What's new
What's new

Any experience machining Dyneema panels?

RedPete

Plastic
We have a product that requires 3 axis machining of a Dyneema panel but am having difficulty with the machining of it and has had instances of spoilboards burning due to heat build up when running at 10k + 90IPM, and 15k + 90IPM. DOC 0.25" and 2 flute EM for Aluminium.

I have read quite a few posts on machining of UHMWPE and there seems to be various camps on this. Slow Speed high feed, moderate speed high feed using single O Flutes and 2 flute end mills as well as the high speed high feed ones so a pretty big variance on parameters but very limited on the machining of dyneema. The recommended cutter from our cutter supplier (6 flute carbide endmill for metal) broke during the trial but the fiber wrapped around the cutter at 10k and 128IPM.

Does anybody have experience on machining of dyneema and willing to share what has worked for them?

if it does act like uhmw then slow speeds and moderate to high feeds and the sharpest tool you can get. It doesn't like heat, its almost wax. 2 or 3 flute more clearance for the chip.

I've never seen any particularly successful machining of it...everyone seems to quickly figure out they should be cutting it on a waterjet. My money would be on an O flute router bit from Onsrud with low speed and moderate feed.

I would try a diamond insert (PCD) cutter, better still would be single crystal diamond but I suspect that's too expensive. You want the sharpest edge possible with the least friction and chemical interaction, that's diamond for this application.

Don't bother with diamond coated carbide endmills, too dulled by the coating radius over the cutting edge.

How thick are these panels? And you may have some better luck with down shear cutters if thin enough. Air jet to clear chips and cool, and the down shear will not pull fibers up from the panel. I cut .375 canvas phenolic all day long with a single flute 5mm down shear Onsrud bit. I toss the bit after four 4x8s, but the nested parts are apx 5" x 1". A lot of them.

Thanks for the responses, I am busy compiling my test plan on what and how we are going to run a couple of trials.

Dyneema insert is 0.25" thick. Its worse than machining pure UHMWPE. We have an air chiller on order as well so should be able to run this exercise in a couple of days and feedback.

just an update on the results. We have an air chiller blowing on the bit during operation and running at 200IPM, 10000RPM using a 0.25" 2F EM seems to do an acceptable job for us.

Dyneema is a fiber
Do you mean the Uni directional material Then cross plied and pressed to panels bonded with latex or the kind ?
The balistic material
I can imagen that how it cuts also depend on the bonding material
I used to work for the compagnie that made the UD and cross-ply machines

Peter

This is the cross plied pressed panels that is bonded within a honeycomb composite sandwich panel as the picture shows above.

Back