What's new
What's new

Any suggestions on adding X/Y probe to 2012 Brother TC-S2Dn drill tap center ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Control is CNC-B00 I think...

Best bang for buck to purchase, how to install and integrate it, etc.

A Metrol is probably going to be your best bet as far as price/quality and ease of instillation. They are a big OEM supplier in Japan for limit switches, workpiece switches, and tool setters and they recently (2015) got into the spindle probe business. It's a 2.4ghz system with it's own receiver included in the kit. It's on accuracy/speed par with Renishaw, but not super fast like the Blum. It is, however, significantly less expensive than any other quality spindle probe out there ~$5000 on the list price for the whole kit.

It is also Yamazen's default for new Brother purchases. They are the US importer and they have all the necessary documentation to get one wired into a Brother with relative ease (including their own custom macros and manuals). I am sure if you buy from them, they will be happy to walk you through getting it installed on a Brother.

Where is the machine located? There is a Yamazen office in Atlanta and one in Knoxville. That is your best bet. They can offer you Renishaw, Blum or Metrol. Should be about $6k installed (Blum a little higher). Also depends on how much travel time is required.

When Yamazen asked me which probes I wanted I told them to choose the brand they are most familiar with and can support the best, and they sold me Metrol stuff, for what it's worth.

I bought a S2Dn new a few years back with the Renishaw probe package installed. It’s worked great so far but I’ve only ever used Renishaw so maybe I don’t know what I’m missing with the others.

Back