What's new
What's new

Any other good options besides Haas CM1 for micro machining??

PriddyShiddy

Cast Iron
Any other options out there you guys know of or have used?

The specs on the Haas are literally perfect for me.
20 tools
30K RPM
12" x 10" x 12"
750ipm
5hp

Most importantly it's only 60" x 48" so I will be able to fit 3 of them in the shop down the road with a little wiggling and some grease. I need multiple spindles more than I need bigger travels, faster rapids, and tapping at a million rpm. I can fit 8 hours of run time in a 12 x 10" space and have a seemingly unending demand for these production parts. I've been running these on my TM2P which is NOT suited for this by any means, the 'roughing' tool is 0.02" finishing is 0.005" so my 6K rpm spindle is murder on my output.

Nice thing on the CM1 is it has all the needed features at $60K. Literally the ONLY thing I need to add is memory. Funny... my $37K TM2P cost me $60K after adding all the features I needed LOL.

Datron would be nice... but $ to output makes zero sense at those prices. I could buy 3 CM1s and beat the crap out of one Datron output for less money.

I just can't find any other options except D/T centers which really aren't designed for this. Before I go to my HFO this week I wanted to ask if I am missing some other options out there in the same price range or if ANYONE has run one of these. I have found NOTHING on the net except a terribly programmed and finished part video from IMTS.

The next gen control issues has me a little put off and there are NONE of these used. I have seen some OMs around but nothing that screamed 'good deal' vs just buying new.

You won't find used CM's, they came out very recently. That also means no pre-next gen control. What Haas had before they brought out this was called the Office Mill, OM-1. If I recall, it was basically the same thing. You might look for some of those used. Seems like the OM's had a 50K spindle. May have been an option.

Edit: I do apologize, somehow I missed your last paragraph there! You've already looked at OM's. Oh well. Carry on!

I will add, I don't know anything about Brother machines, but they seem popular for high-speed stuff.

You won't find used CM's, they came out very recently. That also means no pre-next gen control. What Haas had before they brought out this was called the Office Mill, OM-1. If I recall, it was basically the same thing. You might look for some of those used. Seems like the OM's had a 50K spindle. May have been an option.

Edit: I do apologize, somehow I missed your last paragraph there! You've already looked at OM's. Oh well. Carry on!

I will add, I don't know anything about Brother machines, but they seem popular for high-speed stuff.

Too popular... trying to find one from this decade used for less than the new CM1 is has been interesting to say the least. If I was 'milling' and 'tapping' they would be my FIRST choice. I really want to play with one, own one and keep it busy, but it would be bored running these parts and a waste of money I think. No way I am going to get a 0.005" tool up to 500ipm feedrate and no tapping to utilize their abilities (and price).

If you're buying three of the Haas's get some paperwork in place that guarantees uptime and spec-meeting. Ideally run some of your parts on a demo machine before commitment. Ensure they will replace a machine that fails more that "X" times in a year.

Don't let them sell you crap. Watch your back. Verify, do not trust.

I used to like Haas, I have two of their machines. But I won't be buying any more after what I've seen of them dropping the ball over the last five (or more) years.

If you're buying three of the Haas's get some paperwork in place that guarantees uptime and spec-meeting. Ideally run some of your parts on a demo machine before commitment. Ensure they will replace a machine that fails more that "X" times in a year.

Don't let them sell you crap. Watch your back. Verify, do not trust.

I used to like Haas, I have two of their machines. But I won't be buying any more after what I've seen of them dropping the ball over the last five (or more) years.

Unfortunately the three will likely be one at a time and only if the first one doesn't crap out. That is WHY I posted this thread. I would rather not give them money, but I also can't afford to spend 2x more (yet).

Why do you feel the 30 taper machines wouldn't be up to snuff? A fairly vanilla Brother s500X1 with a 27k spindle should be 80ish, definitely cheaper than 3x a haas if you only expect one to not be broken down at any given point.

Why do you feel the 30 taper machines wouldn't be up to snuff? A fairly vanilla Brother s500X1 with a 27k spindle should be 80ish, definitely cheaper than 3x a haas if you only expect one to not be broken down at any given point.

I didn't say a 30 Taper wasn't up to the snuff. It's over snuff. Too much snuff. More money (for things I don't need) and bigger (takes up space I DO NEED) for more machines. From what I recall Brother wanted $100K for the machines we talked about. That's a LOT of extra money for useless to me features. I'm not milling. No end mills. No drills. No taps. Brother is better than my TM2P for sure but kind of like renting a Uhaul to carry a trash can.

Which Datron were you looking at? the Neo? They look like neat machines but I've never seen any pricing numbers for them; what price did they give you?

Not as enclosed as the Haas, but take a look at

5 Axis CNC Milling Machine, CNC Machine - MDA Precision

Similar price gets you 5 axes. And 60k rpm.

I had a client who needed micromachining, they bought one, I taught them the basics of how to use it, they like it, and never ask me to do any of the hair pulling stuff anymore :)

These guys are a few blocks from me. Ive heard they are pretty good but havent used one myself.

Which Datron were you looking at? the Neo? They look like neat machines but I've never seen any pricing numbers for them; what price did they give you?

They quoted me well over $100K for a USED M8... don't think that neo existed a few months back when I talked to them. Interesting little machine, but dumb as f&%* I have to join their mailing list to see the brochure. Don't matter, I am sure it's far enough north of $100K it doesn't even remember passing it

These guys are a few blocks from me. Ive heard they are pretty good but havent used one myself.

That is a snazzy looking set up. Basically a High End Novakon/Tormach machine. Every component looks well sourced/made. I do need more than 8 tools though and my "facing tool" is 1/2" EM. Wouldn't mind the open frame that much... but don't think that is a production machine.

I didn't say a 30 Taper wasn't up to the snuff. It's over snuff. Too much snuff. More money (for things I don't need) and bigger (takes up space I DO NEED) for more machines. From what I recall Brother wanted $100K for the machines we talked about. That's a LOT of extra money for useless to me features. I'm not milling. No end mills. No drills. No taps. Brother is better than my TM2P for sure but kind of like renting a Uhaul to carry a trash can.

No drills, mills or taps? What the hell DO YOU USE?

No drills, mills or taps? What the hell DO YOU USE?
Haha... I had that coming. 60* engravers for 90% of the time. I "face" with a 1/2" mill and do a cut off with a 1/2" diameter woodruff. It's NOT engraving. It's 3D milling with 0.005" engravers for practical purposes. Rough with up to 0.05" engraver and a quick 1/2" engraver knocks an edge

(hence the title Micro Machining)

Wrong words courtesy of Tapatalk and Voice To Text. You bar well come.

Haha... I had that coming. 60* engravers for 90% of the time. I "face" with a 1/2" mill and do a cut off with a 1/2" diameter woodruff. It's NOT engraving. It's 3D milling with 0.005" engravers for practical purposes. Rough with up to 0.05" engraver and a quick 1/2" engraver knocks an edge

(hence the title Micro Machining)

Why a small engraver instead of a micro endmill (square or ball end)?

Back