What's new
What's new

Is anyone auto tapping in a Prototrak?

Mud

Diamond
We want to try using a tapping head in a Prototrak bed mill with a AGE3 control. The control doesn't know the speed of the spindle so we'll have to estimate it and the feed accordingly and hope it matches. My proposal is to program conservatively on the feed with a boring cycle and adjust the spindle speed or the feed as necessary. We'd be changing tools and spindle speeds during the cycle, so it might be best to verify the spindle speed with an IR tach each time.

We've done it in the past using 2D programs and manually operating the quill. We'd like to power drill the hole operations using 3D, but trying to do that then manually operating the quill for the tapping head causes the control to error out as soon as the quill is moved - that's why we want to try powering the tapping head in and out. The tapping head is a CNC model with equal in and out speeds.

Or is there a way to interrupt a 3D program and manually tap each hole?

Anyone here done this already? Have any tips?

Yes I can. If I don't care how long it all takes. But we do.
We normally do this in a VMC but all the machines are busy and we're making do this way, so it's already way slower than normal, and don't want to make it slower and provide the operator with more opportunities to make mistakes. For example, changing from 3D to 2D programs requires restarting the control.
I normally don't deal with the Prototrak, and we normally don't run complex parts on it, so it's easy to believe that I'm missing something major, but changing parts in the fixtures more than necessary and changing programs isn't desirable.

What I ran into was the tapping head needs to be retracted at twice the rate of the feed and I don't think you can do that with the control. If you programmed it off line and ran it as a CAM program you might get away with it I just don't think the AGE 3 can do it but I most certainly could be wrong. It is a pain to have to go into AGE 2 and use the machine for the positions I agree because you start from scratch each time with setting up the tools. This is why I bought a VMC or at least one reason. I still use the Trak for some things but tapping is not one of them. Please share if you get it to work. I have a Procunier tapping head I don't use any more.

I have tapped on my mill which does not have a spindle encoder. I will only do through holes, no blind ones. I used the tension-only tap holder that I use on the CNC lathe. I checked the spindle speed with a tach. to figure out the needed feed rates. Made sure and tapped at a slower feed than the pitch. The reverse feed matched the pitch.

The deeper the hole, the trickier the operation becomes. I was tapping 1/4-20 at about 450 rpm (I did not want to switch the back-gear in and out) in mild steel. I ran a dwell after the forward spindle stop and then again after the reverse to match the spindle speed ramp up. There is around an inch or so travel in the tap holder. I used most of it, but it ran consistently. I tapped test holes in Delrin to prove that part of the program. There are a fair number of revolutions in the starting/reversing of the spindle.

The job ran fine, about 125 holes. I was tapping 5/8" deep.

Bill

Back