither of these are bargains, or even inexpensive, but I tend to buy for performance, surface finish, and lifespan.

Your mileage may vary.

PM

em.jpg

6. Likes G00 Proto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have been happily using OSG Aero Blizzard or SGS S-carb for both roughing and finishing aluminum.

8. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by precisionmetal View Post
    G00 Proto,

My all-time favorite end mills for non-ferrous are the Iscar ones shown below. That happens to be a 3/8", .750" DOC. Iscar makes these in very limited sizes. I have a 1/2" one that I swear I've been using for nearly 2 years on aluminum, plastic, and mag... (admittedly I'm semi-retired and do primarily proto work), but that thing still cuts like the day I bought it. Looking at the grind, it almost appears like it has no back clearance at all behind the cutting edge... but this thing is magic.

em.jpg

I'll back you up on the Iscar mill. I used those for years at another shop I worked at and they are amazing. We would routinely do jobs where we removed around 80% of the mass and I could use the same mill for days before changing it out. Constantly did cuts with it on a VF-2SS at 12k RPM at 200IPM with a 1/2" depth of cut. Fastest ever got it was the max feed at 500IPM (tried 800 but made no difference in how fast the machine could move ) with a 1" DoC with a .055 step over.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am all about Helical Solutions 3 flute rougher/finisher end mills. They are monsters! I run my 1/2" (1.25 length of cut) at 200 IPM with full flute engagement, zero issues whatsoever. 20-30% radial stepover usually. My spindle load doesn't flinch, it is mostly limited by my fixturing, as in your case

When I need a really good finish, YG1 45 degree uncoated, high polish are my choice

Country
    SWEDEN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    good luck doing a 10" deep bore with a 3/8 dia end mill
    I have! In stainless!

... and it wasn't fun.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by G00 Proto View Post
    I appreciate all of the replies so far, I must be the only one that loathes corncob and wavy flute endmills. It just seems to me that those little snowflake chips get everywhere (especially between the part and the soft jaws, and in my flip flops). So far it seems like YG-1 is a preferred option. Their recommended feeds and speeds are pretty conservative (and they should fire whoever makes their youtube videos). I'll see if I can get a couple samples next week to run side by side.
    I'm with you on the corn cobs. something about getting pricked with chain-mail just doesn't work for me. For economy and decent MRR I like the Garr Alumastar. Its a good mill at a very affordable price and the teared price regrinding is excellent. If you have the occasional bump on something hard Garr is a go to tool. I think the last time I sent some in the 3/8 were about $6 a piece for grind, re-coat, and shipping.

Now, If you are needing to dissolve material at lightning speed and typically your only problem is wear then open the checkbook and get an Emugee. A 3/8 will run you maybe a tad over $100 but it will last until Jesus comes back.

Alu-Cut | Emuge Corporation

13. Likes CNC Hacker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the Garr Alumastar. I tried many kinds in 5052 al and so far these left the least burrs, broke less of them too, actually, none. Price is pretty good.
    Worst ones were the OSG Blizzards, just wtf kind of grind is that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    So are you guys mostly cutting 6061 or do you do any of the higher grades like 2024 or 7075? We use 2024 for almost everything at work and standard endmills seem to work fairly well in it, any reason to go with the specialty endmills?
    Anybody?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I ran a corn-cob rougher for a week. I pushed it as hard a I wanted (300 IPM, .875 DOC, 25% stepover). It ran like a champ. Then I noticed my coolant pump sounded a little funny and my chip bin was a little light. Damn it. A couple hundred pounds of fines in my sump.

I guess I'll order in some Garr Alumistar endmills and give them a try. They seem reasonably economical and they are willing to actually publish their prices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I ran a corn-cob rougher for a week. I pushed it as hard a I wanted (300 IPM, .875 DOC, 25% stepover). It ran like a champ. Then I noticed my coolant pump sounded a little funny and my chip bin was a little light. Damn it. A couple hundred pounds of fines in my sump.

I guess I'll order in some Garr Alumistar endmills and give them a try. They seem reasonably economical and they are willing to actually publish their prices.
    I have been very happy with the Garr Alumistar endmills I have run. I don't do production work... but they have preformed very well, even when I may have accidentally run one full depth and full width of cut. It wound up breaking, but it made a concerted effort!

Another note, I run fine grain roughers from 1/4" to 1/2". 5/8", 3/4", and 20mm are coarse. Because of this I am constantly afraid of fines in my sump. I started buying filter material from McMaster and cutting sheets to lay down in my chip pan on my Brother as an additional filter. I think it helps, will let you know in another 6 months when I clean.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    I have been very happy with the Garr Alumistar endmills I have run. I don't do production work... but they have preformed very well, even when I may have accidentally run one full depth and full width of cut. It wound up breaking, but it made a concerted effort!

Another note, I run fine grain roughers from 1/4" to 1/2". 5/8", 3/4", and 20mm are coarse. Because of this I am constantly afraid of fines in my sump. I started buying filter material from McMaster and cutting sheets to lay down in my chip pan on my Brother as an additional filter. I think it helps, will let you know in another 6 months when I clean.
    When I had to deal with a bunch of fines, I would buy furnace filters from the dollar store (they have cheaper ones at Walmart, but the dollar store if way classier) and put them on the top of my chip pan. They lasted a couple of days and then I would throw them away.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I had to deal with a bunch of fines, I would buy furnace filters from the dollar store (they have cheaper ones at Walmart, but the dollar store if way classier) and put them on the top of my chip pan. They lasted a couple of days and then I would throw them away.
    There is a gal down the way that recovers pillows etc, and gives me free dacron filler for filters. It works awesome. You can get some filter material at Home Depot, looks like and works the same I'm pretty sure. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The boss over at Garr should put my name on the back of his boat because I'm pretty sure I paid for it. I use a ton of their alumistar cutters.

I prefer them over the Yg-1 FWIW.

21. Likes g-coder05, SND liked this post