What's new
What's new

Any information on "Turnex CNC" labelled machines?

Newhope

Plastic
As part of an equipment package, I recently acquired a "Turnex" "Super Chucker" CNC lathe. It looks like someone wanted to make a copy of a hardinge horizontal turret CNC, but decided to add some of their own 'improvements'. One of the rather odd things about the machine is the construction, rather than a traditional bed, it uses hardened round rails and appropriate bearings, and was built on what looks like a large granite surface plate.

The machine was upgraded to shadow controls at some point. With the machine I received a bunch of paperwork for the shadow uprades, but nothing about the lathe itself. It's a 5C spindle nose, and I'm fairly certain the hardinge 8 sided turret plates interchange. It's a handy small sized machine, and I think I'll end up wiring it up and seeing if I can get it running. (It was under power before taking it out of the old shop)

If anyone is familiar with the machine, I would appreciate insight or information, my googlefu isn't turning much up.

I saw one at a shop auction back in the early 90's. Interesting machine, they made some CNC versions and manual versions. I have never found any info on the net, so suspect there were very few ever made. Post pictures, would love to see it.

I saw one at a shop auction back in the early 90's. Interesting machine, they made some CNC versions and manual versions. I have never found any info on the net, so suspect there were very few ever made. Post pictures, would love to see it.

Thank you, glad to know I'm not the only one who can't find anything... although I wish the opposite were true.

I'll get some photos later in the week if I can, it's still strapped down to the trailer in climate controlled storage waiting for me to make floor space for it and the other machines that I bought with it. I don't know why I'm so drawn to project machines... Oh wait, it's because I'm cheap :wall:

i have a Turnex chucker. it has a very interesting history coming out
of the Brunson Optical Tooling company in the late '90s. its been an amazing
journey for my ambitions as a unique machine & the CNC paradigm it offered.

Back