What's new
What's new

Automatic backup of Fanuc parameters.

LockNut

Stainless
As an applications engineer, we happen upon these small tidbits of info now and then that can make life easier for some of us and save huge headaches down the line. The below is valid but I would preface this with a stern test,test,test. Backup your parameters in the normal way first before doing this. One reason for doing this besides it simply being invisible is in case your manual backup files get misplaced or corrupted.

I’ve been informed by Fanuc that the i Series of CNCs, (both 0 and 30) can be set to back up its parameters automatically to a CMOS.

Parameter 10340 bits 0,1,and 2 must be a “1” OiD&F and 30 series

Parameter 10341 is the number of days between backups – i.e. 90, 120, 360, 180, etc. OiD&F and 30 series.

Parameter 10342 is the number of backups saved, such as the last 2, etc. This is usually set to a “2”

In response to an excellent question, should you find it necessary to actually retrieve the data saved, it is done by accessing the machine’s boot menu, hold the two right most soft keys while starting the machine.

Going to “SRAM DATA UTILITY” and then “retrieve backup”.

The data is held in inverse order, so file #1 is the most recent, #2 is the second most, etc.. Not valid for OiD&F

Paul

What say ye Bill?

-------------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Last edited:
10341 & 2 are clearly marked "BACKUP INTERVAL".

So can the backup intervals be less then 90 days? Is it a total backup or just system parameters?

How much memory space is on the CMOS chip? How many backups can it store? Any reason you shouldn't increase the stored backups?

I figure this isn't in the manual or you a applications engineer wouldn't be calling it a tidbit and getting the information directly from Fanuc.

Makes me wonder if getting this information out and people using it makes life easier for Fanuc in regards to having to chase down customers lost parameters cause of dead batteries but that is a wonder.

Dead batteries don't erase backups do they? Surly not or what'd be the point.

That is a awfully nice tip Paul! Copy n Paste! Suppose you got one more tidbit left in ya?:D

I apologize in advance because this is completely Off topic but how often do you get the attention of an applications engineer from your MTDer?

I asked this question to the group a while back. The general opinion was that the ladder needed edited to witch I'm not capable of doing. Thread is below if you care to look.

I realize for safety and liability reasons you won't be able to tell how or what to do in solving my problem but maybe a simple Yes or No to one question could stop me from thinking about it once and for all. Maybe you can't address that matter at all idk?

Ok... There is a M code that puts the machine in service mode, let's me rotate the spindle. No matter what I do I can't get the control to execute the code in automatic mode. Is the only way to make this happens a ladder modification?

Puma 300 0i-td btw.

Again sorry for the tangent everyone

Thanks for your time....

Brent

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...restricted-running-auto-parameter-mtb-322675/

10341 & 2 are clearly marked "BACKUP INTERVAL".

So can the backup intervals be less then 90 days? Is it a total backup or just system parameters?

How much memory space is on the CMOS chip? How many backups can it store? Any reason you shouldn't increase the stored backups?

I figure this isn't in the manual or you a applications engineer wouldn't be calling it a tidbit and getting the information directly from Fanuc.

Makes me wonder if getting this information out and people using it makes life easier for Fanuc in regards to having to chase down customers lost parameters cause of dead batteries but that is a wonder.

Dead batteries don't erase backups do they? Surly not or what'd be the point.

That is a awfully nice tip Paul! Copy n Paste! Suppose you got one more tidbit left in ya?:D

I apologize in advance because this is completely Off topic but how often do you get the attention of an applications engineer from your MTDer?

I asked this question to the group a while back. The general opinion was that the ladder needed edited to witch I'm not capable of doing. Thread is below if you care to look.

I realize for safety and liability reasons you won't be able to tell how or what to do in solving my problem but maybe a simple Yes or No to one question could stop me from thinking about it once and for all. Maybe you can't address that matter at all idk?

Ok... There is a M code that puts the machine in service mode, let's me rotate the spindle. No matter what I do I can't get the control to execute the code in automatic mode. Is the only way to make this happens a ladder modification?

Puma 300 0i-td btw.

Again sorry for the tangent everyone

Thanks for your time....

Brent

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...restricted-running-auto-parameter-mtb-322675/

Brent,
A lot of questions here, LOL. I will try to answer them all. I work for Doosan. All of these parameters are in the Fanuc book but as far as I know Fanuc does not put this in the operation manual. I will check tomorrow. Then again, try finding anything in those books when you need it right away. Memory on the CMOS? I have no idea but the whole system parameters only create a file a few Kilobytes in size when you download them the usual way. The parameter book does make mention of all the program files getting backed up also. We usually don't get this question a lot but that probably because NOBODY really knows about this, even apps engineers. One of those obscure Fanuc things. Generally, we only release this kind of stuff when someone asks and we go search for it. I love quests like this, to help our customers and to enrich my own brain.

CMOS is the area where system files are stored, like option software and such so is not volatile.

I checked one of our floor machines today before posting this and it was set to 3 backups and I think you can set it to less than 90 days. I will check tomorrow when I get back in the showroom.

As for your machine, there is a keep relay that will enable the M code for turning on service mode. Do you have the blue book that is supposed to be in the electrical cabinet door? It will be in that book. Good thing you know the M code because I am not supposed to give that out. No ladder mod needed.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Oh, and I made a small mistake in my original post. These parameters apply to ALL i series controls, OiD&F and all 30 series controls.

Paul

Back