What's new
What's new

Another Inconel 625 thread

oppster

Aluminum
Hi,

We have a potential order going through for next February. Inconel 625.
We are fine with the 6mm tapping of which is an Emuge tap.

My main concern is the 7/8's UNC threads. We have a 2 tipped threadmill, of which i know will be time consuming.

16 holes a component, 75+ components per month.

I'm here fishing for ideas, i feel if we go for a 7/8th tap, we aren't going to get more than 50 holes.
That#s if our machine can power a tap that big through Inco. The 6mm Taps normally do approx 60ish holes as far as i can remember in a test piece we tried a few year back.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Look at full-form threadmills, which can cut reasonable depths of thread in one pass (although you might be well served to use two or more passes with Inconel to preserve tool life).

If you need a particularly deep thread you may find tapping is best. My thought would be to not rapid the tap out, that might prematurely wear the crests of the tap thread.

Look at full-form threadmills, which can cut reasonable depths of thread in one pass (although you might be well served to use two or more passes with Inconel to preserve tool life).

If you need a particularly deep thread you may find tapping is best. My thought would be to not rapid the tap out, that might prematurely wear the crests of the tap thread.

We do have small full form threadmill for smaller threads, and use them regular for tougher materials.
Its 25mm deep the thread. With a 28mm drill depth, so will have to be threadmilled :)

I would go for a single profile threadmill. Do the math. If your cutting 5 threads at once, you increase the load on the shank by 5x.
You might also look at EDM

Ceratizit is here, and pushing to expand. I've tried some of their turning stuff, seems pretty nice.

The real beauty of WNT/Ceratizit is not their indexable tooling, which is pretty standard, but their solid tools.

Their selection of endmills is just vast, and covers every possible scenario. A lot of the modern solid carbide endmill features that I see discussed here pretty frequently nowadays have existed in the WNT lineup for years.

A lot (all?) of their solid tools are rebrands, but all of the highest quality. Taps for example all come from Reime Noris, and they are right up there with Emuge.

They are expensive, but justifiably so for the most part.

A lot of tooling vendors preach those single form-multi tooth threadmills for difficult materials, but IME, if your machine is rigid you'll do better with a comb style threadmill such as the old (and proven) Vardex TMC series. Cutting forces are massively increased, but the cut distance is massively decreased, which makes for more predictable tool life and much reduced likelihood of the tool going blunt halfway through a hole.

I would argue that a multipoint threadmill will actually be more rigid than a single point for the same reason that an endmill engaged in HEM along its whole flute length is more rigid than the same endmill using only the tip.

Dont forget they now own Komet and Klenk workholding now.
Gives them alot more of an extensive range especially the komet long series drills.

Back