Anyone using chip fans?
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Valencia, CA, USA
    Posts
    391
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    59

    Default Anyone using chip fans?

    Big Kaiser has them (expensive):

    Chip Fan | BIG KAISER

    And there are others, going down to so cheap they must be dangerous:

    Error 400 (Bad Request)!!1

    https://www.redlinetools.com/itemdet...xoCRwMQAvD_BwE

    ...and a video:



    I have RC airplanes with folding carbon fiber propellers as large in diameter as 14 inches. They move a ton of air and can handle the RPM's just fine. However, they are not struck by chips in flight, which could happen to these CNC versions I suppose. That's where the $40 version becomes scary.

    Maybe they save time and mess? you do lose one slot in the tool changer.

    Any thoughts? Worth it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    395
    Likes (Received)
    639

    Default

    Yes, absolutely worth it! We have a 14" Big Kaiser with the fold out wings.
    Make sure you speed up the spindle in steps and not just jerk it wide open.
    It does a good job of moving chips and coolant. It also alerts the operator when the cycle is done.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Near Seattle
    Posts
    4,951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3404
    Likes (Received)
    1418

    Default

    does this work better than the various air blast options machines have?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    poulsbo, wa, usa
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    72
    Likes (Received)
    441

    Default

    I use a redline one every day and like it ,,, I run it at 6k and stay about 6" over the fixtures ,,, it does not a great job of blocking of the parts and the work area ,, but does not get the coolant out of the small holes in the part ,, but I just pick the parts and put them in a bucket of water to get the holes cleaned out and blow the few chips that are left on the fixture and reload it ….

    three tricks to using them

    write a custom program and just call it up and write it so it turns the fan on right after the tool change line and turns it off " only at your z home"

    if you turn off the spindle and your down by your parts it well try and close the blades and they well contact your parts ( I don`t want to talk about it)

    And you must have a mists collector ,,

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Valencia, CA, USA
    Posts
    391
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    And you must have a mists collector ,,
    Ah. Seriously? It aerosolizes things to that extent?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    692
    Likes (Received)
    1043

    Default

    Yep, Use them all the time. Typically I just have a sub that runs a clean cycle. Just make sure you comp for a 4th axis if it's on the table. They don't mingle together very well.

  7. Likes Hardplates liked this post
  8. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    4,749
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    518
    Likes (Received)
    1105

    Default

    Go to the hobby store.
    Buy a model airplane propeller, just a few bucks. Under $10.
    Make a spindle/mount for it... 5-10 minutes with the lathe.

    Orient the blades so it fits in the tool changer.
    The blades can be 90 degrees to adjacent pockets.

    The blades do NOT have to fold to fit in the tool changer!

    Works GREAT.

    You're Welcome.

  9. Likes CosmosK, Bobw liked this post
  10. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    poulsbo, wa, usa
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    72
    Likes (Received)
    441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martin_05 View Post
    Ah. Seriously? It aerosolizes things to that extent?
    even at just 6K they blow the coolant EVERY WEAR ,, but as long as you program it not to go close to the limits in Y axis it does not seem to blast chips and crap up under the table ,,, The redline is rated at 5K to 8K but I tried the 8K ONCE ,, it blow chips out the tool changer hole on the VF2 ,,, about 6K and a good 6 to 8" off the part seem to be about right ,,,

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    6,242
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7928
    Likes (Received)
    7989

    Default

    Also keep in mind that the BK "billet" fan will generally need 3 pockets because of its diameter. This is machine specific.
    It worked in my Brother only needing one pocket. But, in a haas, it needs three.
    It would appear most typical side-mount tool changers would also require it to be marked as a large tool.
    I have one BK, and it lives in the only mill I have with a 40 tool changer. I can afford the two extra pockets there. In the 24's I can not.
    I prefer the LANG fan over the BK, for this reason (the LANG only needs one pocket). And, it just seems to work better.
    As of last Friday I now have a fan in every mill.

  12. Likes Job Shopper TN, Nerdlinger liked this post
  13. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    poulsbo, wa, usa
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    72
    Likes (Received)
    441

    Default

    Redline fan only uses one pocket on my 24 and 30 pocket haas mills,,, I think I payed right about $169 for them but it might have been a end of the year sale ,, I make up a wish list and buy a lot of crap at the end of every year ,,

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martin_05 View Post
    Any thoughts? Worth it?
    I have a Lang chip fan in pot 20 on my Speedio.

    I really like it. Being able to blow parts clean without having to reach into the machine with an air gun is great, and I don't get chips in my face and hair this way.

    In general it works great on aluminum/steel chips and coolant. 6000 RPM at ~4" off the parts seems to be pretty good. Rather than program, I usually just put the mill in handle mode and use the MPG to blow the table clean after the chip wash finishes.

    I spent most of the weekend cutting Delrin, though. The chip fan did clear off the parts... but it also turned the inside of the mill into a coolant and plastic soaked mess. The Delrin chips were so light that they just blew everywhere and stuck to everything.

  15. #12
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    395
    Likes (Received)
    639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Also keep in mind that the BK "billet" fan will generally need 3 pockets because of its diameter. This is machine specific.
    It worked in my Brother only needing one pocket. But, in a haas, it needs three.
    It would appear most typical side-mount tool changers would also require it to be marked as a large tool.
    I have one BK, and it lives in the only mill I have with a 40 tool changer. I can afford the two extra pockets there. In the 24's I can not.
    I prefer the LANG fan over the BK, for this reason (the LANG only needs one pocket). And, it just seems to work better.
    As of last Friday I now have a fan in every mill.
    I have tried the "billet" fan too, and wasn't impressed. RC airplane props fall into the same category......
    The flip-out blade BK fan uses about 25% spindle load in a Haas and it does a VERY good job in a few seconds.
    I use a short program based off G53 locations and then call it in another program using M98 Pxxxxx.

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Valencia, CA, USA
    Posts
    391
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3t3d View Post
    Buy a model airplane propeller
    I have lots of props, form 7 to 14+ in. I've been building and flying model airplanes for 30+ years.

    Most of my glider props are Aeronaut carbon fiber folding props. They can easily handle 10,000 RPM and produce a massive amount of thrust in the larger sizes. I'm very tempted to give it a shot. Since I have an umbrella tool changer on my machine, it's even easier.

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Valencia, CA, USA
    Posts
    391
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    RC airplane props fall into the same category
    What I'll all "conventional" RC plane props are not going to work for this at all. What's needed are the highly optimized folding props designed for electric powered gliders. This is what they look like:

    Aeronaut 2-Blade Black Spinners for Folding Propellers

    Also, the blades in these chip blowers are not optimized aerodynamically. They are really bad designs from that perspective actually. Think about the difference in radial velocity as you move away from center. You need a variable angle of attack, with the tip at zero or nearly zero. Most of the air will be moved by the inner 50% of the rotor. The only reason they are using-up 25% load on a VF2 is bad aero design. I am very tempted to put one of my aeronaut folders on my machine to see how it does and how much less power it consumes.

    That said, the only concern I would have would be impact by chips. I think it's unlikely. That said, these props will take some abuse (I can attest to that from flying them).

  18. #15
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    395
    Likes (Received)
    639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martin_05 View Post
    What I'll all "conventional" RC plane props are not going to work for this at all. What's needed are the highly optimized folding props designed for electric powered gliders. This is what they look like:

    Aeronaut 2-Blade Black Spinners for Folding Propellers

    Also, the blades in these chip blowers are not optimized aerodynamically. They are really bad designs from that perspective actually. Think about the difference in radial velocity as you move away from center. You need a variable angle of attack, with the tip at zero or nearly zero. Most of the air will be moved by the inner 50% of the rotor. The only reason they are using-up 25% load on a VF2 is bad aero design. I am very tempted to put one of my aeronaut folders on my machine to see how it does and how much less power it consumes.

    That said, the only concern I would have would be impact by chips. I think it's unlikely. That said, these props will take some abuse (I can attest to that from flying them).
    Oh, the chips will hit them, don't worry.

    I am curious how the props work, though.

  19. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    861
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    14
    Likes (Received)
    76

    Default

    I have a Lang, and I have a sub that I've assigned an M-code to (M50 in this case) I use a different work offset just for the fan, with X and Y zeroed out, and Z 6" above any fixturing. It covers the whole table. We don't use it unless the chips collected in a single cycle impede placement of the next part. We'll also run it at the end of a run, when we want to clean up the whole table.

  20. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cape Cod, Ma
    Posts
    474
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    210
    Likes (Received)
    108

    Default

    I have the Redline Turbo . Its been awesome for parts that end up with lakes in them. A side benefit is if I'm working at another machine I can hear the chip fan come on as an end of cycle alert.

  21. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
  22. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    poulsbo, wa, usa
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    72
    Likes (Received)
    441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martin_05 View Post
    I have lots of props, form 7 to 14+ in. I've been building and flying model airplanes for 30+ years.

    Most of my glider props are Aeronaut carbon fiber folding props. They can easily handle 10,000 RPM and produce a massive amount of thrust in the larger sizes. I'm very tempted to give it a shot. Since I have an umbrella tool changer on my machine, it's even easier.
    You well need a second fan to clean all the chips out of the umbrella tool changer …

  23. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Valencia, CA, USA
    Posts
    391
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    You well need a second fan to clean all the chips out of the umbrella tool changer …
    Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Makes sense. I guess this isn't a solution for me then.

    That could have been ugly.

  24. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    3,320
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1961
    Likes (Received)
    838

    Default

    No I have not, but I just bought the Redline fan, after reading the comments above.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •