What's new
What's new

Auger overload

tcncj

Cast Iron
Hello
I have a Hurco VM10i. The chip auger is throwing a overload error.
The overload protection is triggered. When I turn it back on the auger turns for around a minute. And the overload protection is triggered.
I checked for loose wires.
The auger itself isn't jammed
I'm no electrical genius :o What could the cause be?

Hello
I have a Hurco VM10i. The chip auger is throwing a overload error.
The overload protection is triggered. When I turn it back on the auger turns for around a minute. And the overload protection is triggered.
I checked for loose wires.
The auger itself isn't jammed
I'm no electrical genius :o What could the cause be?

You may want to try jogging in reverse. Also, check the cabinet for anything popped or loose.

Check the amperage, the motor could have an issue and be drawing too much current. I would also check the voltages it is receiving, a voltage drop will cause an increased amperage draw.

If I measure correct.
Multimeter: one pin on a phase and one on ground I measure around 128V on each phase.
Doesn't seem correct to me?

If you can, use a clamp on ammeter to check the amp draw on the phases as well. Then check what the overload is set to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I measure correct.
Multimeter: one pin on a phase and one on ground I measure around 128V on each phase.
Doesn't seem correct to me?

Measure across phases as I assume it is a 3 phase auger, line 1&2, 2&3, and 1&3.

Also even if it seems to run fine it could have an issue like a bearing ready to seize causing an excessive drag making the motor work too hard.

I'm no expert on this so I just tell what I do haha

Multimeter at 20A
connected in series between 1 lead and the motor
It shows 0,68A
Motor is also rated for 0,68A so that's good I guess?

But it's increasing to above 1,4A and it tripped

I'm no expert on this so I just tell what I do haha

Multimeter at 20A
connected in series between 1 lead and the motor
It shows 0,68A
Motor is also rated for 0,68A so that's good I guess?

It's been running for 5 minutes now without tripping....

Check all leads. Good luck, I need to run to the hardware store. Will be playing electrician, carpenter and plumber during a lull in shop work.

One other thought before I split, if that motor is pulling full load name plate amps with the auger unloaded either it is getting tired or there is a mechanical drag on the auger.

No drag.
I can move the auger by hand very smoothly through the reduction.
Bearings are all ok.
But I noticed the shaft was sticking out a bit and a bearing didn't seat properly.
It was sticking out by half its width.
The grease from the reduction leaked into the motor and onto the windings.
I removed the grease from the windings and installed the shaft properly.

The auger is running now to see if it's solved.

Back