What's new
What's new

Any experience with Mazak QT EZ Lathe series?

MiamiCNC

Plastic
Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a new lathe, 10" chuck with MY and came across the new Mazak QTEZ series. These are priced approx. 30% less than the QT series, with less HP, smaller spindle, etc., but interestingly casting of the same weight. These are new machines, so I am hoping someone out there may have some first-hand knowledge about these machines. I have experience with Mazatrol and have grown to like it. I am also considering Okuma and Takasawa.

Much thxs

What do you make? I didn't compare specs on the EZ verses regular QT but if its 30% less in price I would think it would be that much less of a machine.. Lathes are cash machines as long as you can get rid of material quickly. Since setups are generally quick the whole area of profit is getting material off fast..

Okuma is a great machine but I wouldn’t own another one because of the length for the ROI. The OSP control on Okuma lathes would be the selling point. They may have a tad more weight than other brands but your not jumping around with HSM tool paths on 3 axes so no advantage there.

If you're a finger jammer or CAM jockey the Takisawa is gonna take the top of the list. They are built as well as Okuma and Mazak. They are over powered if anything when it comes to spindle. They hold tenths all day long after years of abuse, and as BortherFrank mentioned in a recent post, They are running smoking deals right now. mid $50K for an 8" Takisawa is a steal..

I just looked, the Mazak gives you 4500 RPM at 20 HP momentarily verses the Takisawa has 3200 Max RPM with 15 HP for 30 minutes. The Mazak is 1500 KG heavier so thats a big difference. On that note the machine selection would be part specific. Smaller parts needing Higher RPMs so then the Mazak. Larger work needing lots of metal removed the Tak is gonna be more torquey with longer duty.

The Okuma L3000 is nice but not twice the price nice. 3800 RPM with 30 Momentarily 20 Continuous HP is nice. Weight wise is the same as the Mazak. I detest there website as they give you the minimum amount of specs so you have to call and get a quote witch is half assed. They send you a notebook full of options that you check off then goes back for another quote that comes back and gets negotiated then resubmitted with the final price. The base price is $100K so tack on a few options and the ROI just isn't there.

Forgot to mention -- General job work, low volumes, mixed material. Small shop (garage). This will be my only CNC lathe. In regards to power, the QT20 (20hp) was adequate for all my past jobs. Here are the models I am looking at -- Okuma L3000MYe, QTEZ10, Takasawa ?? (still waiting for details). All will include full complement of static and live tools, chip conveyor, etc. I expect them all to be similarly priced. I have no experience with neither mazak nor Gosiger, but assume the service will be adequate. I own a brother and have nothing but praise for the local Yamazen guys. Mazak has been making lathes for a long time, so it is unlikely that the QTEZ will be a dog, but just a little wary since it brand spankin new...hence my post.

it is unlikely that the QTEZ will be a dog, but just a little wary since it brand spankin new...hence my post

I wouldn't worry so much about the "New Machine" being a guinea pig run with Mazak so much as I would not having a programable tailstock with live toys. It says it's a bolt down style with quill so that means about 4" of travel. Not a real problem with radial tools but try getting an axial holder and tool between the quill and the part and you may re evaluate things.

If I was getting a machine with live tools its gonna have a programmable full bed length travel or a B sub spindle with a spring loaded center. Even Haas and Wia realized a bolt down wasn't such a good idea in that area.

Looking at the 3 machines the Okuma and Mazak are both bolt down with 90mm quills and 100mm travel while the Takisawa TCY has full bed length servo tailstock.

Takisawa
Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 11.29.48 AM.jpg
Okuma
Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 11.32.38 AM.jpg

I was looking at the Mazak are’s aswell but it was priced higher than the qtu series at the time. Takisawa was also more than a qtu.

In regards to Takisawa, they have been building lathes about 100 years and turning or mill/turning is all that is stocked in the USA. If you are looking at a single turret Y axis machine, the TS-2000YS, TS-3000YS, and TS-4000YS is what is stocked here. The 2000 is 6" chuck main spindle with 6000 rpm, the 3000 is 8" chuck with 5k rpm (2.65" bar cap.) and the 4000 is 10" chuck, 3.23" bar and 4200 rpm. All three have 6" sub, 6k rpm and full C. 2000 has 20 station turret and 3000 and 4000 both have 12 station. 20 station and 12 station are compatible with NL mori turret tooling so lots of nice options there. Florida Yamazen has a 3000 on the floor now I believe. The TCY has essentially been discontinued. The TS machines cover a lot of capabilities. Twin turret machine would be TM.

What did you come to choose?
I’m in the same boat, looking for a 2 axis 2.5” bore for my garage CNC production shop :)

I went a bit bigger than you. A2-8/10" chuck, 3" bore, with milling and Y axis. Due to my relationship with Yamazen I would have gone with Takasawa if it would have fit. Unfortunately have a particularly small arched garage opening, so no go. I am getting an Okuma 3000e MY, have 1 inch to spare. May need to remove some sheet metal. I don't think you can go wrong with Tak/Doosan/Okuma/Mazak. Look for the best machine for the $ depending on your application and available deals. Will post some new machine pics when it arrives in two weeks.
Dan

I’m looking at a used integrex now instead. Similar money for a more capable machine. But it’s old and used.

The new qt ez we’re pretty high on the price. The qtu300hpmsy came out cheaper and by the numbers was better.

Definitely want to see pics of you squeezing an integrex into a garage.

Well it’s not exactly a garage? I got a 10x10 roll up door so it typically ain’t too hard.

Just gonna be real fun to try to fit it between the 2 vmcs and the surface grinder and the rest of the junk.

Back