What's new
What's new

Anyone using Centroid retrofit controls in a production shop?

ChipSplitter

Titanium
Several years ago I used to run an old Centroid-controlled toolroom mill for prototyping and low qty. runs.

I almost forgot about them until I stumbled across their website: CENTROID CNC controls,CNC Controller, CNC Retrofits,CNC Milling Machines,CNC Lathes,CNC Routers,5 Axis CNC Cylinder Head Porting Machines,CNC Rotary Tables,Fanuc Retrofits,Digitizing Probes,Conversational Programming

Now I'm drooling again........:D They were by far the best conversational control I've ever used, not at all like Haas, Siemens, or Anilam.

Example: they have a "Tool Check" button that stops the program, returns Z to home, and allows you to inspect the tool or change inserts all without losing your spot in the program (press Cycle Start to return). Also the graphics are light years ahead of Haas (uses a USB mouse to rotate and zoom the toolpath simulation in 3D).

Their website says they can do quick retrofits even on old defunct Haas or Fanuc machines (read: unsupported control versions).

Has anyone done this? How does it compare to the original control?

Can't speak about production with them, but I used one a few years ago on a bridgeport boss machine. You are right, the graphics are top notch!

My WAG is alot of it (the control) wouldn't be utilized in a production shop, my thought being the programs would be done in a cam system. You would load program, run verify/simulation then run. The bells and whistles of the conversation might go mostly unused?

The one I used had a tool probe and it worked very well, but not sure if you could do diameters with it, or just length.

Several years ago I used to run an old Centroid-controlled toolroom mill for prototyping and low qty. runs.

I almost forgot about them until I stumbled across their website: CENTROID CNC controls,CNC Controller, CNC Retrofits,CNC Milling Machines,CNC Lathes,CNC Routers,5 Axis CNC Cylinder Head Porting Machines,CNC Rotary Tables,Fanuc Retrofits,Digitizing Probes,Conversational Programming

Now I'm drooling again........:D They were by far the best conversational control I've ever used, not at all like Haas, Siemens, or Anilam.

Example: they have a "Tool Check" button that stops the program, returns Z to home, and allows you to inspect the tool or change inserts all without losing your spot in the program (press Cycle Start to return). Also the graphics are light years ahead of Haas (uses a USB mouse to rotate and zoom the toolpath simulation in 3D).

Their website says they can do quick retrofits even on old defunct Haas or Fanuc machines (read: unsupported control versions).

Has anyone done this? How does it compare to the original control?
I have a retrofit on a tree vmc750 that had a Siemens 2100 control. They are by far the easiest and capable conversational control I have used. Any add ons you need are not stupidly expensive. Most are $300 for probing etc.

The guy you want to talk to is Bill Meyers think he is out of PA. I have his number if you need it. The other guy I think his name is mark at cnc northwest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a retrofit on a tree vmc750 that had a Siemens 2100 control. They are by far the easiest and capable conversational control I have used. Any add ons you need are not stupidly expensive. Most are $300 for probing etc.

The guy you want to talk to is Bill Meyers think he is out of PA. I have his number if you need it. The other guy I think his name is mark at cnc northwest.

Bill Meyers Is the BEST! I put a Centroid M400 on my Bridgeport V2xT and he commissioned it and got me going on it. About 2010 or so? If I have a question or need help with anything he is right there. No charge to help over the phone and he always has the answer! He just answered a question 2 weeks ago!

I have an old 1992 Milltronics Partner 4 and retrofitted it with Centroid's All in One DC Servo system about 18 months ago. Really easy to integrate, started on a Friday and was cutting parts on Tuesday, of course I had an experienced guy doing the retrofit.

Control is very nice to use, being able to USB or connect to my network to download programs is lightyears ahead of the old RS232 communications and limited memory issues. I honestly don't use the Intercon (conversational) programming feature as I CAM most of my programs and run repeat jobs a lot.

I can highly recommend the reliability and ease of use. I do have a length probe for setting tool length and that's a real nice feature also. They have recently come out with a reasonably priced part probe also, so if you want that feature it is available.

I have an old 1992 Milltronics Partner 4 and retrofitted it with Centroid's All in One DC Servo system about 18 months ago. Really easy to integrate, started on a Friday and was cutting parts on Tuesday, of course I had an experienced guy doing the retrofit.

Control is very nice to use, being able to USB or connect to my network to download programs is lightyears ahead of the old RS232 communications and limited memory issues. I honestly don't use the Intercon (conversational) programming feature as I CAM most of my programs and run repeat jobs a lot.

I can highly recommend the reliability and ease of use. I do have a length probe for setting tool length and that's a real nice feature also. They have recently come out with a reasonably priced part probe also, so if you want that feature it is available.
I would like to see some pictures of the retrofit when you get a chance.

I had a Bridgeport Boss converted about 20 years ago
and had it upgraded about 5 years ago.Its been running
ever since.
The Boss was also converted to an AC direct spindle drive.
The old floppy variable spindle drive was a pia and noisy.

About 2 years ago I had a Howa 12" chuck Lathe converted to a Centroid and it's
been a great machine.
Some people thought that I was nuts for spending 20K on a 5K machine but
even though it's 40 years old it's in great shape. It's got hard ways that show
no wear at all. Yes it is slow compared to today's machines but it takes
care of what I need to run.

Pictures requested

Here are some pictures. Realize that I work from a wheelchair, so the control panel has been mounted extra low for my needs. Sorry about the rotated ones, not sure why they did that as they show right on my computer.

IMG_3315.jpgIMG_3329.jpgIMG_3332.jpgIMG_3366.jpg

I just converted a nice Standard brand CNC router about 2 months ago using the All in one DC unit for DC servos, with the servo drives built in. Very easy, great support from their sponsored forum. I did the whole thing myself and the hardest part was making up DB9 cables from the encoders (that I could have bought premade from them but I'm cheap.) check Marty's CNC garage on youtube, he does videos of all the installation detail. I'm going to play around with a toolsetter and probe I'm printing at some point but don't have time at the moment. There are some short clips of the first cuts I made here somewhere: Login • Instagram

Back