What's new
What's new

Anyone using Onsrud endmills for milling steel?

Mud

Diamond
A good rep recommended Onsrud solid carbide endmills for a steel job here because of how they have worked to solve a SS problem job for him. I only know Onsrud for routing tools. The story I got is that Onsrud was making proprietary tooling for Boeing, then Boeing cut way back on in house use, so Onsrud decided to go to market with what they had designed for Boeing.

Anyone here have any experience with their metalcutting tools?

I just saw their ad in the latest MMS and was wondering similarly but knowing how proud they are of their router tooling figured I could get something comparable for considerably less somewhere else.

FWIW I've been quoted $34.97 for 3/8" x 1/2 LOC .015R 4 flute MaxQ (?) coated (TicN I think, or similar), and $15.51 for 1/4 X 3/8 LOC 6 flute finisher. Recommended starting speeds in 1018 are 5100 RPM X 70 IPM for the 3/8 for roughing and 9200RPM X 110ipm for the 1/4 finisher.

Their website is real sketchy on PNs data and information, I'm supposed to be getting a catalog with more info in it.

I have a customer with plants around the US. I deal with the local one quite a bit and sell them a lot of Gorilla Mill. Long story short they have a new project they will be running in Ohio but they proved it out in Massachusetts. I spec'd a variety of tools including some Gorilla Mills. The company's engineer in Massachusetts like Helical and were persuaded by their local guy to try LMT Onsrud endmills too.

So the tools all go head to head. LMT couldn't run the speeds & feeds dictated by my suggestion of the speed the Gorillas run. So they immediately lost. The Helical could run them but ultimately got much less life than the Gorilla Mill in the roughing stage.

In finishing the Helical did a little better than the Gorilla Mill in terms of surface finish and tool life was the same. The Onsrud also couldn't run the speed that the other tools ran.

I don't actually know if it was a fair fight for the finisher in terms of equal amount of flutes etc for the Onsrud.

Long story short the Gorilla Mill blew the Onsrud out of the Water.

The one thing I will say is it is Gorilla Mills new series that came out at IMTS the Yeti. It can literally ran twice as fast as the older version of the Gorilla Mill which was no slouch.

Back