What's new
What's new

Any regrets buying a Brother?

digger62

Aluminum
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Speedio S700, and was wondering if there was anything you know now that you wish you would have done differently when getting your Brother.

The machine will be mainly used in production of 7075 plate work (blanks 4"x6"x.625"). 1-5K piece runs. There will be occasions where I'll be cutting some 17-4 H1075 (2"x2.5".5"). The largest drill I use in the stainless is .5". The largest facemill is 2.5". Everything is machined on 2 sides only.

Buyers remorse can be a b***ch. I just want to make sure there isn't anything I've overlooked, like silly things that don't come standard that are rather necessary(I'm looking at you FANUC).

I've been making these parts for several years on a Sharp, but volume has got to the point I need to add another machine to the tight garage.

The only thing I wish we had was capacity for more tools, otherwise, it's a great machine. If you can afford it, get through spindle coolant.

If you can afford it, get through spindle coolant.

I never understood this logic.
To me, if people can't afford that option, then they shouldn't be in the market for a new machine.

Thru spindle coolant is a must have IMO.

I never understood this logic.
To me, if people can't afford that option, then they shouldn't be in the market for a new machine.

Thru spindle coolant is a must have IMO.

I discourage at least half my customers from buying CTS systems. The cost is often not worth the production increase.

Deep drilling or high ratio pocket milling are where TSC is needed....it's nice everywhere but it's a real problem solver in deep applications. Half the stuff I machine now I don't even run coolant.

No regrets. Just get the machine with the TSC prep so you get everything else with it like the larger coolant tank, chip wash, and auto grease lube.

You can add the motor, pump and valve yourself later for much cheaper than the $8,800 Yamazen wants. Everything is all ready plumbed, the filters are already there, and the motor starter and thermal are there. I added the same pump,(Hydra-cell M03x and C series valve) to my lathe recently for under $1k buying all the parts new off ebay. I will be adding the same to my Speedio here soon.

I had strong buyers remorse about a month after getting my S700x1 up and running at full efficiency. All that time the last few years wasted waiting for my old Haas to change tools. ;)

I have a regret: I sold it.

I hadn't used it for a production job in like a year, I was broke, and it was worth $4k (to the guy who bought it).

If the stars align, I'll get to buy it back with 10 more hours on the machine than when it left.

TC-211 BTW.

You'll be remorseful that you bought the machine, did the work, and now it's sitting 90% of the time doing nothing. You'd be much happier with a mid-90's HAAS because you'll be working all the time feeding it parts, hard work == happiness.

No sir, idle machines are bad for morale.

What are you going to do with 90% free time and 100% of the money?

You'll be remorseful that you bought the machine, did the work, and now it's sitting 90% of the time doing nothing. You'd be much happier with a mid-90's HAAS because you'll be working all the time feeding it parts, hard work == happiness.

As the owner of a mid-90's Haas (that's being worked on right now), I resemble that remark...

Through spindle coolant is IMO a very productive tool which can pay for itself very quickly, often in just a couple of jobs. Even when you aren't drilling deep holes it pays because the coolant through solid carbide drills even at 3xD can run faster and at higher feed rates, getting much longer tool life. You also can usually achieve better finishes and tighter tolerances on holes. There are more designs, coating and development on such drills because there is just so much you can get from a non coolant through drill.

Of course chip evacuation in milling is a given too. When milling stainless steels and superalloys, even coolant fed end mills can last MUCH longer just by virtue of keeping the tool cool while it cuts. In aluminum it can keep chips from sticking to the edge, allowing even higher feed rates.

The only time it's not paying for itself is when it's not being used, such as heavy milling of carbon steels dry. There, tool life is preserved by avoiding thermal shock.

As for regrets in buying a Brother, the only comment I've heard from the shop owner was that he's sorry he didn't buy one a LONG time ago.

I wish I'd gotten CTS on my 700, but i do have the interface so if I wished hard enough I could get off my ass and get it. No need on my 500s, different application.

My first one I wished I'd gotten a probe immediately. You can't do ANYTHING meaningful with the door open and the windows aren't great, so setting workpieces up without a probe is irritating.

I wish I had bigger coolant tanks on my 500s (they have the default tiny ones) but those are scheduled for conveyors anyway. Pain in the ass for now.

I really, really wish I'd held Yamazen to their various promises for this and that BEFORE I signed off on any of my installs. I'm STILL waiting on the offline PLC editing software and cad models years later.

Back