What's new
What's new

the art of going fast: Brother Speedio vs Doosan SVM

PrisaPrisa

Plastic
Hey all, I’ve got a project that’s finally grown big enough to merit its own machine, making bulk small parts in aluminum, plastic, sometimes wood.

Long story short, I need to go FAST. Mostly for fun, I’ll admit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the tried-and-true-and-fast Brother Speedio versus the new Doosan SVM4100? Thanks!

Last edited:
From the promo videos and specs it doesn't look like the Doosan comes close to Brother speed. And only 12k rpm.

Hey all, I’ve got a project that’s finally grown big enough to merit its own machine, making bulk small parts in aluminum, plastic, sometimes wood.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the tried-and-true-and-fast Brother Speedio versus the new Doosan SVM4100? Thanks!

If you want fast and you want to have fun, Brother. I am biased but I am sure there are plenty of owners/users here that would agree. Also, you hit it with tried and true. Over 200,000 installations. Brother has been at the fast thing for over 35 years. They only build 30 taper, fast, vertical, compact machining centers engineered from the ground up to perform and they strive to make the best possible. They also use these machines to make parts for their other successful product lines, sewing/embroidery machines, printers, gearmotors and reducers...

The editing for the SVM4100 promo videos is annoying. They are constantly going into slomo to show chips flying, or speeding it up. It may be an awesome machine, but you can't tell anything by watching those. Those crummy Brother videos at least stay the same play speed all the way through; you can tell they aren't moving fast on the big face mill, then rip through the drill/tap cycles and small milling features.

If your parts can benefit from the Big Plus Cat 40 (as in long stick out tools, or hogging with big insert mills) then maybe the Doosan has a chance. But from your description ("making bulk small parts in aluminum, plastic, sometimes wood") Brother will be tough to beat.

The editing for the SVM4100 promo videos is annoying. They are constantly going into slomo to show chips flying, or speeding it up. It may be an awesome machine, but you can't tell anything by watching those.

Oh tell me about it... drives me nuts!

The way I see it, market your stuff as-is because that’s how people are gonna buy it, crummy video quality or otherwise.

Definitely leaning towards the Brother – that 27k spindle is calling my name – though I’ve had a tough time getting a response from both Ellison and Yamazen reps (or maybe I’m excited and impatient, time will tell).

Are you looking into automation systems to feed the machine to keep it cutting? I'm always blown away by how quick the cycle time is on some parts, then quickly notice how much time I spend swapping out parts for fresh stock. Given that I make 10s to 100s at a time and I get frustrated with loading time, with bulk quantities, you may pay off a robot quickly.

Are you looking into automation systems to feed the machine to keep it cutting? I'm always blown away by how quick the cycle time is on some parts, then quickly notice how much time I spend swapping out parts for fresh stock. Given that I make 10s to 100s at a time and I get frustrated with loading time, with bulk quantities, you may pay off a robot quickly.

Yes and no, I'd love to work with robotics in the future but as of right now I'm a uni student with a niche product and limited funds. If I manage to get some job shop work in the door (no clue how to put myself out there...), a robot will be high up on the priority list.

If you want to go fast, there is only one choice:

Speedio G01 Feed Transitions - YouTube

No freaking way... my part happens to have some 200+ linking moves, this will work wonders. Thanks!!

A lot of this stuff cracks me up because I bet nine times out of ten, OP will get his per-part time down to .37 seconds, then three boxes of parts will sit by the door for two days waiting for UPS to get them, or someone to deburr the parts, or whatever.

Total throughput counts more than part time and it's generally a hell of a lot cheaper.

Speedio G01 Feed Transitions - YouTube

Look at the severe position error on those holes at the end. You can even see the drill flexing like crazy when it's running.

I guess that using tangent arc transitions in this manner requires a bit more Z clearance than linear rapids because of corner rounding.

Or maybe it's just programmed badly ;)

A lot of this stuff cracks me up because I bet nine times out of ten, OP will get his per-part time down to .37 seconds, then three boxes of parts will sit by the door for two days waiting for UPS to get them, or someone to deburr the parts, or whatever.

Total throughput counts more than part time and it's generally a hell of a lot cheaper.

What?

Invoice goes out when the parts are finished, and the next job goes in the machine. If the boxes pile up at the door that's a different problem.

Look at the severe position error on those holes at the end. You can even see the drill flexing like crazy when it's running.

I guess that using tangent arc transitions in this manner requires a bit more Z clearance than linear rapids because of corner rounding.

Or maybe it's just programmed badly ;)

Wait, this was about being fast... Nobody said anything about accuracy!

The positional accuracy of these holes are bad, but not as bad as it looks in the video because of the burrs. In reality, we're talking +/- 0.005". Would I use this to do the air bleed holes on a turbine blade? No.

The application I am developing for is a customer who needs to add a grippy dimpled texture to a product. The original plan was to laser this texture in, but the laser time is way longer than originally expected, and the heat effected zone is making it impossible to anodize. If we can do the grip texture in-cycle, there is a huge cost savings to be had. +/- 0.005" is sloppy, but has a value in the low 6 figures annually. So this works, but we need to get the custom drills in to see what the finished product is like.

If I lift the clearance plane, I get most of the accuracy back at the cost of abut 2 seconds. If I turn on High Accuracy, I get to G00 transition accuracy, at a hit of about 12 seconds. G00 moves are so accurate because each G00 line (or transition to/from G00) has an exact stop check. On a hole transition, that is 4 exact stops, of which only 1 the move to the XY position) is really necessary. If it futz with my post, I'm thinking to throw a G09 on the same line where I change the feed rate from F800 to F50.

The reason the Speedio is so amazing for this kind of work, is that I have the flexibility to throw all these tricks at it. Not a Haas or a DMG or even a Robodrill has the flexibility to do the things a Speedio does to let me balance speed and accuracy as I need. Here is one interesting example:

On the Fly Accuracy - YouTube

In this video, we have a simple square with arc corners. The far corners are being machined with roughing level accuracy, the near corners have high-finish accuracy accel applied. I don't know of any other control in the world that lets you do a trick like that on a cut contour without having to stop all motion to reset the look ahed pipeline.

Wait, this was about being fast... Nobody said anything about accuracy!

The positional accuracy of these holes are bad, but not as bad as it looks in the video because of the burrs. In reality, we're talking +/- 0.005". Would I use this to do the air bleed holes on a turbine blade? No.

The application I am developing for is a customer who needs to add a grippy dimpled texture to a product. The original plan was to laser this texture in, but the laser time is way longer than originally expected, and the heat effected zone is making it impossible to anodize. If we can do the grip texture in-cycle, there is a huge cost savings to be had. +/- 0.005" is sloppy, but has a value in the low 6 figures annually. So this works, but we need to get the custom drills in to see what the finished product is like.

If I lift the clearance plane, I get most of the accuracy back at the cost of abut 2 seconds. If I turn on High Accuracy, I get to G00 transition accuracy, at a hit of about 12 seconds. G00 moves are so accurate because each G00 line (or transition to/from G00) has an exact stop check. On a hole transition, that is 4 exact stops, of which only 1 the move to the XY position) is really necessary. If it futz with my post, I'm thinking to throw a G09 on the same line where I change the feed rate from F800 to F50.

The reason the Speedio is so amazing for this kind of work, is that I have the flexibility to throw all these tricks at it. Not a Haas or a DMG or even a Robodrill has the flexibility to do the things a Speedio does to let me balance speed and accuracy as I need. Here is one interesting example:

On the Fly Accuracy - YouTube

In this video, we have a simple square with arc corners. The far corners are being machined with roughing level accuracy, the near corners have high-finish accuracy accel applied. I don't know of any other control in the world that lets you do a trick like that on a cut contour without having to stop all motion to reset the look ahed pipeline.

Let's be honest, you probably aren't putting air bleed holes in a turbine blade in a vmc...:)

I'd say the Brother is the better of the two. The Doosan SVM looks like it's some kind of "answer" to the Brother, but it forgot what the question was...
It's a little short on RPM, and its speeds and cutting ability are not up to Speedio's as well. It does have a 50hp spindle motor - according to the ad copy - but I would think that it could use more processing capability. That said, I'd wait to get my hands on one before passing it off, but it sure looks like the Brother is a tough act to follow for those specs.

Oh tell me about it... drives me nuts!

The way I see it, market your stuff as-is because that’s how people are gonna buy it, crummy video quality or otherwise.

Definitely leaning towards the Brother – that 27k spindle is calling my name – though I’ve had a tough time getting a response from both Ellison and Yamazen reps (or maybe I’m excited and impatient, time will tell).

Message brother frank and ask if he can get a salesman in contact with you quickly. I’m sure he could.

Have cash in hand and you could probably have the machine in a couple weeks. We had ours in 3 days from purchasing running in 6 days from first messaging brother frank.

The 27k spindle has been great so far. I hear it does not like to be crashed though so be gentle. One downside to the 27k spindle is it does not have dual contact or through spindle coolant available.

The 27k spindle has been great so far. I hear it does not like to be crashed though so be gentle. One downside to the 27k spindle is it does not have dual contact or through spindle coolant available.

Ah, didn't know Big Plus wasn't an option on the 27k... depending on the price for the 27k I might opt for the standard spindle and use TSA to power a turbine tool, any thoughts on that?

Message brother frank and ask if he can get a salesman in contact with you quickly. I’m sure he could.

Have cash in hand and you could probably have the machine in a couple weeks. We had ours in 3 days from purchasing running in 6 days from first messaging brother frank.

You beat me to it Ian! Anyone can message me anytime and I will be happy to assist any way I can. A couple of things about 27K spindles (one of my favorites), Big Plus is available and they are more rugged than you would think. Out of the 30 plus that I have installed out here, only one has had the spindle replaced and none have Big Plus. One of my clients runs his 5 particularly hard. He has robots loading them about 140 hours a week and he has a 5/8 end mill ripping aluminum off. The one spindle that got replaced was at another shop that had a misloaded part and a 2.5" facemill got in a fight with it....

Ah, didn't know Big Plus wasn't an option on the 27k... depending on the price for the 27k I might opt for the standard spindle and use TSA to power a turbine tool, any thoughts on that?

Talk to the salesman first I may be wrong on the big plus. But I asked as we wanted that option and they said it was not available on the 27k spindles.

We were gonna be running a 3” facemill so I thought big plus would be the best option. But had no problems without it. But we also only take super light cuts.

Back