Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thesidetalker View Post
    You can't import g-code into camplete to simulate?
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 axis Fidia guy View Post
    Nope, that is the main concern I have.

I don't think (or at least I was told) that is really the point of Camplete to check existing Gcode. It is to fix/minimize/optimize the toolpath motions before they are output into Gcode. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but a high end seat of vericut (not lite or whatever) can actually fix the Gcode if it will make a crash? I don't know so I ask. I think Camplete is going a different direction in doing that (fixes/whatnot) before the code, ALL based on your machine and options etc....

There is a (new?) user to 5 axis that is using Camplete with his machine and says it is a Godsend(sic)... Brian something? Maybe he will see this thread and chime in about the pros and cons of Camplete and if it is better/wrose than something like Vericut*, or similar

*Have never used Vericut FYI

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I don't think (or at least I was told) that is really the point of Camplete to check existing Gcode. It is to fix/minimize/optimize the toolpath motions before they are output into Gcode. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but a high end seat of vericut (not lite or whatever) can actually fix the Gcode if it will make a crash? I don't know so I ask. I think Camplete is going a different direction in doing that (fixes/whatnot) before the code, ALL based on your machine and options etc....

There is a (new?) user to 5 axis that is using Camplete with his machine and says it is a Godsend(sic)... Brian something? Maybe he will see this thread and chime in about the pros and cons of Camplete and if it is better/wrose than something like Vericut*, or similar

*Have never used Vericut FYI
    Seems silly you couldn't make edits.

Hate to admit it, but was watching one of NYC CNC's videos about getting his new UMC750 going and showed some clips from Camplete. Looked like it showed the G code as the simulation ran. One would think you would be allowed to make manual edits at that point (and I'm thinking if so, why couldn't you just cut and paste a different program at that point?)

OTOH, the point is to collision check and optimize, so I suppose you wouldn't want some humpty dumpty making a fat-finger edit AFTER the code is checked to have them make a stupid mistake and say "Camplete crashed my machine!"

Nope, that is the main concern I have.
    I see what you're saying about checking the toolpaths and not the actual G-code. If camplete is taking in an APT file I generate, then processing that into G-code, that isn't any different (in theory) to my other post processor. Both (in theory) could make mistakes, or not interpret records correctly. Although I'm sure the folks at Camplete have their shit absolutely dialed in.

Course that's what I think of my 5axis PostHaste template. I'm posting an APT file from Surfcam, then that's processed by PostHaste. I get pretty good code, until I find the next thing I need to fix But usually that's when I'm trying something new. But if you don't, why bother? You'll be left behind in the dust doing the 'same old way' right?

I agree with you about something like Vericut. I'd rather have something check my G-code, not toolpaths. Simulation is already in CAM, essentially Camplete is checking the same thing in a way and you're relying on their post to get it 100% right. (I'm sure it probably does)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thesidetalker View Post
    Seems silly you couldn't make edits.

Hate to admit it, but was watching one of NYC CNC's videos about getting his new UMC750 going and showed some clips from Camplete. Looked like it showed the G code as the simulation ran. One would think you would be allowed to make manual edits at that point (and I'm thinking if so, why couldn't you just cut and paste a different program at that point?)

OTOH, the point is to collision check and optimize, so I suppose you wouldn't want some humpty dumpty making a fat-finger edit AFTER the code is checked to have them make a stupid mistake and say "Camplete crashed my machine!"

I see what you're saying about checking the toolpaths and not the actual G-code. If camplete is taking in an APT file I generate, then processing that into G-code, that isn't any different (in theory) to my other post processor. Both (in theory) could make mistakes, or not interpret records correctly. Although I'm sure the folks at Camplete have their shit absolutely dialed in.

Course that's what I think of my 5axis PostHaste template. I'm posting an APT file from Surfcam, then that's processed by PostHaste. I get pretty good code, until I find the next thing I need to fix But usually that's when I'm trying something new. But if you don't, why bother? You'll be left behind in the dust doing the 'same old way' right?

I agree with you about something like Vericut. I'd rather have something check my G-code, not toolpaths. Simulation is already in CAM, essentially Camplete is checking the same thing in a way and you're relying on their post to get it 100% right. (I'm sure it probably does)
    you can edit the g code, but not exactly copy/paste, you'd have to do it one line at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by empwoer View Post
    you can edit the g code, but not exactly copy/paste, you'd have to do it one line at a time.
    I had a long demo on CAMPlete last year, with my project I intentionally left a bunch of toolholder shank collisions to see if they caught it in my program. Indeed they did, however it was back to the drawing board in into Powermill to actually fix the problems, then back to CAMPlete all over again. There is no fixing within the system, they will optimize your toolpath and smooth out axis moves,if you feel comfortable with them messing around with your cut files. Personally I would like to spit out my best program, and have someone tell me if the G-code crashes, I will smooth out my own programs within my cam.

5. Likes thesidetalker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Personally I would like to spit out my best program, and have someone tell me if the G-code crashes, I will smooth out my own programs within my cam.
    That would make a lot more sense. You want your CAM to be the master, such that if you tweak/add/delete an unrelated operation, you don't have to send the entire program back through the verification software.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a long demo on CAMPlete last year, with my project I intentionally left a bunch of toolholder shank collisions to see if they caught it in my program. Indeed they did, however it was back to the drawing board in into Powermill to actually fix the problems, then back to CAMPlete all over again. There is no fixing within the system, they will optimize your toolpath and smooth out axis moves,if you feel comfortable with them messing around with your cut files. Personally I would like to spit out my best program, and have someone tell me if the G-code crashes, I will smooth out my own programs within my cam.
    That seems kind of weird. What I was working with I could modify/exchange the holder* inside of the the CAMplete software and re-simulate to check for crashes, no need to go back to the original cam/nci file...

Maybe the software has changed, or maybe it "reacts" differently depending on the initial setup-machine definition... I dunno...

* that does have it's own problems if someone comes behind you and does NOT check the programs with CAMplete... also the holder definitions seemed kinda screwy back then, just a pita to get setup.. (hopefully it is different now)

8. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

isnt it the same thing tho? you're still fixing stuff in your cam wether you got vericut telling you about your crashes etc or camplete.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    That seems kind of weird. What I was working with I could modify/exchange the holder* inside of the the CAMplete software and re-simulate to check for crashes, no need to go back to the original cam/nci file...

Maybe the software has changed, or maybe it "reacts" differently depending on the initial setup-machine definition... I dunno...

* that does have it's own problems if someone comes behind you and does NOT check the programs with CAMplete... also the holder definitions seemed kinda screwy back then, just a pita to get setup.. (hopefully it is different now)
    no you're right, you can change stickout, holders etc within camplete