Another Fadal will not power up thread
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Another Fadal will not power up thread

Hi all,

Didn't run the machine for a couple of weeks, fired it up and see this screen.

img_3076-1-.jpg

Based on some research here the first thing to check (per BobW) was voltages. I get 5.00/+11.99/-11.94 VDC. Disconnecting the -12vdc wires for the PS didn't not change the voltage, so there isn't a power drain pulling the voltage down.

There's a pot on the board which I adjusted to get -12.00vdc, with no change to the rectangles on the screen.

My first plan of attack is to replace the power supply. I've pulled all the boards, cleaned contacts etc to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

(edit: removed some images and information that I was confused about but am not now)
    Last edited by WA-CNC; 08-10-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WA-CNC View Post
    Hi all,

Didn't run the machine for a couple of weeks, fired it up and see this screen.

img_3076-1-.jpg

Based on some research here the first thing to check (per BobW) was voltages. I get 5.00/+11.99/-11.94 VDC. Disconnecting the -12vdc wires for the PS didn't not change the voltage, so there isn't a power drain pulling the voltage down.

There's a pot on the board which I adjusted to get -12.00vdc, with no change to the rectangles on the screen.

My first plan of attack is to replace the power supply. I've pulled all the boards, cleaned contacts etc to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

(edit: removed some images and information that I was confused about but am not now)
    If your getting 5v and +/-12v output, why expect the problem is the power supply? It is a common problem on these machines but if your getting the proper voltage out then its probably fine??

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mmurray70 View Post
    If your getting 5v and +/-12v output, why expect the problem is the power supply? It is a common problem on these machines but if your getting the proper voltage out then its probably fine??
    It would seem that would be the case but according to this thread

Fadal wont start battery replaced

see post#2

The power supply could appear to be OK but still suspect. As the screen is unreadable, there are no error codes so it's difficult to know where to start trouble shooting. The first measurement showed one voltage to be -11.94vdc, and the AC ripple was out of tolerance as well (should have mentioned that in post 1), which leads me to suspect the PS first. There's a vendor down the street with new PS's for $200 so I'm going to try that first. I should know by early afternoon if I got lucky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I turned out the battery voltage for the CPU battery was 0.1V

Changing the battery and wiping the memory did the trick. It's now up and running

5. Likes Bobw, jancollc, cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Forgot to add.

After changing the battery, the screen remained the same.

To get into diagnostic mode it requires a jumper across the J2 jumper on the 1400 CPU board.

Then the next step is to wipe the memory.

Then remove the J2 jumper and carry on.

At which point you've lose programs/backlash values and have to do the SETP routine to tell the machine what it is.