What's new
What's new

Any experience with NZX 2000 SY /800??

PavelK

Plastic
Hi,
We are looking for productive Turn/Mill machine.
Material - Aluminum
Size - Dia MAX 2inch
Lots - 300-900pcs

We have 2 candidates
1) Mori Seiky NZX 2000 SY /800
2) EMCO Hyperturn 45

I will apreciate if you could post some + and - comments.

Thank you very much!

Regards
Pavel

We have 12 of the NZX2000/800s. All of them are running doughnut shaped die cast parts with 7" ID and 10" OD that are gantry loaded. About half the time on each spindle is spent turning at 30000 rpm and the other half is doing a mix of drilling and milling.

Pros:
-The 12000 RPM live tools are great for aluminum.
-With a good chiller setup they are very thermally stable and hold size.
-Maintenance issues have been minimal, but we are very proactive with the require procedures.
-Visibility is pretty good before the coolant covers everything.

Things to consider:
-Chip management is pretty good, but small aluminum chips can make their way under the covers and behind the seals. They have come out with an improved set of wipers, but the issue still persists. Plan on cleaning out behind the covers every 2-3 months at those production rates. If you let it build it, the wipers on linear rails can be torn up.
-Local support varies by location and company size.
-Parts availability has been good on the majority, but a few parts have been months out from Japan.

Let me know if you have any specific questions on the machines.

Hi J, Thank you for your response and comment that is very welcome and appreciated! We had to buy NZX because of some reason... so I will come back if any issues ...

Regards
Pavel

We also have one. They are a lighter version of the NLX. Our NZX has been running lights out for 5 days a week almost constantly for 4 years. It needs maintenance, like any other machine, but is very productive. Be careful with the live tooling. Monitor and replace when needed. We had a live tool seize up on our lower turret and cause extensive damage. With the right maintenance, you will have a great machine for many years.

We also have one. They are a lighter version of the NLX. Our NZX has been running lights out for 5 days a week almost constantly for 4 years. It needs maintenance, like any other machine, but is very productive. Be careful with the live tooling. Monitor and replace when needed. We had a live tool seize up on our lower turret and cause extensive damage. With the right maintenance, you will have a great machine for many years.

I'd be interested to hear what exactly the damage was from a seized tool.
???

Does this model have the live tool motor in the turret it'self?

IDK if I've ever had a live tool seize? (I before E except after C ... ................. and whenever else Webster thought it not best?)

"Lighter Version"

In what ways?

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

???

IDK if I've ever had a live tool seize? (I before E except after C ... ................. and whenever else Webster thought it not best?)

In what ways?

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Live tools will seize if you run them under load on the high end of the rpm range for extended periods of time. They are especially troublesome if you run them with the coolant off/dry. Coolant through units are highly recommended if you plan to run them in high demand applications. Coolant running through the unit will help keep the shaft cool and help keep the lubrication from running out of the bearings. It is also highly recommended to filter your coolant to keep the seals from getting torn up prematurely.

???

In what ways?

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yes, it does have the live tooling motor inside the turret. We run this machine pretty much 20 hours a day 4 or 5 days a week. This was a 12000 rpm tool. Normally we go through all the tooling in the turret every 10,000 parts. We replace all the cutting tools and check the live tooling holders for runout and noise. A periodic check was skipped and at about 14,000 parts, the bearings in the live tooling holder seized and ripped itself apart. The drive motor in the turret is pretty strong, and it shredded the holder and damaged the drive motor itself. Lesson here- MAINTENANCE IS IMPORTANT!

You must have the world's only lathe with a 30,000 RPM spindle. :D

It was a significant cost adder.

Yes, it does have the live tooling motor inside the turret. We run this machine pretty much 20 hours a day 4 or 5 days a week. This was a 12000 rpm tool. Normally we go through all the tooling in the turret every 10,000 parts. We replace all the cutting tools and check the live tooling holders for runout and noise. A periodic check was skipped and at about 14,000 parts, the bearings in the live tooling holder seized and ripped itself apart. The drive motor in the turret is pretty strong, and it shredded the holder and damaged the drive motor itself. Lesson here- MAINTENANCE IS IMPORTANT!

We haven't had one seize up, but I have pulled one out that was pretty shot. You could rotate in the input shaft and get nothing on the output.

Our blocks last about 60 days of cut time before they get pulled. We cut one tight bore that starts to show chatter and taper when the bearings start to give up. They are all coolant lubricated units and the filtering system is pretty good. Plus we don't really hog with them.

We haven't had one seize up, but I have pulled one out that was pretty shot. You could rotate in the input shaft and get nothing on the output.

Our blocks last about 60 days of cut time before they get pulled. We cut one tight bore that starts to show chatter and taper when the bearings start to give up. They are all coolant lubricated units and the filtering system is pretty good. Plus we don't really hog with them.

We bought ours from WTO. They also rebuild for about half the cost of a new one. Unless it is in several pieces.

We bought ours from WTO. They also rebuild for about half the cost of a new one. Unless it is in several pieces.

We have the Sandvik Capto blocks, but they are made by WTO. Same for us on rebuild cost. About 4k new and $1500-$2200 rebuilds.

:D

I have 8K available, but not sure if I run any quite that high?
But I've never seized one up before, but I have plenty that are loose.

Are y'all saying that your coolant goes through your bearings?
Not just though the block next to your bearings?

I have coolant through the block - yes. (Hardinge)
And Swiss whatever makes the ER coolant adaptors if you want TTC.

???

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

That doesn't say how fine that you are filtering to.

I have bag filters of a few of my machines, but I'm just lookin' to [what they refer to as] "gitt'n the rocks and bottles" out of it so's not to plug up coolant drills.

But you must have at least a secondary, if not a third filter?

Also guessing that you try to keep your concentration higher than normal?

Not that I am into synth coolant, but I would guess that it would be best to be running regular soluable?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back