What's new
What's new

Anybody with Doosan VC430 experience?

wheelieking71

Diamond
Ever since I purchased the Brother R650 I have though: "man, I wish Brother would just build a 40 taper version of this".
I was not aware that Doosan has something with that exact form factor minus the crazy efficient Brother tool-changer.
So yea, that Doosan VC430 has peaked my interest. Anybody with solid experience in here?

VC_Series_Base_Side_bc9e4c42e52fd22ff41eda620350ec20.jpg

sweet,, I know hardinge builds a cat40 turn table machine and at one point Haas also did ,,, A local place had two of the Haas ones but the guy running the shop did not like them ,,, I just got a new DM2 and its fast as hell but I would have got a turn table machine but non sounded good ,,, I had no clue Doosan was making one ,,
have you got a price on them yet?

sweet,, I know hardinge builds a cat40 turn table machine and at one point Haas also did ,,, A local place had two of the Haas ones but the guy running the shop did not like them ,,, I just got a new DM2 and its fast as hell but I would have got a turn table machine but non sounded good ,,, I had no clue Doosan was making one ,,
have you got a price on them yet?

No price yet. My WAG would be $180k? But, I really have no clue.
There is a used one on the market (2016) for $99k. I found it on ebay by accident. That is how I discovered they exist.
Kitimura has the Sparkchanger line as well. But, I am sure they are big $$$ new. And I would be scared of used (support).
I think Okuma has a rotary pallet machine in their Millac line? If they do, I'm sure that is huge $$$!
But, I like what I see with that Doosan. Its definitely heavy enough! 17k :eek:
Not quite the capacity of my VF3ss/pallet-changer. Only gonna get 3 double-station vises per side vs. 4~5.
But, I bet it would still run circles around it. And, it has a significantly smaller, and more manageable foot print. Shop space is becoming a big problem for me.

There price might be close to a smaller horizontal .. I run 4 verticals and have been thinking about selling off three and just keeping the DM2 for tooling and some second op and going with a small 400 size horizontal, I could run a horizontal a lot more hours a day and spend a lot less time in the shop ,, its just kinda a scary jump to horizontal in that there resell is crap unless I go with a used one to start with ,,

There price might be close to a smaller horizontal .. I run 4 verticals and have been thinking about selling off three and just keeping the DM2 for tooling and some second op and going with a small 400 size horizontal, I could run a horizontal a lot more hours a day and spend a lot less time in the shop ,, its just kinda a scary jump to horizontal in that there resell is crap unless I go with a used one to start with ,,
i don't know why so many people stick to verticals. If the size of your parts fits a horizontal, they flat kick ass. And worrying about resale is like betting against yourself. Land on the beach, burn the ships !

I looked at and was quoted on the Doosan T3600D at the end of 2017, was approx 100 000 USD, the problem is it was a 5 month delivery excluding the shipping time so probably 6 months.
I purchased a Hyundai TD400, same price exactly the same layout and travels, 15000 rpm spindle instead of 12000 on the Doosan.
Also it was a Siemens control and drives which has been very good so far.
The Hyundai was ordered towards the end of December and was running in my shop in the middle of March.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I'm right there with you................

I would have to buy used if I brought in a horizontal. No way I could afford a new one.
The last thing I would need during the transition to horizontal is surprise "NMD issues".
Learning new CAM, and Machine Control is bad enough. Oh and bye the way, here is a pile of expensive needed repairs on your new (to you) machine!
No thanks! Not when you are on somebody else's schedule!
Maybe if I had the room to bring one in and keep production going as is. And, implement the horizontal in to the shop on the side?
But, I don't have the patience for that!

Last edited:
Ever since I purchased the Brother R650 I have though: "man, I wish Brother would just build a 40 taper version of this".
I was not aware that Doosan has something with that exact form factor minus the crazy efficient Brother tool-changer.
So yea, that Doosan VC430 has peaked my interest. Anybody with solid experience in here?

View attachment 277576

I'm a bit biased as I used to work for Doosan, but it's a great machine that can "mill" as good as it can drill. We had one in the showroom for a little while and it cooked pretty good. Only downside is that they don't stock a lot of them.

If anybody is curious: List is $171k. Figure 10% off that. Add for conveyor (of course), and memory (still) :rolleyes5:

As for memory, use the Fanuc Memory Card Edit option. It comes standard on all Oi controls. You only have to buy a piece of PC software to prepare the card, which costs a couple hundred dollars. Now you can have, technically, 4GB of memory where you can search, edit, start from the middle of the program, etc. Fanuc obviously doesn't advertise this option but I have tested and used this many times.

Ditto on the memory card. We use them daily. We have a DNC system to transmit programs,everything is hard wired, but most guys say the cards are faster / easier to use, even if the program is short enough to download by RS232 and store in the controllers memory. For longer programs, forget drip feeding, use the memory card option.

There talking about the PCMCIA card ,,, Well the Fanuc control has a normal USB slot you can "ONLY" up load and down load from it ,, they have some funky PCMCIA card left over from like the 1980'S you need to use to drip feed the control from ,,,

Well Fanuc controls get the job done there user interface has not changed in 30+ years ,, I found them to be VARY non user friendly back in the mid 1980`S and they have never changed ,, even something as simple as loading a program is not user friendly , its my understanding that Doosan is the worlds largest buyer of Fanuc controls and even they have started to phase them out in most country's ,, but for some reason we still get there 40 year old throw back controls here in the US.

When I started in the trade I ran a lot of machines with the old paper tape controls and line readers that would let you see like 10 characters at a time. and then came the Fanuc 6M and 6T controls with there little screens and its like technology just STOPPED on the interface side with Fanuc. By the mid 90`s every control I used was more user friendly and intuitive than Fanuc.

Even something as simple as getting the control to run of a USD slot Fanuc well just not embrace..

Running from PCMCIA cards is quick and painless. Set your Main program to use an M198 Pxxxx; where "P" is the program on the card. It works like a sub program, the machine will now hop over to the card and start running from there. You can even branch off where the card has separate programs for each tool, so if you need to mid-program restart you can just pick the line that calls that particular program off of the sub. Works like a champ and no degradation in machine performance.

Back