What's new
What's new

fryer IO card CAN bus problems

dibloff

Plastic
Hey folks.
I’m new to cnc, although I’ve been 3D printing for 7 years now. I built my 3D printer and 150 more.
I recently bought a fryer mini mill. Really nice machine. Flat screen (not 80’ tech), win 386, 10 position tool changer, coolant, enclosed etc. The whole shebang. Took me a whole year to get a phase converter, set it up, plumb air lines in my workshop, and get the thing started up. I replaced air lines, push to connect fitting, because it was leaking everywhere. Some of the features did not work, like the tool magazine motor, the boost cylinder etc. While poking around in the cabinet I found that some of the wire connectors are loose. Once I connected it back everything worked as it should.
Wanted to prevent it happening again. Fryer used multiple IO cards with CAN bus connection to hook up enough IO cards. There is a female header surface mounted on the pcb. Then they insert a male-male connector, then plug in the cable with wires. The thing is a rat-trap. I designed and 3D printed connectors, took a bunch of pictures, drew schematics, marked mating parts, disassembled it and assembled the brackets, put everything together, and now it’s not working again. Wanted to make it more bullet proof and screwed it up. All the peripherals that does not work seem to be on the same IO card. Found out that the IO cards have 2 areas with jumpers. Some of the jumpers are populated, some of them are just “parked”.
Computer starts normally. There are no error messages of any kind when the machine starts up or when it’s running. If I press the “tool-cw”, “tool-ccw”, “light” or tool release buttons, any of the end switches on the boost cylinder or on the tool changer cylinder the led’s will come on on the IO boards input side. Some of the IO boards will flash the output LED’s too.
I’ve got the 3D models for the brackets if someone wants to use them (tear up their cnc 😊 )
Any advice is appreciated on how to troubleshoot this. Thank you.

IMG_3009.jpg

SIDE_compare.jpg

top_compare.jpg

bottom_compare.jpg

Back