What's new
What's new

anyone ever swaped a haas vf rotary union?

lowCountryCamo

Stainless
The tc was pouring out the overflow hose behind the spindle. I believe the rotary union might be the cause. We ordered another. Not sure how it comes apart. Anyone ever down this?

Thanks
Steve Ahaas vf rotary union.jpg

What machine and year is that? That is a completely different setup than my '07 VF-2ss.

Also, is that a pressure regulator just dangling in mid air???

Hey Steve,

Yes I've done this a couple times, its pretty straight forward. Need a 7/8" and 15/16" wrench to remove the union from spindle (LeftHand Threads) if your mill is an SS use 13/16" wrench, unhook coolant hose inlet hose and electrical connection. Word of advice if you plan on running your mill until the new union arrives unhook it NOW. The union can seize up and whip the coolant inlet hose around destroying everything inside the cabinet.

Also if you go to the HAAS website click on resources there is a tab that says "Work on your HAAS", you should be able to find the instructions in a PDF format I believe.

Word of advice if you plan on running your mill until the new union arrives unhook it NOW. The union can seize up and whip the coolant inlet hose around destroying everything inside the cabinet.
Solid advise. I seized one up once. It ripped the thread out of the fucking spindle motor shaft. Cost $5,000 or so.

I'm not familiar with what Haas use, but on the deublin couplings with ceramic seals coolant floods out of the overflow when the pump/piping is blocked or restricted and not developing enough pressure to compress the seals in the coupling.

Just something else to check in case there is nothing wrong with your coupling.

So changing this out was easy. I learned that this part is an improved tc system upgrade. We had it upgraded a few years ago, before I was here. Along with the upgraded hardware 3 parameters need to be set. A week ago the battery in this machine died. We have been running none stop without shutting down. I believe the battery alarm only comes up on power up. Anyway I did not see the alarm. So after shutting down it was dead. HFO came and changed battery, initialized the control, but did not reset these 3 parms. I read of the params in the hardware docs. Reset and the machine is back up! Thanks for your help!

Steve A

Back