Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    You well need a second fan to clean all the chips out of the umbrella tool changer …
    Not exaaaaactly.......

On the newer Haas machines they have a door that closes the access point as well as a little slide gate that closes off the tool pocket.

You do get a few chips in there but not nearly as many as you would think.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll echo Wheelieking here, I've used both the fold-out fans and solid aluminum turbine-lookin' things. While the solid fan is quieter and doesn't need to be spun up in increments, it just plain doesn't work as well. Plus, as said, it either takes up multiple pockets or you have to be very specific what tools can go adjacent.

The plastic fold-out fans also have a drawback though, eventually chips eat the blades all to pieces. Especially if you run steel. The aluminum fan will probably last forever, but doesn't work near as well. I believe we were using one made by Lang. Perhaps other companies offer replacement blade kits, but Lang does/did not.

They're definitely worth it on production runs. Some people find it silly but it's all for making time as consistent as possible. Billy might blow the machine off in 10 seconds but leave chips everywhere, Matt might take 8 minutes and make it overly spotless... the chip fan is an equalizer, I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After reading this thread and watching a couple Youtube vids I decided to make my own fan. I called a local computer recycling center and ended up buying a couple of 3" fans. ($2.14 including sales tax) One was metal, the other plastic. The metal one looked easier to work with so I made an arbor for it. It was too late in the day to try it out, I'll write some code tonight and tomorrow I will give it a spin (pun intended). We are running a job that turns 87% of a piece of 6061 measuring 3" x 3/4" x 14.75" into chips. Have to stop the program 5 times to blow off chips. I could cut out four of those stops, one stop requires adding some clamps but the other are just to clear off the chips before finishing cuts.

I'll post pictures/vids here if it works at all.

4. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I tried it. Not even going to post pictures because it didn't work. A 3" stamped metal fan at 5k rpm just doesn't move enough air to be effective. But I like the idea and will probably buy a commercial unit.

6. Likes bryan_machine, Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    Well I tried it. Not even going to post pictures because it didn't work. A 3" stamped metal fan at 5k rpm just doesn't move enough air to be effective. But I like the idea and will probably buy a commercial unit.
    I tried a Ø4" fan (a scrapped part) at 8300 rpm. Not near enough balls.
    Hoping the redline fan will keep me from too much coolant in the face, when blowing off the table.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by doug925 View Post
    Hoping the redline fan will keep me from too much coolant in the face, when blowing off the table.
    What about the whistling from blowing over holes..??

9. Likes doug925 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    What about the whistling from blowing over holes..??

My table plate is FULL of 1/2-13 tapped/ reamed holes, with set screws in place.
    Every time the table gets blown off, the whistling is awful.

Probably the smae amount of noise, but hopefully without the blast of coolant to the face, first thing in the AM.

11. Likes ChipSplitter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use a 330mm lang on my EC400. Works good.

For those using fans on your verticals with sidemounts, I'd be careful not to rev them so high as to get chips up there.

On my VF11/50, we don't use any fans, but somehow chips occasionally get tossed up into the toolchanger area, and land in empty tool pots... Then these chips end up in the spindle. The spindle taper is all dented to hell from squashing chips on the tool tapers. I can imagine a fan would make this exponentially worse. Although the opening in the enclosure there is much bigger on the 50's.

Maybe not a problem on the smaller machines with smaller opening? Never tried a fan on my smaller vertials though.