What's new
What's new

Any idea of the price of new Mazak QT Smart 100S turning center ?

Without chip conveyor. And what is the "smart" and "S" bit about ?

Last I heard, they were not making the smart anymore-it's a supposed to be simple control-but what the salesman told me last year-they were not selling many so it may have been discontinued-I would expect 80-90 or so...Get a regular QT-with the new smooth control-very nice...

Last I heard, they were not making the smart anymore-it's a supposed to be simple control-but what the salesman told me last year-they were not selling many so it may have been discontinued-I would expect 80-90 or so...Get a regular QT-with the new smooth control-very nice...
So "smooth" is better than "smart" :confused:

Perhaps next year they conjure up a "silky smooth" control :drink:

"Smart" controls were a stripped down control vs. the Matrix/Nexus series control. We have (3) lathes with "Smart" controls on them. Non PC based, while teh Matrix/Nexus were built on Windows PC's.

Correct - Now discontinued, and the world is better for it. They work OK, but they weren't popular. When you need help & call Mazak, you get crickets on the other end when you tell them you have a "Smart" control.

Both the "Smart" and Matrix/Nexus controls are replaced by the "Smooth-C" and "Smooth-G/X" controls. Smooth-C is the stripped down base-model Mits hardware, found on the cheaper machines. Smooth-G is the lower end, full touch screen, Windows PC based control for lathes, 3-4 axis mills I believe. Smooth-X is also all touch-screen, with more axis capability I believe - for the 5-axis & mill-turn machines.

We have a QT250 with the Smooth-G, all touch screen control. I hate it. My least favorite machine to work on. My biggest gripe is that it lacks a physical keyboard & other tactile operator-panel buttons. They also changed some menus around, so they're no longer in the same location as before. Tool Data page now looks like that found on mills. Probably better, but not what I'm used to. As for computing power though, it's a darn fast control, as far as code execution, etc...

Ours is a 2-axis, A2-8 spindle, 12" chuck upgrade, servo tailstock, 1000/1250? mm bed length, with conveyor. I think it was 120k, or so, summer of 2019 dollars. (Yikes!)

Wild ass guess that a QT(whatever)-100 lathe should be 75-80ish without a conveyor.

I wonder how the pc based controls will do over time in these machines. It’s been my experience that support for older pc based anything is nonexistent.

I wonder how the pc based controls will do over time in these machines. It’s been my experience that support for older pc based anything is nonexistent.

Mazak has used PC based controls since the Fusion control. That came out in 1998, and used Windows 95. I have 4 of these running, and last I checked hard drives are available for replacement.

The 100's(6") in North America were mostly made in Singapore as far as I was told. 8" and up models are USA.
Around 80K as far as I can remember(I think a smart 200, 8" was about 85-86k), but could have been a bit less in the US.
The Smart series did get discontinued when they changed to the QTU series. Where a QTU 200 is actually about the size/capacity of the 100's. I don't know why they messed with the number system there...

Like Chad said, some of these manufacturers have been running PC's since Windows 95 came out, and they are still supported. How far back you wanna go?

They now have an EZ series of mills coming along. My experience is that they make some really good machines, and some stripped out versions to compete in the low $ market. Are you still getting a Mazak? Yup, want some fries or nuggets with that?

And Kentucky is about 6 weeks out from a signed PO for a machine to your build. Fookin Porsche usually takes half a year or much more for a custom order.

And Kentucky is about 6 weeks out from a signed PO for a machine to your build. Fookin Porsche usually takes half a year or much more for a custom order.

That varies quite a lot. We have a lot of Mazak's and are getting machine quotes often as we bid new jobs. 6 weeks in march, in a ho-hum economy doesn't surprise me a whole lot. 6 months out, in July, in a busier economy, with people trying to take delivery before the new year for Section 179 - wouldn't surprise me either...

Back