anybody running an Okuma MB-4000MH Horizontal?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default anybody running an Okuma MB-4000MH Horizontal?

we were in need of a horizontal to replace an aging and constantly breaking Haas HS1. Local okuma distributor got me into new MB-4000MH with 64 pot tool changer for well under $190,000 so i jumped on it.

We have 4 Okuma verticals (M560, M460 MB46) but im not to familiar with the hotizontal line. anything i should be aware of or watch out for?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why not take about 1/3 of your Salary, use it to hire someone who knows what they are talking about, or looking at. I find it hard to believe this shit. You pulled the plug on a $100k Horizontal for $180k and you are just now asking a generic question like that. Gaddamn dude it's a little late in the game isn't it? You're already $80k down.

but im not to familiar with the hotizontal line. anything i should be aware of or watch out for?
    Yep the Spindle points sideways not down.

R

3. Likes Vancbiker liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our MB-5000H is a high-speed, thermally-stable horizontal machining center in a 20K-rpm spindle and can run with an Okuma PALLETACE pallet system.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stargrit View Post
    Our MB-5000H is a high-speed, thermally-stable horizontal machining center in a 20K-rpm spindle and can run with an Okuma PALLETACE pallet system.
    I say, Chauncey ! That's certainly a lovely machine you've got ! Have you met digger doug ? he should be along in a moment ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    Why not take about 1/3 of your Salary, use it to hire someone who knows what they are talking about, or looking at. I find it hard to believe this shit. You pulled the plug on a $100k Horizontal for $180k and you are just now asking a generic question like that. Gaddamn dude it's a little late in the game isn't it? You're already $80k down.

Yep the Spindle points sideways not down.

R
    So...are you just going out of your way to be a dick or are we looking at 2 different machines? Okuma lists the 4000 for $250K...? Granted that's list and they tend to negotiate but it looks like 190 was a pretty decent deal....what am I missing?

7. Likes Ox, Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

damn some pretty retarded responses. i realize its a horizontal. i can run it no problem. just was looking for any quirks or user/maintenance tips from guys that run them. if you can get into a brand new horizontal for under $190,000 then let me know where and ill cancel my order

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Okuma will have the nasty side effect of filling up chip bins too fast, leaving behind highly reflective machined surfaces, having to reprogram proven processes to accommodate the increased rigidity. Not to mention all the time lost listening to the Haas faithful that “they can do that too”.

All seriousness, looks like you have experience with the OSP already. Horizontal won’t be much different. Probably spend some time with your apps guy to understand schedule programs, redundant tooling, in process probing if you do not already. Best application of a horizontal is making chips while loading parts. Make it so cycles and processes are predictable and autonomous after it is in front of the spindle.

10. Likes Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by XD341 View Post
    So...are you just going out of your way to be a dick or are we looking at 2 different machines? Okuma lists the 4000 for $250K...? Granted that's list and they tend to negotiate but it looks like 190 was a pretty decent deal....what am I missing?
    I don't know what you are missing.

Post Okumas list here, because I can get into a 2016 for 80k.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CNC Horizontal Machining Center | MB-4000H | Affordable Excellence

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's quite the depreciation for a 3 year old!!

But you're right, I was just being a dick to the high flutin' new guy--I'm sorry high flutin' new guy

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They are good machines. We have several of them. Only thing I don’t like is the blocks that keep the tombstone from moving. Way too thick and I always think they increase the chances of a crash into the spindle. I like the DIN method of securing a pallet much better.

Otherwise they are accurate and reliable machines. And the Okuma control is powerful and easy to learn.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The edge locators can be removed. There is a hole in the center of the pallet that can be used instead.

I have a 2011 MB4000H. So far its been a great machine. Spend a lil more and get the concep 2000 conveyor, you won't regret it. The spindle is the same in the M560V just sideways, so that should give you an idea of its capabilities.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we do not buy used equipment.

i know the mb-4000 you are refering to for 80k was missing a ton of parts and was on ebay. to get it up and going it woukd cost a lot more

OKUMA MB-4000H 4-AXIS HORIZONTAL MACHINING CENTER | eBay

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    The edge locators can be removed. There is a hole in the center of the pallet that can be used instead.

I have a 2011 MB4000H. So far its been a great machine. Spend a lil more and get the concep 2000 conveyor, you won't regret it. The spindle is the same in the M560V just sideways, so that should give you an idea of its capabilities.
    chip conveyor is coming at a later date. thisnis primarily going to be a cast iron machine.

we have a 560 a460 and (2) MB-46VA and they machine Nihard everyday and do not skip a beat so the new 4000 should last a long time

18. Likes XD341 liked this post