What's new
What's new

Any sources of used Nakamura 30mm VDI tool holders?

Cannonmn

Stainless
We have enough tooling to do many jobs but could use more. EBay seems to have very few of these listed. We’re requesting info on what the new tooling dealers have, one is Methods and one is Global CNC, here. https://www.globalcnc.com/nakamura_vdi.htm

The stuff is a bit pricy so if anyone has usable used stuff or knows of someone with it, pls share.

going rate seems to be $90-200+ per tool holder. Ive just been scooping them up as I see good deals and making lower offers on ebay listings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What style/size are you looking for?
I have a few spare stick and bar holders

I’d like to get the drill holder for Morse #2 shanks, M2217, sidelock holder M2341, shank set ring M3180, drill sleeves M2124 and V1125 (?), extension holders M2122 and 2123, and bushings M2120, 2121. If u have any of these to spare, pls take photo since I’m pretty ignorant on this tooling and I may have some of this list already. Only looking for 30mm, that fit Nakamura-Tome Slant Jr.

I think I need some help too!lol
I clicked your global cnc link in the first post and its blank
Google is no help either when looking for those part numbers.

Here are the tool holder pages for the Slant Jr.
I would be interested in the V1125 MT2 sleeve or the M2217 MT 2 holder. I have two Manca 22.3031,75 1-1/4" round bar holders. I would like to trade one for a M2217 if possible.

Attachments

• Slant_6-4.jpg
    Slant_6-4.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Slant_6-5.jpg
    Slant_6-5.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Slant_6-6.jpg
    Slant_6-6.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Slant_6-7.jpg
    Slant_6-7.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Slant_6-8.jpg
    Slant_6-8.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 38
Anyone know exactly what this switch does, toggles between “Chuck work” and “bar work.” This switch is inside the back of machine showing me that it was added after 1985, when our manual was published, and this switch isn’t mentioned in that manual. Our machine was made in 1989.

Flickr: Page Not Found

I’d also like to know how specific I need to be for the tooling I need to fit my Nakamura-Slant-JR. I know I need VDI 30mm and I like to see Nakamura in the description, but that’s rarely included. For example, here’s the detail from one for-sale ad, which I suspect doesn’t apply to Nakamura but I don’t know why.

“VDI-30 style CNC lathe turning tool holders. (Eppinger)

2 pcs. P/N 222.100.250
3 pcs. 222.150.250
1 pc. 222.105.150”

and here are photos of those, top and bottom. They look a lot like my Nakamura holders. Will they work in my Slant Jr. Or not?

John Morris has shared 2 photos with you! | Flickr

Last edited:
I have a ton of different vdi30 tool holders of many brands. I dont have any issue with some fitting and some not.
Keep in mind I am running Hardinge machines with a Duplomatic turret and not a Nakamura.

I have successfully bought VDI30 tools for a Hardinge lathe with a Sauter turret on Ebay even though the tools weren't advertised as being for this specific machine. As far as I know, VDI tools are interchangeable as long as they are the right configuration. You have to look at the orientation of the teeth on the shank and the locating pin to make sure the tool won't be facing the wrong way when installed on your machine's turret.

It gets more complicated with live tools because there are also different kinds of drivers, but it doesn't sound like you're looking for those.

I vaguely remember that there might be some "special" VDI holders used on some Mazaks, but I can't remember how they were different.

I have a manual lathe with a switch for chuck/collet. Switching it to chuck limits the max RPM. Dunno if that same logic applies to your machine.

Anyone know exactly what this switch does, toggles between “Chuck work” and “bar work.” This switch is inside the back of machine showing me that it was added after 1985, when our manual was published, and this switch isn’t mentioned in that manual. Our machine was made in 1989.
Is this the switch for ID chucking and OD chucking or does your machine have a different dedicated switch for that function?

The ID/OD chucking switch is on the front panel.
I believe the switch is a speed limiter for bar work. Mine has the same switch.

Back