What's new
What's new

Anyone familiar with machining these types of parts?

colby2000

Plastic
Hello everyone,
Looking for anyone who is familiar with these types of parts. My main question is how are the forming the ball seats?
Thanks

1PIC.jpg

2PIC.jpg

Yeah, the print is terribly small but I found the lapping/coining comment.

I've got experience making similar parts, although the ball was a fair bit bigger (I think it was 1/4 or 5/16 ball)

The seats were about 2" deep inside a 1.25" or so hole. The print had a 118 drill point down to the seat area, which was specified at 60* included.

I whirlyground the drill point so I was certain to hit the 118* angle with the 1" drill (seems our drill sharpener can't be trusted to make a true 118*), then we drilled the thru hole, then I came back with a carbide centerdrill and used it as an angled endmill to interpolate the seat (plunging it caused chatter). I'm sure I tried several different tools, tried the centerdrill before drilling through, etc. We also bought some center laps to try. But this is what worked best.

We then dropped a ball in, pinged it with a custom punch with a ball bearing underneath, and inspected it for gouges/chatter/etc with a bore scope.

Our parts were made from 1045, wasn't HT or anything. Terrible material, terrible job. Ground all over. Was a major pain in the ass. the ball seats were probably the easiest part though. There were 2 of those seats per part.

Your part is a lot shallower (L/D ratio) than the part I was running, and you've got a lathe job there rather than my mill job. Hopefully your material is better too. Just get that angle looking really pretty and hit it with a ball to make it prettier. 16 micro isn't that bad. Will you have to actually test the pressure?

Back