What's new
What's new

Amada ha250 stopped pumping coolant

biglord4ever

Aluminum
Out of the blue, my amada ha250 stopped pumping coolant. The motor still turns and all the lines are clear.... any ideas of what’s going on? It’s as if there’s no suction anymore.

Is the strainer basket the pump sits in clean. There is also a screen on the chip box the coolant drains into.

If the motor turns but there's no motion/pumping I'd be looking at the impeller and the shaft coupling.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Take it out of the sump, put it into a bucket of water, let it run there and see what happens.
The damn thing is just a cheap ass impeller pump afterall.....

Unfortunately I can't take the sump and put it in water as its driven by the saw's motor via a pulley.

So all lines are clear, the chip basket and filter are clean, I replaced the gasket on the motor, and the coolant level is plenty high... no luck. I'm waiting to hear back from Amada. But I can't understand how a pump randomly goes bad. It's strictly mechanical and nothing is broken. So for now I guess me and my bic cup are the coolant system. Gotta get stuff done. Can't wait around all day for a phone call...

Sounds like an older model then if it's belt driven.
How bout ditching the existing pump altogether, and get a small 240V 1/8HP pump and connect it to two of the the saw motor's power legs.

Bandsaw coolant systems are horrible. Amada made all these little drilled homes with small npt plugs. You will have to first see if your impeller os spinning and if it is start tracing all the small coolant passages with a wire to clear them.

Bandsaw coolant systems are horrible. Amada made all these little drilled homes with small npt plugs. You will have to first see if your impeller os spinning and if it is start tracing all the small coolant passages with a wire to clear them.

I've narrowed it down to the motor. When I open it up, I see 2 gears and no impeller(s). I assume that means they were plastic and got shredded- then washed out with the coolant.... Best guess at this point. Am I correct in assuming there should've been plastic impellers in the motor housing?

If it’s anything like the one we had at my last job it’s a gear pump, not an impeller pump. It should be below coolant level for self priming but I don’t think it was? You could perhaps put a check valve before the pump or a foot valve on the suction if doesn’t have one already.

They used to take off the delivery hose and squirt some oil down it to get it to go again.

I think it might be a carry over from when machines used to run heavy cutting oil. It's pretty common on older machines. Also, they run a much lower RPMs, which is probably more practical for older machines.

I had the same issues with mine losing prime. I'm sure the issue is wear at the ends of the pump. The gears wear grooves in the ends and leak past. I could not find any parts for mine so I just replaced it with the centrifugal pump.

I gave up on the old gear pump and ordered a new electric pump that'll wire into the machine. Hope to have it back up to normal this week. The bic cup is getting old.

When I called Amada about parts, they told me to just swap it to an aftermarket electric pump. I used a 3 phase pump with contactor and heater. But, I think there are 110V pumps that have internal thermal protection. That would be easier.

Back